Making the PT Seat more comfortable

/ Making the PT Seat more comfortable #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
So I drooled over kens modification (put a real spring loaded tractor seat on a PT, especially difficult with the 18XX series as the seat tilts).

So last week when my seat bottom failed I took a look at what I had. I realized there was some room for rubber between the rails and the bottom, and the rails and the seat.

So I got on EBAY and found rubber vibration dampners. I can't post ebays here, but I will show the pix of what I got... Both were a little over 1" wide and a little over 1/2" tall.

Basically I ordered two types of isolation shock absorbers. I liked the ones that looked springy, but worried about the ability to withstand abuse. I also grabbed solid rubber as I figured it would be a good fallback.

So I got to the PT when they arrived this morning and took the seat off. I realized right off that the springy looking ones were worth the effort, but I still don't know if they will last. They are a lot softer than the solid core. I also found that the PT had existing plastic washers between the seat and the rails, and they are HARD plastic. Why I have to ask? Anyway, the rails are attached to my tilt plate directly. The bolts to the seat to the rail are removeable carraige bolts, the bolts from the plate to the rails are welded. I was able to use the springy washers between the seat and the rail as I had enough bolt length, but the welded side was too short for the 1/2" solid washer, so I cut those in half.

Bolted it up and took it for a spin. I will say immediately what a difference. For $10 total in parts, it is night and day. I am a plumper, so my weight is an issue in all of this. The ride is not so harsh. It is no Maybach, but anything is better than that kidney killing ride I have been living with over the past 5 years.

If you want more info, I can get pix and such, but jeeze I have written a lot for very little at the moment.

Carl

Attachments

• Hobohobby.JPG
    Hobohobby.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 159
  • Jetosworld .JPG
    Jetosworld .JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 146
   / Making the PT Seat more comfortable #2  
This sounds interesting!! If there is any major shortcoming to the PT it's the bumpy/jolting ride. Looking forward to hearing how it holds out for you. Of course, we always want more pics :)

/ Making the PT Seat more comfortable #3  
Lord willing, I will be purchasing a PT1430 in Spring 2015. During my time on this forum, I remembered the PT seats being a lowlight... The local Kubota dealer has New Take-Off (cloth) seats with integrated suspension, and Grammer brand seat base suspension units.

kubota_susp_seat.JPG $500.

Grammer_susp_seat_base.JPG $100.

Thought I would mine this forum's experience on the subject matter; the prices seem reasonable. If the Grammer at $100. is a good option, I could contemplate fitting it under the stock PT seat...?

/ Making the PT Seat more comfortable #4  
I have a 1430 and the ride is very soft, almost springy. I have the ag tires and I never use it on pavement or rocky ground so that may contribute to it. My biggest comfort complaint is that the padding on the seat is thinner than any other tractor seat.

Bill

/ Making the PT Seat more comfortable #5  
well my PT422 is pounding the living daylights out of me. My pasture only looks smooth until I start brush hogging, than my tractor finds all sorts of holes to fall into.

I bought a suspension seat, but it will require some seat bracket modifications since it adds about 4" to the height of the seat, which will soon give me a headache smacking into the ROPS. While mowing last weekend, I swore that adding seat suspension was now my #1 priority.

And than a rock glanced off my glasses, and I decided my #2 priority was rigging up some sort of windshield. Brush hogging can be dangerous.

/ Making the PT Seat more comfortable #6  
I put on a suspension seat from Tractor a Supply. It rides pretty good. I also changed out bar tires for turf. This made a big difference.

Last edited:
   / Making the PT Seat more comfortable #7  
I added some rubber bushings to all 4 of the bolts under the seat. While certainly not a cushy ride it has taken some of the teeth rattling shocks away a bit.

/ Making the PT Seat more comfortable #9  
I agree that the seat seems thin- but I haven't bothered to stuff in some more foam, which would do it for me.

On the brush hogging, I have taken to wearing a chainsaw hardhat/faceguard/ear protectors specifically to help deal with flying objects.

All the best,

Peter

well my PT422 is pounding the living daylights out of me. My pasture only looks smooth until I start brush hogging, than my tractor finds all sorts of holes to fall into.

I bought a suspension seat, but it will require some seat bracket modifications since it adds about 4" to the height of the seat, which will soon give me a headache smacking into the ROPS. While mowing last weekend, I swore that adding seat suspension was now my #1 priority.

And than a rock glanced off my glasses, and I decided my #2 priority was rigging up some sort of windshield. Brush hogging can be dangerous.

/ Making the PT Seat more comfortable #10  
I love my seat upgrade - I decided the cost over a few years was well worth it relative to dr's bills. But this one is very economical - I like the idea and would have at least tried it first if I had thought it would work. A friend and I discussed it but we both said no way could it absorb enough so we never tried it. Silly really when the cost of failure was not high.

Ken