Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Power-Trac PT184

Default PT-184 engine swap

I am in the process of changing my engine on my PT-184. It originally had a 18hp briggs opposed cylinder engine and I'm upgrading to a brand new 23hp briggs V-twin. I would of liked to of stayed with an oppossed cylinder engine (direct bolt up) but they do not make them anymore, so I had to go with the V-twin and do a little re-enginering on things because of the size differance of the two engines. My Father bought this tractor new in 1995 (i think). I bought it off him in 2002 when he got his PT-422. It has been a great tractor, I never had any problems untill the engine went. With the price of new tractors and the attachments (bucket, mower, snowblade) and the lack of my bank account, I decided to get a new engine.

My power-trac is an older model with the pins for the atachments, not the quick disconect plate. Has any one installed one of the plates on an older power-trac? I was thinking of doing this to mine once I'm done with the engine swap.

Thanks for looking,
    Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PT-184 engine swap-1214091406a-1-.jpg   PT-184 engine swap-downsized_0520091723-1-.jpg   PT-184 engine swap-040.jpg   PT-184 engine swap-062.jpg  

Tractor
    Power Trac PT 425

Default Re: PT-184 engine swap

I think you're going to like that new Vanguard V-twin... much smoother engine, and should be quieter, if you can rig a good muffler setup.
    Power Trac PT-425 w/numerous attachments
    Allis-Chalmers B-210 w/several attachments
    Gravely 5260 walk-behind w/two attachments
    Yamaha Rhino 450 UTV w/numerous mods
    More pictures & info about my garden tractors

Tractor
    Power-Trac PT184

Good to hear about the smoothness.

I have a new muffler system that I bought for the V-twin engine, I'll get a pic of it as soon as I can get back at it.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    PT 422

I don't see why you couldn't swap to a quick disconnect plate or put 3pt connections on a quick disconnect plate.

Nice project!

Tractor
    2000 Power Trac 422

Quote Originally Posted by cqaigy2 View Post
    I don't see why you couldn't swap to a quick disconnect plate or put 3pt connections on a quick disconnect plate.

Nice project!
    I would definitely go with the quick attach system. I don't think it would be that difficult. The quick attach tractor end plate is a three point like system. Dimensions are different of course.
    Bob Rip
    Tell me and I will hear.
    Show me and I will see.
    Let me do and I will learn.
    Let me fail and I will understand.

Tractor
    2005 Power Trac 422

Call PT and talk to Terry. Maybe they will sell you the PT-180 quick attach plate as a spare part. Your family is obviously a good PT customer. Dropping the hint that you are part of a multi-generational PT family couldn't hurt.

The PT-180 quick attach plate would be the easiest to retrofit to your model, since it doesn't use hydraulics to attach/detach.

It is nice to see one of the earlier models still going strong.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Now in Port Orchard, WA
    2005 PT-422
    4n1 bucket, minihoe, auger, 48" mower, land pride aerator, tow adaptor, forklift, crane, Herd GT77 spreader, LMB, 60" blade, M1 abrams turret.
    PT422 (6/23/05) photo page

Tractor
    PT425 (Dec 2010)

It could get expensive, depending on the number of attachments you have to modify. However you will love the new system.
    I married me a hippy, ran away with a stringy haired blond,
    Now we're both old and happy, fishing on our own Golden Pond. -- Merle Haggard

PT 425 (Dec 2010), Blade, Snow Blower, Sweeper, Spreader, LMB, 4n1, Small Bucket/Teeth, Utility Grapple, Brush Cutter, Box Blade, Mini Hoe/Thumb, Forks, Power Dumper

Tractor
    Power-Trac PT184

Thanks for the advice, I will have to look into the plate from PT a little harder once i'm done with the current engine project. I just figured that one of you guys have already done the plate or something similiar already.

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Looking at the whole pin setup on the older units, it might be easier to just replace the entire FEL arm assembly with a newer arm assembly with the QA already installed from the factory. Then you would need a female QA plate for each attachment at well.

Also, do the older units have the aux PTO knee lever?
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Tractor
    PT425 (Dec 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by MossRoad View Post
    Looking at the whole pin setup on the older units, it might be easier to just replace the entire FEL arm assembly with a newer arm assembly with the QA already installed from the factory. Then you would need a female QA plate for each attachment at well.

Also, do the older units have the aux PTO knee lever?
    I don't see any Aux hydraulic connectors in the photos. Probably no Aux control lever either. It would be a major mod to go with hydraulically controlled QA plates. Probably better to go with PT 180 QA plates that do not use hydraulics.
    I married me a hippy, ran away with a stringy haired blond,
    Now we're both old and happy, fishing on our own Golden Pond. -- Merle Haggard

PT 425 (Dec 2010), Blade, Snow Blower, Sweeper, Spreader, LMB, 4n1, Small Bucket/Teeth, Utility Grapple, Brush Cutter, Box Blade, Mini Hoe/Thumb, Forks, Power Dumper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast