Anyone make a grapple out of power tracs fixed pallet forks?

/ Anyone make a grapple out of power tracs fixed pallet forks? #11  
Are you making it one finger or two?
Also, you'll find that the center link of the quick attach may be in the way when you have the forks curled all the way back, so plan accordingly.
As for the cylinder, I tried to use a 2500PSI rated cylinder on a log grapple I'm fooling with and blew the seals quickly. I'd go with a 3000 psi minimum.

/ Anyone make a grapple out of power tracs fixed pallet forks?
I found a two finger on the web probably cheaper than I could make it and I can order it in different lengths if I like all at the same price. Thanks Moss, didnt think about that center link. I have just been thinking on how I want it to be attached to the forks. PT wants $850 for theirs so if I can make one for half that including shipping I would be doing good.

I don't want to start a new thread since I started this one long ago. After a knee surgery I figure I am not getting any younger so I am going for it. I am making this grapple. I have come across a nice, never used but could be a few years old Greensmachines Thumb from a fella in PA. His dealer wouldn't help him put in on his new Kubota so he decided to get rid of it cheap and try something else. His loss is my gain. I bartered for some 1/2 inch steel plate so it didn't cost me anything although I did have to buy a few pieces. I have all the parts and connectors (thanks MossRoad for posting the size in another post). I just don't have the hydraulic hose yet. I need to get some measurements first. I am attaching another link that was started by someone else that I had make comments to. Thanks for all the info you gents gave me. I used it and borrowed others as well. My welding isn't the greatest but isn't the worst either. I have been practicing as much as possible when I can. At least I am much less a grinder than a welder like I used to be. I am going to try to attach some pictures I've taken today. It is painted but I still have to assemble it. I also made and attached a handle on the quick attack lever to make it easier to use now.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/power-trac/350888-grapple.html?highlight=grapple

IMG_1826.jpgIMG_1827 3.jpgIMG_1828 7.jpgIMG_1829 9.jpgIMG_1833 3.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1830.jpg
    IMG_1830.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 91
Took a few more photos now I have it together. It has a 30 inch opening which I am happy about. I made the stand so it tilts back 5 degrees so it has a larger opening but I was worried if I went 10 degrees would not touch the forks when closed. Maybe somewhere in between but it is done now. Just hope it holds up for me for what I will use it for. Just cleanup of downed trees and brush piles. It will probably never get a proper work out. It was my winter project and with everything I purchased I have less then $300 in it so far. The hoses will probably be the 2nd largest expense I will have in it. Hope you all like it.

IMG_1834 2.jpgIMG_1835.jpgIMG_1836.jpgIMG_1837.jpgIMG_1838.jpg

Last edited:
   / Anyone make a grapple out of power tracs fixed pallet forks? #15  
Looks like a beast! :thumbsup:

Well done. It comed off with set screws, I take it?

/ Anyone make a grapple out of power tracs fixed pallet forks? #16  
Firstly, I want to say that it looks awesome.

I know it's a bit late for changes, but a couple thoughts. If the grapple didn't line up with the forks, and instead could swing past it, I think you would find it more versatile. As-is, smaller logs look like they'd wobble around. That's one thing I wish was different on my grapple.

Second, what about the ability for it to flip back far enough not to impede the use of the forks? Then you can leave it on permanent. I don't know if that would get in the way of the tilt on the forks though.

Regardless, I think it is work well done and hopefully you get a lot of use out of it.

/ Anyone make a grapple out of power tracs fixed pallet forks? #17  
Looks very nice and very useful. How much do you think it weighs?

Yes MossRoad it has set screws to keep it in place. Works quite well.

Impulse - I had thought of those ideas as well. My one design had the risers much lower for smaller logs for that reason to keep them moving around. Then I thought well what about the big logs, I had to make a decision. I originally had it designed much higher but didn't like that either so I made a compromise. If I find it is not holding the smaller stuff I can always add something that would apply pressure to it. I am at the mercy of the manufacturers on the width of the grapple and width of the forks so this is the way it worked out. For flipping back out of the way - not going to work. I took tons of measurements on this. It won't work because the grapple Thumb only uses a 6 inch hydraulic cylinder and only has so much movement. They would have to redesign it to use a longer cylinder. The way I made this one is I am using 5-7/8" of it for the entire open and close movement. That is why I tilted it back 5 degrees instead of 10 degrees. I had to have something to spare if I was off a little.

Ernemats - I was surprised how light the grapple itself was. The grapple base plate I swear weighs the most. it is 3 inches wide 24 inches long and has a 1 inch thick steel bar for it base. The part I made is probably 30 to 40 pounds + or - some. I honestly don't know the entire weight. I do know I can pick it up all together minus the forks and it has some weight to it.

/ Anyone make a grapple out of power tracs fixed pallet forks? #19  
Nice job ! :thumbsup: