Question: Problem starting a powertrac

/ Question: Problem starting a powertrac #1  

hhundt

Tractor
None
I am having a hard time starting my Powertrac 2430, a brand new machine with a total of 2 hours on it. Been working with service about it, but I am always at work during their business hours, need it for the weekend, so thought I'd ask for some advice from this forum. In a nutshell, this is what is going on:

Started fine twice, then would not start
Will not jump from battery, nor will it start bypassing the battery to my truck
Jumped from starter once immediately
Jumped from starter after leaving key turned in starting position for about 10 seconds
Now nothing

Took battery into auto parts store, it tested good, I get 12v

On advice from Powertrac I took some measurements with my voltmeter.

There is a click from the engine when key turned
The voltmeter on dash drops from 12v to 0 when ignition turned to start
My voltmeter on the starter reads 12v, no drop when turned to start
My voltmeter on the solonid reads 12v, no drop when turned to start
All lights and pto痴 are off. Dash lights dim to nothing when turned to start.

Also, the large dash gage with the volt/oil, etc indicators is fogging when running, it is not very humid, so thought this was odd.

Any ideas to what is going on?

/ Question: Problem starting a powertrac #2  
Have no idea what a powertrac is, but it sounds like your problem has something to do with a componant in the safety start interupt circuit, not with battery or voltage. One or more of the switches involved may not be fully activating and merely need adjusting. Trick is to find out which one.The 0 volt reading on the dash may be normal if the gauges are powered from an accessory circuit. Often that will not be powered during cranking to reduce battery draw.

/ Question: Problem starting a powertrac #3  
Lets try this reply again.sory. My pt 1430 has failed a few times just as you describe after it has set for extended peroids. I jump by going from one side of selinoid to the other side with heavy wire. I still do not have the remedy. Hope this helps. You have a great machine in the pt, so do not get discouraged. Dale in wi

/ Question: Problem starting a powertrac #4  
Had a similar problem with my pt430. Replaced battery first but no difference. Next, replaced starter but no difference. Next, replaced key switch, and it started right up. Problem was open or high resistance contact in key switch. My PT430 manual did not have details on the switch so I went to Kohler website and down loaded info on the motor and electrical system, then figured out (with a voltmeter) how the keyswitch was wired up. Once I did this it was obvious the switch was bad and ordered new one from PT. The keyswitch was pretty cheap compared to battery and starter and a lot easier to replace! Try the simple stuff first. Also check for fuses. I had one blow out due to frozen oil cooler motor.

/ Question: Problem starting a powertrac #5  
Can you be more specific? I assume for the moment it is not turning over ( starter does not engage).

If so, have you jumped it at the solenoid? The old screw driver across the poles?

I don't like the lights dimming on the machine...... I f you are getting a power drain then a hot wire is grounding or has been pinched. Given dimming you would probably be smelling the melting wires.

Have you double checked your major power lines, where they connect to the starter and where they connect to ground. When i say check I mean pull both end and clean thoroughly and tighten.

/ Question: Problem starting a powertrac #6  
It is possible you even have two problems now if you cranked the starter for too long and burned up the coil so that you have an open circuit.

I believe they have a seat safety switch? Are you sitting in the tractor when starting? Not sure if there is an oil safety switch. 12V Electrical on tractors and vehicles can be temperamental. Bad grounds are common.

Ken

/ Question: Problem starting a powertrac #7  
your voltage meter indicates correct voltage but obviously not enough current/amps to spin the starter or keep the lights bright (bad connection on the battery cables-battery or at starter or at frame ground) my 425 had a poor connection at the battery cable where it was attached to the frame that caused a similar problem it caused the starter to spin slower than normal, if you find any type of scotch-lok style wire connectors double check those also , my pt would stall out intermittently from a poor connection/failed scotch-lok connector

/ Question: Problem starting a powertrac #8  
Lets try this reply again.sory. My pt 1430 has failed a few times just as you describe after it has set for extended peroids. I jump by going from one side of selinoid to the other side with heavy wire. I still do not have the remedy. Hope this helps. You have a great machine in the pt, so do not get discouraged. Dale in wi[/QUOTE

Dale, if you come back to this there is a way to check your solenoid. More than likely it is why you cannot start (if you have to jump across it). Solenoids are cheap, and somewhat universal, I would double check that you are getting juice to it when it fails again with a volt meter, and if it is then just replace the solenoid.

Carl

/ Question: Problem starting a powertrac #9  
Turn your switch to on, and then do like woodlandfarms said.

Use a wire and touch the start terminal to the 12v terminal that the battery is attached to. The starter should turn over. This bypasses the switch.

Then check the start terminal when you turn the key switch to start. Should read 12v as long as you hold the key to start.

Even with the key off, you can still turn the starter, but the ign is grounded out.

You can also jump start by going from a good battery directly to the start lug on the starter.