Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    38
    Location
    TN & NC
    Tractor
    Power-Trac PT425 (planned)

    Default Bigger Grapple Bucket?

    Earlier this month, KentT recommended getting a 10 cu ft light material bucket for a PT425 and adding an aftermarket tooth bar--instead of buying the 5 cu ft rock bucket. What do you guys think about doing that plus adding an aftermarket grapple to that rig? Then you'd have a 10 cu ft version of the grapple bucket with the ability to fairly easily take off the tooth bar and grapple if desired. Anyone see a problem with such a plan? I know you'd have to be conscious of getting an overweight load in it. Is there a strength issue to consider? Would the larger bucket warp if used to dig? Any other issues?

  2. #2
    Elite Member BobRip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,363
    Location
    Powhatan Va.
    Tractor
    2000 Power Trac 422

    Default Re: Bigger Grapple Bucket?

    The light material bucket is designed for light material. I have asked PT about this and they felt it might bend if used to dig. I am sure they are being cautious, but they have a lot of experience. The tooth bar will reinforce the lip and help with stopping bending. I am really big on the 4 in 1 bucket, but it is very expensive. For digging I tend to use another attachment (trencher, stump grinder, mini hoe) to breakup the dirt and use the bucket to move it. My 422 does not have a lot of push force and pushing into dirt does not work all that well.
    Bob Rip
    Tell me and I will hear.
    Show me and I will see.
    Let me do and I will learn.
    Let me fail and I will understand.

  3. #3
    Epic Contributor MossRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    29,802
    Location
    South Bend, Indiana (near)
    Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

    Default Re: Bigger Grapple Bucket?

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoopCzar View Post
    Earlier this month, KentT recommended getting a 10 cu ft light material bucket for a PT425 and adding an aftermarket tooth bar--instead of buying the 5 cu ft rock bucket. What do you guys think about doing that plus adding an aftermarket grapple to that rig? Then you'd have a 10 cu ft version of the grapple bucket with the ability to fairly easily take off the tooth bar and grapple if desired. Anyone see a problem with such a plan? I know you'd have to be conscious of getting an overweight load in it. Is there a strength issue to consider? Would the larger bucket warp if used to dig? Any other issues?
    I don't think the large material bucket is up to the task of grapple work without major reinforcment. Also, remember, a larger bucket with a toothbar, grapple and added reinforcement will reduce the lift capacity of the tractor significantly.
    MossRoad

    Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    38
    Location
    TN & NC
    Tractor
    Power-Trac PT425 (planned)

    Default Re: Bigger Grapple Bucket?

    Thanks for the comments. One reason I was considering this plan was to save a few bucks by going with one bucket plus add-ons and to save weight in my trailer as well. Maybe I'll start with the LMB + toothbar (no grapple) and see how I like it before going further. I hope to buy my PT425 in late July or early Aug.

  5. #5
    Platinum Member tmarks11's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    834
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Tractor
    Power Trac 422 (2005)

    Default Re: Bigger Grapple Bucket?

    Looking at your location, it seems like you are an easy drive to Tazewell.

    Shipping is usually very reasonable for you initial purchase, but shipping on single implements can reach 40% of the price of the implement. That might be motivation for buying an extra implement in your initial purchase.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Tim
    2005 PT-422
    4n1, LMB, minihoe, 48" mower, brush hog, Land Pride aerator, Herd spreader, auger, towing, forks, box blade, plow, box blade, tiller, trencher
    PT422 (6/23/05) photo page

  6. #6
    Elite Member BobRip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,363
    Location
    Powhatan Va.
    Tractor
    2000 Power Trac 422

    Default Re: Bigger Grapple Bucket?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_in_CT View Post
    Looking at your location, it seems like you are an easy drive to Tazewell.

    Shipping is usually very reasonable for you initial purchase, but shipping on single implements can reach 40% of the price of the implement. That might be motivation for buying an extra implement in your initial purchase.
    When I got my PT422, 1/2 of the money that I spent was for attachments. Everything was delivered by one truck. Also , since it is so easy to change attachments, I tend to use multiple attachments on a project. You will also get more value out of the PT with more attachments.

    Someone had a picture and a method to use the grapple most efficiently. You tilt the bucket down and compress the brush pile and then close the bucket. I have picked up a six foot high pile of brush in one bite. There was still a little bit left on the ground, but an amazing amount was in the bucket. The width of the pile is usually limited by the trail width. One thing I realized was that every attachment that used hydraulics was much more usefull and powerful than a similar attachment without hydraulics. This is particularly true on the buckets.
    Bob Rip
    Tell me and I will hear.
    Show me and I will see.
    Let me do and I will learn.
    Let me fail and I will understand.

  7. #7
    Epic Contributor MossRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    29,802
    Location
    South Bend, Indiana (near)
    Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

    Default Re: Bigger Grapple Bucket?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobRip View Post
    .... Also , since it is so easy to change attachments, I tend to use multiple attachments on a project. You will also get more value out of the PT with more attachments.

    ....
    I agree. I put the large material bucket on the PT, then put the small rock bucket with teeth inside that, then the pallet forks inside that and my extra quick attach plate with 2" receiver and soil slicer inside of that!
    Plus a lunckbox!!!

    Then I drive that up onto my trailer and set it down, then go back and get the brush hog and set that on top of the buckets, chain it all down and off I go. Swiss army knife style. 5 implements in the space of one.

    If I had to do it over again, I would purchase the large material bucket and the small rock bucket with teeth and grapple from PT. The grapple is the only thing I wish I had.
    MossRoad

    Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!


Similar Threads

  1. Loader I want a bigger bucket
    By allen in texas in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-13-2012, 08:39 PM
  2. Need the bigger bucket
    By savedbyzero in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-13-2009, 08:39 PM
  3. Bigger Bucket?
    By ProfPat in forum Kioti Owning/Operating
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-07-2009, 12:58 PM
  4. Bigger bucket, Gator, or keep same bucket
    By Nuru in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 10:19 PM
  5. Need a Bigger Bucket!
    By markinMn in forum Photos
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-02-2001, 09:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2016 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.