Mower issue

/ Mower issue #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
Hey all. So a heads up. Yesterday I pulled the mower out and took it for a run. something sounded way wrong, took the covers off and did not see anything. Started it up and watched as the right spindle started jerking around. Blades are good, darn, I think I blew a bearing. Started to dig in to it and I find that the bolts holding the spindle to he chassis are loose. I am not sure why I did not notice this last year, maybe something w stuck under it, but now it is on my yearly check list.

/ Mower issue #3  
Part of my spring time routine along with lube and sharpen blades is to check bolts. Never had a problem with them but it looks like I may not make it the full season w/o getting another mower belt.

/ Mower issue #4  
Thanks for the heads up. Many years ago I removed the belt guards from my mower deck when I was burning up the belt on my 60" finish mower for the PT425. I wanted to watch what was going on in there and I also wanted to see where the 40 pumps of grease in the spindles where going! :laughing: I never put the guards back on (que the safety police). I think what happened is so much grass and debris are able to get under the edge of the guard that it packed in there and that's what ruined my belt. Haven't had a belt issue since. Maybe a guard of expanded steel would be better?

/ Mower issue #5  
I also removed the belt guard and never put it back on. Where the grease goes is still a mystery to me.

/ Mower issue #6  
If those are sealed bearings, you guys should know better.

Sealed bearings are just that, they don't need greasing, and it makes no sense to grease them.

Some bearings have one side sealed and that side goes to the outside of the spindle, and they take grease, and other bearings are fully open to take grease on a regular interval.

A lot of people are just wasting grease as it gets thrown out.

Some people will even try and inject grease into the rubber shield.

To much grease is a bad thing. Cost money and collects dirt.

/ Mower issue
The problem is how do you know without pulling it apart? Zerts are there and ptvsaid lube them...

/ Mower issue #8  
Some arbors that use sealed bearings still require that you grease them on their maintenance schedules. For example, Simplicity calls for 6-8 pumps of grease in each arbor, just to keep the inside coated and to prevent rust and corrosion...

/ Mower issue #9  
The problem is how do you know without pulling it apart? Zerts are there and ptvsaid lube them...

The parts manual may tell you if your machine has sealed bearings.

You could call Terry and ask him the question about sealed bearings.

Excerpt:

SPINDLE HOUSING WITH SEALED BEARINGS AND GREASE FITTING. On these style spindles, grease is used primarily as a water barrier to keep water from accumulating in the void area inside the spindle housing and around the bearings and spindle shaft. Any good wheel bearing grease applied with a standard grease gun may be used for this purpose. These style spindles should be checked and greased annually, more often if the deck is subject to unusually wet operating conditions. Models with grease fittings will still have sealed bearings inside. Spindles with grease fittings will also have a weep hole in the spindle housing to allow excess grease to be forced out through.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...58559-can-mower-spindle-bearings-greased.html

Post #6

Last edited: