up a tree with the pt

/ up a tree with the pt #1  

washita

Silver Member
Tractor
pt 425, JI Case, Gravely Comm.10A
as usual broke down in a unique place/position, moving brush and debris with the mini-hoe today, when I lost reverse and pt is stuck in forward, by the time I got it shut down I am literally parked on a 4'' diameter black locust tree that refuses to collapse and unable to back tractor off the tree, anyone had this experience with forward and reverse not operating correctly? (313 hours)

/ up a tree with the pt #2  
Do you have a hydroback cable linkage for directional control or do you have hydraulic direction control?

If cable linkage, check for movement where the cable meets the top of the variable volume pump.

If hydraulic, I can't help.

/ up a tree with the pt
hydraulic valve setup instead of cable now to figure out what pump I have so I can investigate/troubleshoot the hydraulic circuit in addition to a call to terry at powertrac for some words of wisdom

/ up a tree with the pt #4  
First, pictures please.

Second, can you go into tram mode and winch the pt out? Any chance of a ruptured hose in the tunnel?

I wonder if it is some debris in the treadle. I am constantly surprised with sticks and stuff jamming my machine.

/ up a tree with the pt #5  
Didn't happen unless there is a picture :D Just kidding, that sucks.

/ up a tree with the pt #6  
as usual broke down in a unique place/position, moving brush and debris with the mini-hoe today, when I lost reverse and pt is stuck in forward, by the time I got it shut down I am literally parked on a 4'' diameter black locust tree that refuses to collapse and unable to back tractor off the tree, anyone had this experience with forward and reverse not operating correctly? (313 hours)

Have you checked to see if the pin that goes through the tram pedal where it pivots is in place as it should be? Have you checked to see if the valve is mounted as it should be with no loose bolts that hold the valve in place? I think someone on here had the pivot pin to back out and seems like I had a problem with mine also but it slips my mind right now what the problem was, I will keep it on my mind and see if I can remember what it was and I will also check my papers that came with my machine and see if I may have wrote it down. Okay I think I remember now, when I mashed in on the tram pedal to go which ever way I was going the valve hung and the spring couldn't push the valve back out the piston rod in the valve had gaulded and hung it up. I don't remember if I got that one rebuilt or got a new one, but I believe I just had it rebuilt and the cost wasn't much. With my machine turned off I could push on the tram pedal and could tell that it wasn't pushing against anything if it had been working properly there would have been a slight resistance when you pushed on the pedal. I am a little clouded on my memory of what happened but maybe this might help give you a starting place. Seems like there is a rubber boot that goes around the valve spool rod. Hope you get it fixed without much trouble and sorry for not having a better recollection of what I did maybe more will come to me later, if so I will share with you.

/ up a tree with the pt
thanx sounds exactly what I experienced no resistance on the tram peddle, Saturday I plan to borrow my BIL kubota to retrieve the PT and get it to the shop so I can work on it , I plan to add a filter minder while the system is opened up in addition to a pressure gauge on the pump

/ up a tree with the pt
quick update , changed the filter, doubled checked oil level, removed access plates checked for debris , started tractor and no movement heard a pop then I had reverse but very little power in forward , tomorrow it goes on the scissor lift so disassembly can commence , also checking to acquire rebuild manual for the tram pump, in addition to cutting the filter apart tonight to see if it collapsed internally

/ up a tree with the pt #9  
Sounds like what mine did. The main pump went out had to get a new one.

/ up a tree with the pt
cut filter apart no debris in filter ,and did not appear to have collapsed, ran the pt for about 15minutes the longer I used it the stronger the hydraulics felt, no kinks in hoses or debris in tub or tunnel , next on list is to install pressure gauge on pump , will order one next week and continue to troubleshoot