Ignition switch (again!)

/ Ignition switch (again!) #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
As usual, when I fix or add one thing (the electric selector valve below), I break something else... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. In wiring up the selector valve, I was searching for a wire on the ignition switch that would have a voltage only when the engine was actually running (rather than having a voltage when the switch was on but engine running or not). This should have been either the charge wire or the accessory pole (not hooked up on mine). Anyway, in testing the accessory pole with a meter (it showed 10 volts, which I thought was odd???), I apparently shorted and cooked something in the ignition switch, because now turning the ignition switch to off doesn't shut off the engine. Go figure. In the meantime, I added a toggle switch that I had lying around that grounds the green wire (which is engine kill) to the chassis, which is (to my understanding) what the off position on the ignition switch actually does.

This is the second ignition switch. They don't seem to last me very long. Are these ignition switches just not all that rugged? I'm not sure if they're different for the B&S engine, probably are. I'll order one and replace it one more time (if you remember, the last time I did this I had the wrong switch and cooked the ignition coil, which resulted in a $900 trip to a local shop! I *think* I'm a bit wiser now, though... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif). If it fails again, I think I'll just replace it with a toggle switch and pushbutton to start it!

Has anyone else had to replace your ignition switch? Or do I just need to throw my meter away and not touch that ignition switch again? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dave

/ Ignition switch (again!) #2  
Did you try disconnecting the selector valve from the circuit to see if this solves the problem?

/ Ignition switch (again!)
Nope, but I will. A neighbor just suggested that to me. I'm also thinking that this small meter I've been using might be the culprit. I used it once to test a 120V circuit in the house, and it immediately tripped the breaker for that circuit. Might be that it simply doesn't have any (or at least enough) resistance. I've got a larger meter that works fine in the house, so maybe my first idea of throwing the meter away was indeed the right answer!

Dave

/ Ignition switch (again!)
OK, I tried disconnecting the wiring to the selector valve, same symptom. I'm going to order a new ignition switch tommorrow and go chuck that cheap a** meter now!

Dave