Vids of PT-425 with 22.7ci Wheel Motors

/ Vids of PT-425 with 22.7ci Wheel Motors #1  

KentT

Elite Member
Tractor
1993 Power Trac 1430 w/Kubota diesel engine
Some had asked to see videos of my larger wheel motors in action, and I finally had an opportunity with my 13-year old grandson shooting some videos of me using the brush cutter on my East Tennessee lot.

Here's a short clip of it climbing a couple of banks at the driveway, with the oil hot from long use in 90+ weather. Before, it would not climb these banks when hot, even if I shut the PTO off...

YouTube - ‪Power-Trac PT-425 Slope Capability With Larger 22.7ci Wheel Motors‬‏

Couple more videos showing mowing banks above and below driveway, if you're interested.

YouTube - ‪Power-Trac PT-425 Mowing Bank Above Driveway‬‏

YouTube - ‪Power-Trac PT-425 Mowing Bank Below Driveway‬‏

Finally, a longer video mowing into the tree line, then backing back up hill. Before, I wouldn't have even tried this when the oil was hot -- I'd have never backed out... a few of the views later in the video show the slopes better.

YouTube - ‪Power-Trac PT-425 Trimming Treeline on Hillside‬‏

Nothing really remarkable here -- just typical PT versatility & utility -- I can just use it in places I would never have tried before...

/ Vids of PT-425 with 22.7ci Wheel Motors #2  
Thanks for posting the slope videos. Looks like you were having some fun. A few comments:

Seeing those spinning blades when the mower is raised is scarry. Do you really have to raise the mower before going up a slope?

I generally leave the mower in float mode going up or down slopes with no problems. The wheel motors handle that very well. I keep a slow pace to generate more torque. If I am heavy on the treadle the PT will stall. I will make a video of cutting our slopes when the grass is long again. I guess I'm lucky that PT decided to install adequate motors in there newer models. It was great that you were able to get better motors.

/ Vids of PT-425 with 22.7ci Wheel Motors
Seeing those spinning blades when the mower is raised is scarry. Do you really have to raise the mower before going up a slope?

It will push the mower up the hills without spinning only on the gentler slopes. On the steeper slopes, I have to raise it to put sufficient weight on the front wheels to keep it from spinning -- and that's with loaded tires all the way around. I do try to keep it as low to the ground as possible.

I keep it on the ground where I can... Similarly, I mow around the slopes when I can, keeping the mower down at all times. That just doesn't work on the steeper banks though...

BTW -- my grandson was quite a distance away when shooting this, using a 15X zoom lens, so that's why some of the shots shake so much...

Last edited:
   / Vids of PT-425 with 22.7ci Wheel Motors #4  
BTW -- my grandson was quite a distance away when shooting this, using a 15X zoom lens, so that's why some of the shots shake so much...

Good. I was going to tell you to get that boy a tripod because the first video looked like one of those shaky bigfoot sightings.... LOOK! Somethings moving in the woods!!!! :laughing:

Nice job on the wheel motors. That is impressive. I would have had to shut off the PTO to get mine up those slopes.

And I hear you about the weight transfer. I do it, too. There are a few spots on our property where the tractor will go, but there is just quite not enough traction in the soft woodland forest floor until I lift the deck just an inch. All it takes is to get the deck wheels off the ground and a lot of weight is transferred to the front wheels of the tractor. Then you just have to remember to pay attention because if the grade increases you can drive up on the deck when its not in float.

/ Vids of PT-425 with 22.7ci Wheel Motors #5  
All of the ground i mow is on a slope and i've found that i'll drive up on the mower deck on all but the most gentle slope when in float. So i try to mow across the slope or downhill and minimize mowing uphill.

Thanks for the videos!!

All of the ground i mow is on a slope and i've found that i'll drive up on the mower deck on all but the most gentle slope when in float. So i try to mow across the slope or downhill and minimize mowing uphill.

Thanks for the videos!!

I have the same problem -- it'll even crab downhill when mowing around the steeper slopes (perhaps logging chains are needed ??), so I typically mow down then back up the hill. I also prefer to mow downhill and do so as much as I can, but that doesn't work very well especially on the bank below the driveway. Plus, I don't like to tilt the cutter down so far as I head off the bank that I can see underneath it. I've added a 6" strip of conveyor belting across the back of it (instead of the typical safety chains) but I still won't tilt it down enough to where I can see the blades...

To mow downhill on the bank above the driveway, I end up making long loops, and I've found it's much faster to simply drive up the bank, then back down mowing, as shown in the second video...

/ Vids of PT-425 with 22.7ci Wheel Motors #7  
I have the same problem -- it'll even crab downhill when mowing around the steeper slopes (perhaps logging chains are needed ??), so I typically mow down then back up the hill. I also prefer to mow downhill and do so as much as I can, but that doesn't work very well especially on the bank below the driveway. Plus, I don't like to tilt the cutter down so far as I head off the bank that I can see underneath it. I've added a 6" strip of conveyor belting across the back of it (instead of the typical safety chains) but I still won't tilt it down enough to where I can see the blades...

To mow downhill on the bank above the driveway, I end up making long loops, and I've found it's much faster to simply drive up the bank, then back down mowing, as shown in the second video...

Say, i like your idea about the belt on the back of the deck!

It's pretty spooky seeing those blades spinning under the mower deck and i try to minimize those moments too. :eek:

I found a mud flap that broke off of a Semi along the highway, and am thinking of mounting part of it on the back of the mower deck, probably similar to what you did, and since you use 6 inches, I'll try the same.

Say, i like your idea about the belt on the back of the deck!

It's pretty spooky seeing those blades spinning under the mower deck and i try to minimize those moments too. :eek:

I found a mud flap that broke off of a Semi along the highway, and am thinking of mounting part of it on the back of the mower deck, probably similar to what you did, and since you use 6 inches, I'll try the same.

I had to make a slit in it at each "corner" on the back, where it angles to the side. Then, the material will flex enough to where it works pretty well. Otherwixe the "corners" hold the back of deck up off the rear wheels. I've also replaced the cheap plastic rear wheels on the brushcutter with some heavy-duty, wider, greasable ones off a ZTR (or something similar)...

/ Vids of PT-425 with 22.7ci Wheel Motors #9  
I... I've also replaced the cheap plastic rear wheels on the brushcutter with some heavy-duty, wider, greasable ones off a ZTR (or something similar)...

That would be a handy mod. Any more info would be greatly appreciated.
;) ;)

/ Vids of PT-425 with 22.7ci Wheel Motors #10  
That would be a handy mod. Any more info would be greatly appreciated.
;) ;)
Having to unbolt the rear wheels to adjust height is a pain. A suggested mod to make that easier would be greatly appreciated.