How 'bout those little attachments?

/ How 'bout those little attachments? #1  

smartguyz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD318, Power-Trac PT425 with scuffed-up green paint.
How \'bout those little attachments?

It just occurred to me that I could save some money on less-frequently used attachments (e.g. post-hole digger, tiller, cement mixer) if I purchased off the PT180 price list. For example, adding up the attachments just mentioned, you'd save $150+$200+$300=$650. I'm making the assumption that these attachments are just as well-built as their larger brethren, but a little smaller. So, expert PT guys, what do you think?

1) Is my assumption on sturdy-but-smaller accurate? Does anyone know for certain?

2) Do the PT180 attachments fit on the PT425 without incident?

I appreciate your expertise. Assuming I end up with a PT, it will definitely be due to your awesome friendliness, responsiveness, and expertise!

-Rob /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How 'bout those little attachments?
Re: How \'bout those little attachments?

I talked to Christy at PT this morning. She said that the PT180 products are sized to only fit the PT180, and that the attachments are mutually exclusive with any of the other units. The reason for this, according to her, is that they were concerned that using the 180 implements on larger machines will simply trash the smaller implements, and that using the larger implements on the 180 will overtax the 180. I didn't get into explicit details on why they don't fit, but she said "they will not mount correctly, they are different sizes".

-Rob /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ How 'bout those little attachments? #3  

From the pix on the PT web site, it looks like the quich attach mounting on the PT 180 is the same as the 425 except that the quick attach on the 180 is locked in manually instead of hydraulically. You gotta wonder if the locking config on the attach plate is the same, just manal. Simply eliminating things like these hyd cylinders, ROPs, and smaller engine would make the 180 cheaper to build. I can't see PT making ALL the attachments for the 180 new with a completely different mounting config. The blades, buckets, and mowers appear to be sized smaller than the 425 models because of the lower power, but I'd guess that they all mount the exact same way. You could save $400 on just the 45 inch vs the 48 inch brush cutter. So you make an extra pass every time you mow with the 45 inch mower and get yourself an extra attachment with the $400 bucks. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If someone is making the trip to PT, this would be something definitely worth investigating and reporting back to the group on.

John in CT

/ How 'bout those little attachments?

I totally agree - That's why I'm so intrigued. If someone is making a trip to PT, can you check it out for the rest of the gang?

Sincerely,

Rob /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ How 'bout those little attachments? #5  

If you go to the price sheets at the PT web site you will see that they use different attachment plates for the 18, 22, and 25 HP units. You can also note that the hydraulic flow and pressure differ between the units. To use an attachment on a unit the attachment plate must match and if the attachment is hydraulically powered the hydraulic flow and pressure provided by the tractor must be compatible with the attachment.

/ How 'bout those little attachments? #6  

I was told by PT that the H 188 wont be out till late summer. It is supposed to be smaller all around. If the frame is the same size, it should work really well for the price. I wouldnt use most of the tools full time. I wonder if the wheel motors are the same as an H 422? U can save a lot of $$$ with this model. Robert

/ How 'bout those little attachments? #7  

Yep, the part numbers for the attachment plates are all different. The real question is whether they are really physically different... my guess is they are not. Many of the attachment part numbers are the same for both the 422 and 425, so they must have the same attachment configuration. As for the hyd flow/press... all are rated for 8 gpm flow, but PT 180 is at 2000 psi while 422 and 425 are 2500 psi. Again, the real question is whether PT would manufacture the smaller attachments with physically different hydraulic motors (cylinders, etc). The pressure ratings of the machines is not that far apart, so I would guess that the motors are rated for the higher pressure. This way PT could buy their hydraulic components for all their attachments in bulk quantities and reduce their costs.

We won't know for sure until some sly TBN'er puts an investigative eyeball on the attachments and sees what really makes them different. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Personnally, I've been thinking about adapting a brush mower to hydraulic power for use on my Magnatrac... or buying a PT mower which is already hydraulic at adapting it. The one made for the PT 180 is in the right price range and is worth investigating. I'm going to call PT to get some details on this one. I'll post the findings...

John in CT

/ How 'bout those little attachments? #8  

<font color="blue"> I talked to Christy at PT this morning. She said that the PT180 products are sized to only fit the PT180, and that the attachments are mutually exclusive with any of the other units. </font>

I'd believe her until you see them for yourself. I'd hate to see someone buy something that won't work. Keep looking into it though.

/ How 'bout those little attachments? #9  

I don't think it's a coincidence that the aux GPM's are the same and the top speeds are the same. My thoughts are they use the same hydraulic pumps & wheel motors as the 422. I'd be willing to bet they just adjust the relief valve to 2000psi for the 418 and 2500psi for the 422 & 425. A 90% efficient pump with 8gpm @2000 psi provides 11.5hp, @ 2500psi provides 14.4hp.

It would be to their advantage to carry only one type components for all three tractors: less stock, better component pricing, and better profit margins for them.

/ How 'bout those little attachments? #10  

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Sent email to Power Trac:

> I prefer a narrow, simple 1 blade Finish Mower like the T3376 used on the PT418.
> Will this mower work on my new PT425???
> Would the Quick Attach Plate need to be changed ??
> Are hydraulics compatible??
> What is the overall width??
> Side or rear discharge??
> Mulching??
>

/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Received this reply 1/21/4:

Here is some answers for your questions.

I prefer a narrow, simple 1 blade Finish Mower like the T3376 used on the PT418.
NO----Will this mower work on my new PT425???
Yes----Would the Quick Attach Plate need to be changed ??
NO----Are hydraulics compatible??
45" (same width as the 3 bladed mower)-----What is the overall width??
Rear---Side or rear discharge??
NO----Mulching??

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif That's the latest - stay tuned!!