pt425 shutting off

/ pt425 shutting off #1  

smilindave

Bronze Member
Tractor
Power Trac 425
Lately my machine has been shutting off after running for a while. I have changed the air filter and fuel filter, and plugs. Problem seems to be getting worse. Fuel line is clear. I am thinking maybe the fuel pump may need replaced. Any ideas?

/ pt425 shutting off #2  
What brand engine do you have?

Loose wire in the wiring harness to the engine? That seems the usual suspect for an intermittent problem like this. I seem to recall some thread about an inline fuse holder in the engine compartment. The next most likely is either the ignition switch or the wiring under the dash to the ignition switch. Quite a few poorly crimped spade terminals there.

Is the low oil pressure shutdown wired on your engine? That could be a source of the problem, but unlikely. It doesn't come that way by default; positively a crime in my book, PT should have at least wired it to a buzzer.

/ pt425 shutting off
I thought about the oil so I changed it and still the same problem. Put a new switch in about a year and a half ago. I did have a problem twice with the fuse being bad, but I will check it again. Thanks

/ pt425 shutting off
Sorry its a Kohler command 25

/ pt425 shutting off #6  
Pin hole leak in fuel pump diaphragm?

/ pt425 shutting off #8  
We could play this game for hours.... "Name the top 50 things that would cause a PT to sputter and stall..."

/ pt425 shutting off #9  
mine was the snap lock (stak-on) style fuse holder, I replaced it with a marine grade fuse holder with solder shrink wire connectors have not had a dying/sputtering problem since , but keep in mind I have the Subaru engine

/ pt425 shutting off #10  
Lately my machine has been shutting off after running for a while. I have changed the air filter and fuel filter, and plugs. Problem seems to be getting worse. Fuel line is clear. I am thinking maybe the fuel pump may need replaced. Any ideas?

My PT 425 was doing the same. Finally traced to tiny bits of debris in the fuel just big enough to block the intake hole in the fuel filter, but not be visible. A suggestion is to remove the fuel filter again and blow compressed air into the out-take end to blow any debris out the other end. There was bits of debris in the fuel tank -- had to drain and vacuum it out. One of my old fuel cans was the source.

The PT would run for a while then quit when the filter was blocked. Minutes later debris would dislodge and the PT would start and run for a while then stop again... I now keep spare fuel filters in the tub to keep it running when I am using the tractor far from the shop. The issue has not repeated since.