Anyone make your own hydraulic hoses?

/ Anyone make your own hydraulic hoses? #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
Given that hoses, whether I order them from PT or get them custom-made at Carquest, are quite expensive, I decided to give making my own a try. Essentially, this involves a roll of bulk hose and reuseable fittings. Here are the two URL's:

Bulk 1/4" 2750 PSI hose at Northern Tool

Reusable 1/4" JIC37 female fitting

These sizes cover all the 1/4" hoses on my old machine, can't promise it's exactly the same on the newer models!

The fittings are the most expensive part, but then they are reuseable (and they're about the same or just a little more than what I've paid at Carquest). The big advantage in my mind here is that if a hose bursts, you don't have to get in the car and trek off to Carquest, or you don't have to wait a week for a hose to ship from PT.

Has anyone else taken this approach? I'm going to give it a try (given that I'll need hoses for the selector valve project, and don't like having to plan ahead all the way down to exact hose length! Call me lazy). I'll post and let you guys know how well this appears to work after I've tried it.

Dave

/ Anyone make your own hydraulic hoses? #3  
I've done this with my current tractor. In some cases I had the autoparts store crimp on the fitting at one end and I cut the hose & installed the resuable at the other end. It made it alot easier - no precise measuring of a curvy hose. Works very easy and fast for small hoses, but it took some muscle & time with a larger 5/8ID hose.

If you do it, make sure you blow or flush them out prior to using them. Sometimes a small burr of rubber might get turned or up pushed in when screwing the fittting into the hose.

/ Anyone make your own hydraulic hoses?
Cool Schultz...good advice!

Dave

/ Anyone make your own hydraulic hoses? #5  
Dave
I have used the Northern Tool fitting without any problems. When doing a project in the evening or on a Sunday they let you complete the job without having to make a trip to get another hose made.
For fitting other than reusable hose ends. Check out HydraulicHoseFittings.com they have all the fittings and hoses needed for most any compact tractor hydraulic project.

/ Anyone make your own hydraulic hoses?
Cool...I see they have some 3/16" O-ring to JIC fittings...just what I need to FINALLY install the bleeder hose connection on my old hydraulic pump.

Thx,
Dave

/ Anyone make your own hydraulic hoses? #7  
jic reuseable are ok for low pressure, but be carefull in a higher pressure hose.lube the inside and make sure you are inside the rubber when you start it in the hose.
you did buy double spiral hose,3000 lb.? i think thats all they use.

/ Anyone make your own hydraulic hoses? #8  
My Dad and brother used to make all their own hoses rather than buy them. Always seemed to work pretty good for them, but technology has changed a lot since then.

Steve