PT capabilities as an all-terrain fork lift

/ PT capabilities as an all-terrain fork lift #1  

Tractor
Simplicity Legacy XL, Ferris IS 5100, Power-Trac 1430
Hi All,
I have been searching for a piece of equipment that can be used as a light-weight forklift / material transport. I came across PT and think it could be a great fit for my needs. I run an outdoor movie company, and we screen movies to municipalities, universities and businesses. We currently have pieces of equipment that weigh in just over 700lb that we could use some mechanical help in moving around.

I need a piece of equipment that:
- is able climb some hilly terrain
- won't do too much, if any, damage to turf/manicured lawns
- can travel over rough terrain
- won't mark sidewalks
- is able to hop curbs (adding 2x4 to make curb more graduated, not a problem)
- won't tip easily
- reliable

As I have been reading through many pages of threads on this site, a few questions have come to mind:

1. Are PT any more prone to failure then other equipment out there?

2. Would the 425 be able to transport 700lb plus forks up 20 degree slopes?

3. Are these machines too loud to be operating close to homes at 2 or 3 in the morning? If so, would any of the after-market mufflers help?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Stephen P.

/ PT capabilities as an all-terrain fork lift #2  
You should get some good answers from the members here, and I'll contribute some:

Yes, they are noisy without adding something like a Supertrap muffler or a better redesigned muffler assembly. You'd need to do something if you plan on operating near residences in the early hours.

PT's are pretty simple hydraulic machines and not complicated but there is no "dealer support" since there are no dealers. Most small engine mechanics can do any needed repairs and maintenance.

I don't remember the lifting specifications and PT's website appears to be down at the moment.

Best thing is if you look through the PT owners' locations and find one close to you that'd help you with your questions. I don't see any obvious problems with your list.

Phil

/ PT capabilities as an all-terrain fork lift #3  
I don't remember the lifting specifications and PT's website appears to be down at the moment.
Rated for 800#, but I dont know if that is at the pins, 24" out, or what.

What kind of equipment are we talking about here? Road cases? Bass Bins? Large screens? I have some ideas, but they would depend on what you are moving.

Aaron Z

/ PT capabilities as an all-terrain fork lift #4  
Sorry but i have to ask....... Whats a PT?

/ PT capabilities as an all-terrain fork lift #5  
   / PT capabilities as an all-terrain fork lift #6  
Hi All,
I have been searching for a piece of equipment that can be used as a light-weight forklift / material transport. I came across PT and think it could be a great fit for my needs. I run an outdoor movie company, and we screen movies to municipalities, universities and businesses. We currently have pieces of equipment that weigh in just over 700lb that we could use some mechanical help in moving around.

I need a piece of equipment that:
- is able climb some hilly terrain
- won't do too much, if any, damage to turf/manicured lawns
- can travel over rough terrain
- won't mark sidewalks
- is able to hop curbs (adding 2x4 to make curb more graduated, not a problem)
- won't tip easily
- reliable

As I have been reading through many pages of threads on this site, a few questions have come to mind:

1. Are PT any more prone to failure then other equipment out there?

2. Would the 425 be able to transport 700lb plus forks up 20 degree slopes?

3. Are these machines too loud to be operating close to homes at 2 or 3 in the morning? If so, would any of the after-market mufflers help?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Stephen P.

The weight lift capacity for the 425 is 800 pounds at the quick attach plate. If I remember correctly the implement is not included so that would take up some of the load lift capacity. You say that you are wanting to transport machines just over 700 # so that in itself is pushing the limits of the 425. If the pt 425 would lift what you are needing to haul with the machine straight, I believe when you go to turn a curve with the machine when it bends in the middle it shortens the length of the wheel base and that would cut the capacity of the lifting abilities down some. There is also a limit of the degree of slope that the 425 is rated for. I saw a pt once that had the lift arms taken off and had a forklift mast mounted on the machine and was told that increased the amount that it could lift, but I don't know for sure if that is a fact. Since you would be pushing the limits of the 425 I believe I would consider the 1430 instead since it has a lift capacity of 1200 pounds. Some have mentioned reversing the tires to give it a wider stance to increase the stability on hills that you might want to consider. I have a 425 but I run it on level ground to a slight slope so haven't had a need to reverse the rims on my pt. Some on the forum a while back mentioned putting weight on the back of their machine that would increase the amount of lift some and make the rated lift weight more stable maybe they could chime in on that. All of that being said I really like my pt and it has done everything that I have needed to do with it.

