Purchase Decision

/ Purchase Decision #1  

bmac

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC29D
Well, folks, I have come to a decision on a tractor that, until about 2 weeks ago, I didn't think would happen. Before I spill the beans, I've got a few things to say.

I began my search for a tractor about a year ago. I was convinced that a Kubota BX22 was exactly what I needed. However, never going into anything without over-researching it, I happened upon TBN and began to spend way too much time reading these forums. Still looked like the BX22 was just right for me. However, before I finalized my purchase decision, I decided to check out this strange creature that Moss Road had been referring to in other sections. He made it sound interesting, at least.

Well, late last August (I believe), I ventured into the Power-Trac section and began to read. And read. And read some more. "Man, this is one cool machine!", I thought to myself. So I began asking questions. And, boy-oh-boy, did the responses start coming. Everyone on this site was so helpful, sharing their experiences and recommendations, listening to my goofy questions without being judgemental in their responses. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I felt as if I were being sucked into a cult or something. I kept waiting for the Kool-Aid (sorry if this reference is too obscure).

Anyway, after awhile, I became convinced that I needed one of these machines. I began to envision all of the things I could do, started making a list of the attachments I would get. I ordered the literature and video from PT, talked to the salesman a couple of times with questions, showed the literature to friends and family. I was just waiting for the proper time (financially) to take the plunge.

As Spring arrived, it became clear that I needed to make a decision. It was over the past month that I began getting cold feet about the service issues related to the PT. Despite being put at ease by many of you when I first voiced this concern last Fall, I came to realize that I just didn't have the know-how or time to diagnose and repair problems that would eventually arise. Furthermore, I don't have many small engine repair shops in my area and the one I used to use now only services products they sell. So, as these doubts began to resurface, I again started looking at the Big 3 again (actually, just orange and blue - my green dealer is way over-priced, I believe).

To make a long story even longer, I have decided to get a NH 24D with FEL, backhoe and mower. While I could have gotten a PT425 and probably most implements they offer for what I am going to pay for the NH package, I just feel more comfortable with a machine that I know I can have serviced locally. I know I am going to miss the quick attach features and versatility of the PT - the very things that so excited me about these machines. Also, I'm already getting nervous about the safety issues associated with conventional PTOs, the stability issues of these tractors, etc. All-in-all, I hope I'm making the right decision.

While I've never been a "regular" on this forum, I feel I've come to know many of you somewhat just by reading the posts and engaging in discussions on occassion. Moss Road, to me is the PT ambassador. He represents this forum well both here and in the other sections of TBN. In fact, it was he who led me here from one of the other sections and who "nursed" me along in the early days. His web site is serving new PT owners well with the service instructions and demonstrations. Hans, the "test pilot" amazes me with his vision of what might be possible with the PT as he is always looking at ways to configure other implements to make them work on this platform. Charlie, I see as the "gentleman farmer". Well-spoken, thoughtful, logical. A real intellect. In fact, everyone who participates on this forum brings something unique to the table. It has been a real learning opportunity for me. I really wish I had the "guts" to take the plunge and get the PT.

So, I extend a huge thank you to everyone who has taken his time to share their knowledge and expertise with me. In many respects, I feel like I have stolen time from you as I didn't follow through with my original plan. I don't know how fast you all type, but for me, each post I make seems to take forever. So, as I reflect on this, I feel a little guilty for wasting your time and effort. My apologies.

I will continue to follow the PT adventures on this forum. Probably will be kicking myself in the rear for not getting one myself. In any event, again, I thank you all.

Regards,

Bruce

/ Purchase Decision #2  
Bruce,
You did your homework before you made the decision, that is what counts. I know you will be happy with the NH and will continue to contribute to TBN and the PT forums.
Have a great time with that new machine and stay safe.
PJ

/ Purchase Decision #3  
Congratulations! That is a great tractor. NH was high on my list. TC21D. What a comfortable machine. I think you made the correct decision for you, and that is what is most important. A very capable tractor.

I, too had difficulty with the JD dealers. Really turned me off. Very arrogant. 10 dealers, 10 different prices, none better than the JD list price. That was one of the things I liked about Power Trac. Right up front, they posted their prices and they politely refused to deal on the price. Firm, but fair.

As for the quick attach, well, you can dream of the PT system(just kidding), but you should look into a quick hitch type system for your 3pt implements. It will make a world of difference. One of the triangle type hitch/receiver is what I would get if I had a 3pt.

