Has anyone ever tried to build a 3pt Hitch for the rear of their PT

/ Has anyone ever tried to build a 3pt Hitch for the rear of their PT #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
My neighbor is a bit of a fabricating wiz. He has this idea of how to make a hydraulic 3pt (removable) for better dragging and blading.

Thoughts?

/ Has anyone ever tried to build a 3pt Hitch for the rear of their PT #2  
Power Track used to offer a rear hitch on one of their models. Can't remember which one. I think is was just a few hydraulic cylinders and a quick attach plate. Someone on TBN has one, as I recall. I think it was on a unit with a backhoe on the back.

At first glance, they look simple. However, you start looking into how a 3pt hitch works and you find things like geometry getting in the way! :laughing:

As you raise and lower an implement, the angle of the implement changes unless you make a parallelagram deally thing. Our PT FEL arms don't have that and that is why the angle of the bucket changes as we lift and lower the arms. REAL FELs have it to keep the bucket at the same angle through the entire travel of the lift arms.

Then there is draft control, rockshafts, adjustable length arms for manual side-to-side leveling, adjustable top link, etc...

Or you could go top-n-tilt and make the top link and one side link hydraulic for power angle and tilt from the seat. Do a search on TBN for top and tilt 3 pt and you should find a LOT of good reading on that subject. :thumbsup:

You may also want to consider some type of depth stop so you can repeat implement depth if you raise and lower the implement often. REAL 3pt hitches have that as well.

Now, as for me, I will do everything within my power to aviod the use of a 3pt hitch. That is why I bought the PT. I do realize the limitations of the PT design, though, in that it is not meant for tasks like plowing fields, stump pulling, hay bailing or crop harvesting. If those were my chores, I'd get a "conventional" tractor.

I think if you added a limited use 3pt hitch to a larger PT, you might have something in that you could use a box blade or tiller without having to look backwards while you drive forwards. I don't think it would be a great addition to the smaller PTs though, due to the limited pulling power.

But that's about it. You'll end up with some ditch-witch looking Swiss army knife contraption.... which could be quite useful! :laughing:

/ Has anyone ever tried to build a 3pt Hitch for the rear of their PT #3  
Or you could go top-n-tilt and make the top link and one side link hydraulic for power angle and tilt from the seat. Do a search on TBN for top and tilt 3 pt and you should find a LOT of good reading on that subject. :thumbsup:
I would go with 3 cylinders. 2 sidelinks and a toplink. Use the sidelinks to lift the arms and put the toplink far enough above the bottom links that you have the correct angles.

Aaron Z

/ Has anyone ever tried to build a 3pt Hitch for the rear of their PT #4  
I've got the PT 3pt hitch for my 2445. It works but lack of float means constant attention. I still would rather drag the box blade with it than push and it is also hand for rear tilling. It is off the tractor right now but when I put it back on I'll take some pics.

Doug

/ Has anyone ever tried to build a 3pt Hitch for the rear of their PT
Bumping this up for wasabi.....

/ Has anyone ever tried to build a 3pt Hitch for the rear of their PT #7  
Bumping this up for wasabi.....

Hey Carl,

I delivered my PT 2445 to a mechanic neighbor about a month ago for service and some seal changes....but he has not had time to get to it yet. When I get it back I'll mount the 3pt and snap some shots. In the meantime I've had my hands very full with mowing and more busted blade bolts than I can count. Guess that's what I get for mowing fields with locust and rocks...

/ Has anyone ever tried to build a 3pt Hitch for the rear of their PT
Thanks for keeping me in mind. Yeah, I now have a bolt that I cannot get out of my mower... Was wondering when that was going to happen. I throw an average of half a dozen blades a year... Getting good at extracting, and now I am doing the weld on nut truck

But yes, thank you for the pix when you get the chance.

/ Has anyone ever tried to build a 3pt Hitch for the rear of their PT #9  
Carl,

What is the purpose of the 3 point hitch?

Do you eve have room for a 3pt.

Where will the top of the cyl mot.

You will have down pressure .

Can you see behind the motor cover at all, maybe a rear camera setup.

Last edited:
   / Has anyone ever tried to build a 3pt Hitch for the rear of their PT #10  
I've got the PT 3pt hitch for my 2445. It works but lack of float means constant attention. I still would rather drag the box blade with it than push and it is also hand for rear tilling. It is off the tractor right now but when I put it back on I'll take some pics.

Doug

You can install a separate float valve, or use a valve with float.

Surplus Center - HM50 1/2" FLOAT VALVE

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Drawing/DR9-1064.pdf

Two lever valve with float, and PB.

Surplus Center - 2 SPOOL 7 GPM CROSS SS OC W/ PBYD VALVE