When is it time to buy new tires

/ When is it time to buy new tires #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
What is the guage that you use to buy new tires (referring to the AG/ Industrials) Some of my inside tires have 1/2" or a bit more, but the outsides all have 1" or more..

/ When is it time to buy new tires #2  
I'll buy a replacement tire when the slime isn't enough to keep the air in the tire during a day's work.

I've got some pretty big holes and slices but they'll still hold air, maybe only for a day, maybe for a few weeks. It might depend on exactly where the gashes are when I park, or not?

I'll never wear out the tread since there is no driving on pavement.

Phil

/ When is it time to buy new tires #4  
Just had to order a set of four for my 2001 model -- two of the four were starting to leak down slowly due to dry-rotted sidewalls on the TruPower lugs that came on it...

I have sealant in them along with the WW fluid fill -- but that only works for the part that is "under water"... if it sits for a long while, those two would leak down enough air from the top part of the tire that they'd get spongy...

So, I'm replacing all four, rather than doing the band-aid of adding tubes. With more than 10 years on them, I can't complain...

/ When is it time to buy new tires #5  
You should be able to reuse the fluid and sealer if it still looks reasonable.

Ken

/ When is it time to buy new tires #6  
You should be able to reuse the fluid and sealer if it still looks reasonable.

Ken
Yeah, Ken, I'm going to try to reuse it -- the sealant was quite pricey. Means that I have to do them essentially one at a time because I don't have enough 5-gallon buckets to hold about 30 gallons of the mix... :laughing:

/ When is it time to buy new tires #7  
I have had excellent luck with tubes in my turf tires. Not so good with the sealer. They still leak around the beads at the rim. Never lost the one with the tube, so I tubed the other front one. Tube 'em, fellas!!! :thumbsup:

/ When is it time to buy new tires
If you plan to tube (or even if you don't) do yourself the favor of putting on valve stem protectors.

/ When is it time to buy new tires #9  
The recessed (flush) valve stems have worked so far for me - no protectors required. But a pain to add air to the inner tires. Fortunately, i hope not to have to with the good sealer in there.

Ken

/ When is it time to buy new tires #10  
The previous posts have definitely provided good suggestions. I would also add this suggestion. Whenever your tires are in an condition that you can't rely on them to enable you to operate your tractor in a safe manner, then I think that the tires should be replaced. Tires will usually last a considerable long time, if taken care of and not subjected to conditions that will elevate the chances of damage due to terrain, dry rot, lack of proper air pressure; etc. Just a thought.