Landscape plane questions

/ Landscape plane questions #11  
Think about chopping a carrot VS slicing a carrot.

Think about teeth on a bucket VS no teeth.

I think that's why there are angled blades VS straight blades... less force to get it going and less force to keep it going.

That's my opinion, based on no facts at all. :laughing:

/ Landscape plane questions #13  
Because your going to use it on a P/Trac, there are a lot of differences over using it on a 3pt hitch on a tractor. I can understand why you would want to push, but have my doubts on it preforming the same as behind a tractor. Sooooo.... why not look at it like a Pond Scoop and make it reversible? It would only take a little extra material to make it reversible, I would think, though I haven't looked closely at the P/Trac attachment points.
Just a thought...
David from jax
Mine was built with angled blades, and I am glad of it.

/ Landscape plane questions #14  
   / Landscape plane questions
I assume it is the odd geometry that the PT has, but pushing has issues. Iwill indeed make mine reverseable, and aim to push but the PT tends to climb up a pushed device. Not sure why, but box blades end up being a pita.

I found most of my steel in my neighbors junk pile, along with stuff for a welding table so I am pretty stoked.

More to come as I move forward on this project next week.

Carl

/ Landscape plane questions #17  
One of the reasons that the PT does not push well is that the push points for the loader arms are about 36 in off the ground, and tend to ride up.

I believe if you push low or pull low you will accomplish more.

I have a push point on the bottom front of my PT, that is used for my flail.

If you put the two angle points down, you should be able to push or pull equally as in my third picture above.

/ Landscape plane questions #18  
Think about chopping a carrot VS slicing a carrot.

The land plane doesn't slice. The angle is too small.

Think about slowly crosscutting a carrot with the knife horizontal, pressing straight down
VS
slowly crosscutting a carrot with the knife at 30 degrees, pressing straight down. Be careful you don't let the knife slip sideways.

Bet you can't tell the difference.

:)

Bruce

/ Landscape plane questions #19  
I believe that the angled blades do a better job with wash boarding, other than that probably not much difference. But I would think that there is some definite reason, otherwise the OEM guys would be building them with the blades straight. It has to cost more to have the blades at an angle, even if it is just more material used to build the unit. ;)

/ Landscape plane questions #20  
The land plane doesn't slice. The angle is too small.

Think about slowly crosscutting a carrot with the knife horizontal, pressing straight down
VS
slowly crosscutting a carrot with the knife at 30 degrees, pressing straight down. Be careful you don't let the knife slip sideways.

Bet you can't tell the difference.

:)

Bruce

The angled blade on the land plane is at a compound angle to the surface of the ground. And, the blade is moving forwards as opposed to straight down. Right at the surface of the blade, the soil will peel up, then be pushed sideways by the next bits of soil, clearing the blade, and so on.

Ever use a draw knife on wood? Try pulling it perpendicular to the wood and it bites in and sticks. Pull it at an angle to the wood and it slides right along.