As for the stolen time, don't even think about feeling guilty. I bent the ears of so many people here before my purchase. That's what TBN is all about. Questions, answers, opinions, respect and friendship.

So, when do you get your new machine and are you going to post pictures? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Purchase Decision #4  
I think that the NH is a great machine. I wish I could afford one. I am still riding an ATV that I use for everything I can think of. I do have a 3 pt. hitch that works ok. I am trying to get a PT 418. Then put in a Chevy small block. Well maybe something more reasonable. Robert /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Purchase Decision
PJ, Thank you for the kind words. As I think I have a TBN addiction, I'm sure I will continue to participate.

Bruce

/ Purchase Decision
MR,
Still generous with your time and words.

It's really a shame that the JD dealer wans't more flexible as they are not more than 5 minutes from my home. Pass by their store 4 times a day on average.

I have already checked out the Quick-Tach by ATI for the FEL. Apparently, the little bucket on the 12LA loader makes most other brand of quick attach systems unusable as they are designed for using skid steer attachments on tractors. I spoke with ATI last week and they have designed one specifically for the 12LA loader. They also make a set of pallet forks to go with it. If I can get a boom pole, I'll be in good shape.

I have also looked at the 3PH quick attach items. Freedom hitch and one other I can't recall at the moment. I'm sure I will add that as well.

As far as time goes, it will depend alot on what I hear from my accountant tomorrow. Friday I received word that he may not finish all of the tax returns on time and will be filing extensions for those not complete. When I get a damage report from him, I'll know more about the timing. With good news, I'll call the dealer tomorrow or Tuesday. As I'm self-employed and file quarterly estimates, this is always an exciting (read nervous) time of year. Not only do I get to pony up for any money owed from last year, I also get the pleasure of making the 1st quarterly payment for this year. Add to that my monthly payroll taxes that are due on the 15th and OUCH!!!

Dealer said it would take about a week and a half to get the FEL and BH in and assembled. So, if everything works out - maybe by the end of next week I'll have the Blue Beast in my garage (assuming I can make room in my garage).

As for posting a picture, I didn't think blue would make it past the filters on the PT forum, but if anyone is interested, I'd be honored to try.

I'm sure I'll continue to dream of PT's, particularly after I spend half a day trying to hook an implement up to the blue one. I'm already dreading the pinched fingers and scraped knuckles.

Again, thanks for all of your help over the past several months. I'm sure I will keep in touch.

/ Purchase Decision
Bryce,
I never said I could afford one /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif . I just figure we could all afford to lose a little weight around here and the kids don't really like wearing shoes anyway and who needs to go on vacation - all those places are too crowded.

Actually, I was seriously considering getting an ATV till I got the tractor bug. When the wife learned that she might get some of her landscaping done if I got a tractor, well, let's just say that she was a little more receptive. For some reason, she wasn't crazy about the idea of me spending my weekends riding through the woods.

Good luck w/ your PT purchase. Hope it happens soon.

/ Purchase Decision #8  
<font color="blue"> It's really a shame that the JD dealer wasn't more flexible as they are not more than 5 minutes from my home. Pass by their store 4 times a day on average. </font>

Not to bash a dead horse, but my closest JD dealer is 3 blocks(about 400 yards as the crow flies) from my front door. Told them my intentions on purchasing a JD4100 and wanted to give them the chance to bid on it along with the other 9 dealers. Told them I don't like to haggle, wheel or deal and told them give me their best price first time, because I would not be back unless they had the best price. They didn't even come close. I didn't go back. I do drive by them quite often with my PT425 in my pickup truck. I'm tempted to pull in and ask for some JD green touch up paint, but I'm affraid to push my luck. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I like the idea of a skid steer quick attach on the FEL arms. Should make life a lot easier for you. You might want to hold off on purchasing any rear, PTO powered implements until you decide on which quick hitch you want to go with, as I've recently read a few posts that mention the length of the drive shaft is lengthened a bit due to the extra few inches that the quick hitch adds. Could save you a couple of dollars in drive shafts later.

Backhoe is making me drool. I couldn't fit one in my budget. Eventually, I'd like to get one, but a trencher and post hole digger would have to come first.

/ Purchase Decision #9  
Best of luck on your decision and purchase. As many have said before, ANY tractor is much, much better than NO tractor!

Dave

/ Purchase Decision #10  
Congratulations on your soon to be new tractor. Keep us posted on how you like it and your attachments. We like pictures even if not of a power trac.