How often do you clean your tub?

/ How often do you clean your tub? #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
Wanted to poll you guys on how often you clean you tub? I do it twice a year but man it never feels clean.

Also, on my 1850 I have two raised metal plates in the foot wells that cover the hoses underneath. Do you guys take yours out as part of maintenance of clean under?

/ How often do you clean your tub? #2  
I powerwash my 425 once a month and yes it never looks or stays clean (I am one step away from detailing it :laughing::laughing:) , but I think my 425 is to big of an investment to neglect

/ How often do you clean your tub? #3  
Equally important is what do you use to clean your tub.

/ How often do you clean your tub? #4  
Also, on my 1850 I have two raised metal plates in the foot wells that cover the hoses underneath. Do you guys take yours out as part of maintenance of clean under?
PT-422 is built like that as well.

It is a good reason to pay a bit more and get the PT-425. :drool:

Cleaning them is a pain in the neck; I spray out my tub every couple of weeks, and spray under the foot well plates to flush out any grass clippings and whatnot that collects there. I pull the floor plates out to do a better job cleaning aout twice a year.

I just use water hose; seems to do a reasonable job.

/ How often do you clean your tub? #6  
Mine gets attacked by the leaf blower after just about each use. Floor plates are removed several times thru grass cutting season for a good clean out. Soap and water wash maybe twice a year...that's it. I wish the engine compartment was more accessible but it's fairly clean as long as I use the blower frequently and don't make too much of a mess when changing the oil.

/ How often do you clean your tub? #7  
After a good day of brush hogging, my front shelf, front wheel motors, foot wells, center tube and the tub are pretty much packed with debris.

First, I take it way out back and hit it with a leaf blower. I use a long stick to poke out front shelf and the wheel motor debris. Something like a golf club with the head removed and a blunted spike welded into the end would work great for this.

Then I hit the center tube from the front with the leaf blower. Then the foot wells.

After that, I open the engine compartment and leaf blow the heck out of that. I have to make many switches between front and back as it tends to shuffle the debris back and forth in the engine compartment. But, eventyally, most of it comes out.

Of course, by then, the foot wells are full of sand again! :laughing:

Anyhow, you get the point. Leaf blower until no more debris sprays out.

Then I have to use my hands to remove sticks and twigs that got wedged in the compartments. Once those are gone, one more pass with the leaf blower.

Now I'm ready to clean it. I use Simple Green cleaner diluted 50/50 with water. I mix it in a pump sprayer and soak the machine down pretty good in the greasy dirty spots. Sometimes I'll put a trash bag with the pull cord built in over the seat just to keep it dry. I also avoid the dash board and ignition switch with the sprayer. The Simple Green does a pretty darn good job of loosening up the grease and grime. After a liberl soaking I use the garden hose to spray it all off. Again, I avoid the dash board area and any electronics.

Then I use the leaf blower to blow off the puddles and start it up right away to make sure no water stays anywhere it shouldn't. I run it for about 10 minutes, and then I'm done.

Unfortunately, my beloved leaf blower died last fall. I got a lot of use out of it. So, I have to buy another one. Last one was hand held. I think I'm going to go for a backpack style this time. I think that will be even easier to use on the PT.

Once everything is dry and clean, I inspect, tighten and lube as required. :thumbsup:

This year I am going to have to repaint most of the lower half of the tractor. It is down to bare metal around most wheels and starting to get surface rust. Since the thing is plate steel everywhere, a simple grind, prime and paint shouldn't take too long at all. :)

/ How often do you clean your tub? #8  
Simple Green cleaner in one gallon jugs at TSC, Walmart, etc...

/ How often do you clean your tub? #9  
Unfortunately, my beloved leaf blower died last fall. I got a lot of use out of it. So, I have to buy another one. Last one was hand held. I think I'm going to go for a backpack style this time. I think that will be even easier to use on the PT.

I have an Echo backpack blower that replaced the handheld I pained my back with for years. I don't remember when I bought it, but I'd guess 5 or 6 years ago.

It just came back from the shop from having two problems repaired:

The fuel hoses kept cracking where they connected to the carburetor. I don't know of a way to prevent this and attribute it to the gas available. As they'd crack, I'd cut off the end and reattach. It just got to the point where there wasn't much hose left to dip into the tank. I could've replaced the hoses but I didn't want to deal with the bigger problem so had the hoses changed when I checked it into the shop for ...

...the three mounts that connect the motor to the backpack. On mine, those mounts were rubber. They had to be replaced. The last year or two I had the motor bungeed to the backpack frame.

I've seen other Echo models that use a metal spring for the mounts. I asked, when I took it in, if the mounts could be replaced with the metal spring types and was told "no".

So... I'd suggest when you look at backpack blowers you consider how the motor is mounted to the frame.

For starting, the Echo always did and does and I'd buy that brand again.

Phil

/ How often do you clean your tub? #10  
I use Moss' leaf blower procedure after every mowing use. When changing oil
I layer up disposable shop towels in the bottom of the tub to get spillage. Then wipe up any oil that was missed. Hose it out once or twice a year whenever it sees mud.