Crude roof rack PT-425

/ Crude roof rack PT-425 #1  

Kent

Bronze Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-425 (2011)
I needed a quick and dirty way to carry a shovel, weed wacker, and rectangular milk crate (holding a small gas can, bar oil, and chain saw) for some work on the other end of the property, so I slapped this together in under an hour. It is mega-ugly but does the job. Although I park the machine in the garage, I figure the pressure treated wood is just a little more solid than untreated 2x4s.

cruderoofrack.jpg

Made out of materials I had around (I don't have a welder), so it cost me next to nothing. Glued together with Gorilla glue. The inside dimension fits the milk crate very tightly, but the eye bolts are used to strap down the milk crate/saw (are screwed into the little stubs). The little metal tabs that twirl around to secure the shovel/weed wacker on the sides are from an old curtain rod.

There are just four skinny timberbolts coming up from under the canopy into the rack, so I could take it off in a few minutes if I need to.

I know, that roof isn't designed to carry weight, but my saw is small, and those welds holding on the ROPS look pretty strong. I positioned the rack as far forward as possible to balance the weight over the ROPS. Plus I usually don't carry all those things at once (usually just a shovel or weed whacker).

Oh, you will also notice the 3/4" rubber pipe insulation on the canopy edges (peel and stick kind), which was suggested in this forum. It has saved my head many times from getting banged (which I did previously everytime I refueled). Thanks for that idea!

/ Crude roof rack PT-425 #2  
That is similar to my ROPS rack. There are pictures here somewhere.

/ Crude roof rack PT-425 #4  
Thanks. A few bad ones too.