10 hr's on 422

/ 10 hr's on 422 #1  

johara1

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ventrac 4500P
10 hr\'s on 422

well it was time to put the 422 to work,i ordered two tri axle loads of 2a mod. that came at the same time,late afternoon,so it realy had a workout.
i wanted to try the mod. on the blade,it was about 50%. i need to make the feet larger.you can still grade with it,iput a nice crown on with it, the tilt works great for this.
now the bucket worked great , it needs a little work to make it a little stiffer but over all very impressive.
the hyd. power is the best part,i don't know how any body could ask for more,the engine power is more than i expected!
the negative side,the engine just shut down for no reason. this happened twice. engine oil leak,one pint in 4 hr's, (valve cover gasket) hyd. leak(4 cyls. leaking around the rods) 1 female quick coupler on the pto leaking. total hyd. loss in 10 hr's 1 gal.
as you can tell a call to terry monday morning is in order.
i get these little bugs out i'll be a happy camper! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ 10 hr's on 422 #2  
Re: 10 hr\'s on 422

Great! Sounds like it will be a workhorse for you.

Pesky leaks will be solved after you go through the machine a while.

/ 10 hr's on 422

mr, i didn't have any idea why it shut off, i wonder if anyone had this problem with the robin engines?
the leaks i can get fixed, the modifications, when i'm done and satisified they work i'll pass them along. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ 10 hr's on 422 #4  

Does the Robin have a low oil shut down system? Maybe it detected the oil loss?

/ 10 hr's on 422

i would think it does, i tried to duplicate the same situation i was in yesterday and it did the same thing. it just quit! it's full of oil i checked wires nothing. the only thing i can think of is the floats in the carb.
when you are really in to it fillng the big bucket up and picks the back end up a little, and don't let down ever so easy,and it bounces just a little it will shut off.
i'm going to ask terry, see what he comes up with. i have a very long list,i hope he doesn't plan to go out for lunch. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ 10 hr's on 422 #6  

I've never had that problem but it still sounds like a low oil shut off problem. When the machine is tilted the oil flows to one end?

/ 10 hr's on 422 #7  

<font color="blue"> it bounces just a little it will shut off </font>

There's our first clue. Could be a lose wire, carb float or low oil sensor if the oil is going to one end of the tanks, like PTRich suggests.

So... how does the low oil shut off system work in the Robin engine? Does it work on oil pressure or fluid level? If pressure, it might not be the problem. If fluid level, see where the sensor is and make a determination if that could be the problem.

You could duplicate the angle by running the back tires up on a ramp and seeing if it dies.

If it still runs on an angle, I'd suspect lose wiring somewhere that is gettng jarred on a bounce.

This is interesting stuff... please keep us informed as to what you find. Thanks.

/ 10 hr's on 422

guys, why i think it's the float is, it doesn't want to start like it floods out. i tried this, i disconnected the wire to kill the engine and it started right up. the wire runs to carb. so i guess it would be the low oil press kill switch. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ 10 hr's on 422 #9  

Johara1,

The wire to your carb is your shut down solenoid. When power is put to it, a plunger retracts allowing fuel through the main jet. When de-powered, it closes off fuel to the main jet. It's designed to prevent run-on and back firing when shutting down. If you were getting power loss to the solenoid, it would shut down.

/ 10 hr's on 422 #10  

Agreeing w/ Duane, the red wire going to the carb on the opposite side as the fuel pump needs 12vdc to allow the engine to run...I haven't traced out the lead from the oil pressure sw. yet to see it's role...but for your needs ,I would pull the black front cover of the switch console and give a tug on all the connectors to the ign. sw. you should "almost" need a set of pliers to pull off any leads(of the ign.sw.)

If it takes a long crank time to refire, make sure the "pulse" hose on the back of the fuel pump(and at the crankcase) is on tight and that the fuel line at the bottom (input) of the pump is on tight...but the fact that that you can pull (a) wire and it fires immediately says it's not fuel related.

I'll look a little closer tonite now that we have a real problem to "shoot". /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif