Bigger Grapple Bucket?

/ Bigger Grapple Bucket? #1  

ScoopCzar

Tractor
Power-Trac PT425 (planned)
Earlier this month, KentT recommended getting a 10 cu ft light material bucket for a PT425 and adding an aftermarket tooth bar--instead of buying the 5 cu ft rock bucket. What do you guys think about doing that plus adding an aftermarket grapple to that rig? Then you'd have a 10 cu ft version of the grapple bucket with the ability to fairly easily take off the tooth bar and grapple if desired. Anyone see a problem with such a plan? I know you'd have to be conscious of getting an overweight load in it. Is there a strength issue to consider? Would the larger bucket warp if used to dig? Any other issues?

/ Bigger Grapple Bucket? #2  
The light material bucket is designed for light material. I have asked PT about this and they felt it might bend if used to dig. I am sure they are being cautious, but they have a lot of experience. The tooth bar will reinforce the lip and help with stopping bending. I am really big on the 4 in 1 bucket, but it is very expensive. For digging I tend to use another attachment (trencher, stump grinder, mini hoe) to breakup the dirt and use the bucket to move it. My 422 does not have a lot of push force and pushing into dirt does not work all that well.

/ Bigger Grapple Bucket? #3  
Earlier this month, KentT recommended getting a 10 cu ft light material bucket for a PT425 and adding an aftermarket tooth bar--instead of buying the 5 cu ft rock bucket. What do you guys think about doing that plus adding an aftermarket grapple to that rig? Then you'd have a 10 cu ft version of the grapple bucket with the ability to fairly easily take off the tooth bar and grapple if desired. Anyone see a problem with such a plan? I know you'd have to be conscious of getting an overweight load in it. Is there a strength issue to consider? Would the larger bucket warp if used to dig? Any other issues?

I don't think the large material bucket is up to the task of grapple work without major reinforcment. Also, remember, a larger bucket with a toothbar, grapple and added reinforcement will reduce the lift capacity of the tractor significantly.

/ Bigger Grapple Bucket?
Thanks for the comments. One reason I was considering this plan was to save a few bucks by going with one bucket plus add-ons and to save weight in my trailer as well. Maybe I'll start with the LMB + toothbar (no grapple) and see how I like it before going further. I hope to buy my PT425 in late July or early Aug.

/ Bigger Grapple Bucket? #5  
Looking at your location, it seems like you are an easy drive to Tazewell.

Shipping is usually very reasonable for you initial purchase, but shipping on single implements can reach 40% of the price of the implement. That might be motivation for buying an extra implement in your initial purchase.

/ Bigger Grapple Bucket? #6  
Looking at your location, it seems like you are an easy drive to Tazewell.

Shipping is usually very reasonable for you initial purchase, but shipping on single implements can reach 40% of the price of the implement. That might be motivation for buying an extra implement in your initial purchase.

When I got my PT422, 1/2 of the money that I spent was for attachments. Everything was delivered by one truck. Also , since it is so easy to change attachments, I tend to use multiple attachments on a project. You will also get more value out of the PT with more attachments.

Someone had a picture and a method to use the grapple most efficiently. You tilt the bucket down and compress the brush pile and then close the bucket. I have picked up a six foot high pile of brush in one bite. There was still a little bit left on the ground, but an amazing amount was in the bucket. The width of the pile is usually limited by the trail width. One thing I realized was that every attachment that used hydraulics was much more usefull and powerful than a similar attachment without hydraulics. This is particularly true on the buckets.

/ Bigger Grapple Bucket? #7  
.... Also , since it is so easy to change attachments, I tend to use multiple attachments on a project. You will also get more value out of the PT with more attachments.

I agree. I put the large material bucket on the PT, then put the small rock bucket with teeth inside that, then the pallet forks inside that and my extra quick attach plate with 2" receiver and soil slicer inside of that!
Plus a lunckbox!!! :licking:

Then I drive that up onto my trailer and set it down, then go back and get the brush hog and set that on top of the buckets, chain it all down and off I go. Swiss army knife style. 5 implements in the space of one.

If I had to do it over again, I would purchase the large material bucket and the small rock bucket with teeth and grapple from PT. The grapple is the only thing I wish I had.