Power Trac Future

/ Power Trac Future #1  

lfbaumgart

Tractor
in limbo right now
We've been looking for a tractor and looking at various types when I came across Power Trac which seemed to be an ideal solution for us, with some great reviews. Accordingly, I sent in a request for information regarding owners, or perhaps rental companies here, in the Pacific Northwest. When I never got a response, I phoned and spoke with someone in sales who said they would e-mail me some information. That was two weeks ago and no follow up. With the trend being towards sustainability given the current economic situation especially towards smaller acreages, one would expect that Power Trac would be advertising in magazines catering to that trend, or at least have a Facebook page, like Ventrac, which is free.
Just wondering if we should be investing in this product or just going with John Deere's new Series 1 sub-compact?

/ Power Trac Future #2  
Hello Lfbaumgart,

I am a residential owner; planning a PT purchase; haven't pulled the trigger yet. This forum has been invaluable for info, much better than Power-Trac themselves. I'm sure other forum members will pipe up soon.

I understand your frustration, but that appears to be the norm with PT. As a residential owner, I am willing to put up with near-zero after-sale support, if I am getting a reliable machine that can mostly be fixed with off-the-shelf parts, by myself or someone locally who is handy with welding and hydraulics.

If I was betting my business on this equipment line, I'm not sure that I could convince myself to take the risk(s). (Apparently, things almost completely shut down at PT for two weeks during the local hunting season...)

In my humble opinion, PT could be an American Success Story, but there simply does not seem to be the interest or the drive within PT for that...

When I'm ready to buy, I will simply call PT and tell them I am ready to charge my credit card for a package of my choosing. I am assuming they will return that call.

Hope this helps,

/ Power Trac Future #5  
I live just north of Vancouver, WA. If you want to take a spin on one please give drop me a note. Which machine are you considering?

PT is not going anywhere soon. They make a ton of money off of mining equipment and this is a strong secondary business to them.

PT is crap about advertising, and publicity. They have internet, although I don't think there is one person in the office who knows how to use it.

But, they do know how to use the phone (which you will NEVER get from any of the big companies). You will speak directly with a mechanic, engineer, or sales person.

You should read through this forum. PT is a blessing and a curse. You either need to know a good mechanic, or be comfortable turning a wrench as if you need any repairs you are pretty much on your own (PT Will get you parts, and will talk to your mechanic for hours but you have to ship back). The PT are very, very simple as tractors go. Most of the work can be done by you if you just trust yourself. They are very, very versatile. But that said, they do everything good but nothing brilliant. If you are looking for plowing, look elsewhere, but if you are looking for a good do everything tractor PT is quite amazing. PT's have a fit and finish issue when they first arrive. If you decide to buy new, a flight to Tazwell and testing your machine would be a good idea. PT tends to sometimes miss tightening hoses and stress testing pumps. Once you pass the first 40 hours they become extremely reliable.

I am so very, very glad I bought my PT. I treat it like crap and it keeps going. It is a simple machine, engine pump and motors. It is highly manueverable, highly uncomfortable (no suspension seat). We all modify ours and buy implements from 3rd parties.

I think for most small farms this is an ideal machine, much better than a Kubota or Deer due to flexibility and ease of maintenance. It moves quicker, does more and is a nice all around machine. But, as I said, it does not do everything great. Lift is a bit low and anemic, ground moving is not great, it has one speed and it is slow and bumpy. It is low to the ground....

But if you know all this and can live with it you will be a happy bunny.

Carl

/ Power Trac Future
Looking at the PT-425; but may need to put more emphasis on plowing than versatility. Don't know yet as we've taken the horses off the property to move towards sustainability and wondering what to do with ten acres here in Maple Valley, Washington. Just put some hives on the property and now looking at converting part of the small hay barn into a chicken coop. Now considering what kind of crop, if any, if possible, on about 6 acres. We have about 3 additional acres in trees, conifers, alders and maples and quite often needing to cut up and move trees which come down in wind storms. We've got a DR grader as we have a long drive and pole barn as well as a DR brush mower both needing to be pulled by something more powerful than our garden tractor.

If I was younger I would be considering dumping the engines and getting a couple of draft horses. At least then we wouldn't be mowing the pasture.

Having been in sales and marketing most of my career, I worry about lack of response from a manufacturer and commitment to their products.

/ Power Trac Future #7  
If you mean plowing ground verses snow, i doubt the PT is for you. It is good for lots of other things though. If i was only plowing a few acres, I would be tempted to hire that out and have a tractor that met my needs better for the rest of the year.

Terry is great at helping you when something breaks

Ken

/ Power Trac Future #8  
Sustainability in what form? Or what level of comfort do you want to live in? I forget, but I thought it was 3 acres per person if you planted right...

/ Power Trac Future
I like the thought about renting a tractor to plow.

We're just moving towards sustainability, never intending to attain it, although I did marry a farm girl whose family pretty much did it all and now abhors the thought of killing chickens and smell of turkeys.

Regardless, I really like the PT-425 for its cost-effective versatility.

I appreciate the information. Thanks!

/ Power Trac Future #10  
If you are looking at planting a crop, PT425 is not for traditional plowing. It doesn't have the traction of a tractor of the same weight. If, however, you are looking at planting a large garden to sustain your family with many different crops, I would consider the tiller on a PT425 over a traditional plow. (Also, get the book by Mel Bartholomew titled Square Foot Gardening. It will show you how to optimize space and crops for maximum production with minimum labor. A great read! :thumbsup:) Throw in a large material bucket and the grapple bucket and you can haul all the garden mulch, soil, etc... and gather tons of firewood with ease. Since you have a DR brush cutter stick with towing that behind the PT. There was a TBN member here that mowed with the PT425 60"mower and towed a self powered acre eaze mower offset for a 9' wide cut! I do not know how the DR grader would tow, but if a lawn tractor can tow it, the PT425 can tow it, in my opinion. I'd also get the pallet forks. They are very handy. ;)