What is the down force of the PT-425?

/ What is the down force of the PT-425? #1  

Clumber

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601 HST Nov 2019
Trying to decide if my PT could handle a wobble auger and a drive unit made by Danuser.com. The auger requires a considerable downforce to be effective The MS 615 mini skid steer drive unit can operate on the 8 GPM and 2500 PSI to produce 1299 ft lbs of torque.
These units are only abot $300 more the the PT PHDs.

Does anyone know the downforce in ft lbs of the PT-425?

Augers | Auger Bits | PTO Diggers | OEM Parts | Danuser Machine

Wobble Auger | Danuser Machine

Auger Drive Units | High Pressure Auger Drive Units | Danuser Machine See MS-615 mini Skid steer units

/ What is the down force of the PT-425? #2  
Roughly the same as its lift capability of 800 lbs...

Which side of a two-way hydraulic cylinder you're using impacts both the speed of operation and the power transmitted, but that should be close enough -- especially since I've found my PT will lift far more than its rated 800 lb capacity. I think that's actually more of a "tipping point" stat, defining when it will do the infamous "PT pucker" rather than the actual lift capability -- i.e. useful load, rather than true maximum capacity.

So, in a nutshell, a PT will transfer the full weight of the front of the machine, including operator, onto the attachment. Even with scales, how much that equates to is hard to "compute or measure" due to the variables of the slope/angle you're operating on, weight of the operator, whether you have a full tank of fuel, etc.

If you're custom-designing something, you could design it so that you could add weight to the PHD or hitch, as long as the PT could still lift and carry it (800 lbs max). Then you could use that higher weight and add on the downforce generated by the hydraulics lifting the front of the PT up onto the attachment...

Last edited:
   / What is the down force of the PT-425? #3  
Hydraulic scale.

Maybe something like this.

Fill the base end of a hyd cyl with hyd fluid, bleed the air and install a hyd gage in the base end port of the hyd cyl. Sit it on the floor and use the bucket to push down on the cyl, and read the pressure in lbs. Just a thought.

Might also work with air.

/ What is the down force of the PT-425? #4  
deleted