If you could go to tazwell you could see one in person and they will let you try one out both the 425 and the 1430 and then you could judge for yourself. These tractors are really easy on the turf, they are 4 wheel drive and the low center of gravity of them is an added bonus plus the roll over protection canopy is something that I definitly would want if working on a slope.

/ PT capabilities as an all-terrain fork lift #7  
I have the 422 and while it is rated at 800 pounds, it would not take much of a slope at 700 pounds.
I lifted a rock that weighted 819 pounds, but I had extra weight
And a person standing on the back, and it was very tipsy. If you steer left or right it will reduce the lift capacity. I would go with the 1430 for your application.

/ PT capabilities as an all-terrain fork lift
Thanks all.

The heaviest piece we have is our inflatable screen (700lb or so). There are also our line array lifts at about 250lb each, about 1000lbs of electric cables in approximately 8 bins, and a few road cases - some weighing in over 350lb. Plus there are the speakers, about 500lb per channel.

Some ideas I had were to bolt or weld attachment plates on the speaker lifts, and make a custom implement that could wrap and carry the screen. It would also be helpful to have an attachment that could possibly hammer in and pull out the tent stakes.

I was very much hoping that the 425 would be up to the task, as the size and weight of the 1430 is slightly prohibitive in day to day transport for me. However, with what everyone has contributed, the 1430 does sound like a safer choice.

Are there any feelings of the relative reliability of the PT's? I do understand that there is no dealer support network and that the warranty is parts only.

What kind of equipment are we talking about here? Road cases? Bass Bins? Large screens? I have some ideas, but they would depend on what you are moving.

Aaron Z

/ PT capabilities as an all-terrain fork lift #9  
For your stated purposes, reliability should not be a problem. My 425 has nearly 1000 hours of use being rode hard and put away wet. Your described use would be much less demanding than most of what mine has survived.

Noise will be a problem. Aside from the engine and exhaust noise, the hydraulic system produces a whine that could be quite annoying. Even with an excellent muffler it won't be quiet by any stretch of the imagination. I know I wouldn't care to hear it in the wee small hours. It might help to wrap the hydraulic pumps with some sort of sound-absorbing blanket, but you'd need to be mindful of overheating them if you also used it for heavy mowing or other sustained hard work.

PT has built at least one custom version of the 425 with larger wheel motors for one of our members. That would take care of any slope climbing concerns. It would cost extra.

My PT425 has lifted and carried an electrical motor weighing a bit over 1000lbs slung from a light receiver hitch attachment. On flat ground I was able to make very gentle turns. I think 700lbs would be doable on slopes with the addition of counterweights/wheel weights/loaded tires, etc.

/ PT capabilities as an all-terrain fork lift #10  
The heaviest piece we have is our inflatable screen (700lb or so). There are also our line array lifts at about 250lb each, about 1000lbs of electric cables in approximately 8 bins, and a few road cases - some weighing in over 350lb. Plus there are the speakers, about 500lb per channel.
Some ideas I had were to bolt or weld attachment plates on the speaker lifts, and make a custom implement that could wrap and carry the screen. It would also be helpful to have an attachment that could possibly hammer in and pull out the tent stakes.
I was very much hoping that the 425 would be up to the task, as the size and weight of the 1430 is slightly prohibitive in day to day transport for me. However, with what everyone has contributed, the 1430 does sound like a safer choice.
What kind of conveyance are you loading into (ie: how high do these pieces need to be lifted)?

Aaron Z