Spend More Of Our Money--On Attachments This Time

/ Spend More Of Our Money--On Attachments This Time #1  

Anonymous Poster

We're making up a shopping list for our new Power Trac. So far it looks like this: <font color="green"><ul type="square">[*]PT425[*]48" Mower[/list]</font>
We're considering adding other items. They are:
<font color="purple"> <ul type="square">[*]Pallet Forks[*]Mini Hoe[*]Custom Attachment Plate[/list]</font>
We're a bit stretched (understatement), but we think we could really use a:<font color="red">
<ul type="square">[*]Boom Mower[/list]</font>
So tell us why you think we should buy these four items and how they are really worth their prices. And if you like, you can suggest other items, but bear in mind that we have a 35HP Branson, and we don't want to buy things for the PT that we already have for the CUT--or things that would be better suited and/or cheaper to get for the bigger machine. My bio contains the sordid details regarding the Branson's implements.

SnowRidge

/ Spend More Of Our Money--On Attachments This Time #2  
Hi Snowridge-

Like you, I am in the hunt for a PT425 - I just finished reading the Kohlerengine.com site, and the engine in the PT425 looks pretty good. Hydraulic lifters, even!

Anyway - Here's my wish list of attachments (in order of their anticipated usage):

48" Mower
Light Material Bucket
Dirt and Rock Bucket
48" Brush Hog
Power Sweeper - for the courtyard and the driveway/road
Mini Hoe
Forks
Lift Boom

Whew. I'll need to stare it at some more and really decide whether it will all be needed. As it is, if I can swing it, that's my list - Actually, comparing to all the attachments for my 2nd choice (Kubota BX2200), the attachments are very attractively priced. For example, if you really want a back hoe of any type, you'll need to cough up another 7-8K and get a BX22, since the BX2200 doesn't have a back hoe attachment. Also, if you wanted as much lift capacity (800lb), you'd be up to the B7800, which is something like 14K for the tractor and loader. All told, I'm very impressed with the pricing. I can tell you that for the price of even my wish list, I'll be less than the BX22 with just the backhoe and loader, no mower. I could just go with my original requirements, which was a finish mower and a loader, and leave it at that. To each his own.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Spend More Of Our Money--On Attachments This Time #3  
<font color="blue"> tell us why you think we should buy these four items and how they are really worth their prices. And if you like, you can suggest other items </font>

OK, here goes... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-The mower is needed so get it. The 48" should do very well on the PT425.
-The pallet forks are very handy for moving stuff and are very low cost.
-I don't have a mini hoe, but from what I've read, it is very handy and sure beats a shovel. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
-The custom attachment plate is only useful if you are going to use it. Do you have something in mind?
-I don't know anything about the boom mower but it looks kind of limited in its use.
See this post for some other views of the boom mower and some other attachments by people with more experience than I.
-Even though you have a loader on your Branson, consider the large bucket. At $360.00 it is worth its weight in gold. How wide is the loader bucket on your Branson? The large PT bucket is 48" and the small one is only 45" wide. It can get into some really tight spaces and it can get through a 48" gate with the tractor. The large bucket is extremely handy for moving mulch and loose stone and dirt in a hurry. I have had my PT for about 18 months and the large bucket has more hours on it than all of my other implements combined.

Hope this helps.

/ Spend More Of Our Money--On Attachments This Time #4  
<font color="blue"> Here's my wish list of attachments (in order of their anticipated usage):

48" Mower
Light Material Bucket
Dirt and Rock Bucket
48" Brush Hog
Power Sweeper - for the courtyard and the driveway/road
Mini Hoe
Forks
Lift Boom </font>

I also anticipate my mower being the number one implement, but as I mentioned before, the large bucket is the number one usage of my PT425. Just today, I mowed the lawn(1 acre in about a half hour going slow) then popped off the deck and popped on the large bucket. I used it to carry my pool filter out to the back of the property to empty out its sand and dump some dirt over the sand, then brought the filter back, went up front, picked up 200 pounds of bagged sand and took it around to the pool. Saved my back. Also, since it doesn't tear up the lawn, I can take it anywhere on my property. Just about every day that I use the tractor, I can find something to do with the bucket. The quick attach just makes it too easy to switch implements and keep working.

As for the boom pole, the farther out you have something away from the tractor, the easier the rear end will come off the ground. I've had my rear tires off the ground several times with the bucket and a good load. How much are you planning to lift with the boom pole?

I also cleaned and lubed my mower deck today. It is so nice to be able to lift the mower up 4' in the air. I just lift it up, set the brakes, shut it down and get a four foot 4x4. I jam this under the mower deck like a stilt just in case someone hits the joystick, then reach under and clean and lube it. I never get under the deck for safety reasons. I use a garden hoe upside down to scrape it off. Works great.

/ Spend More Of Our Money--On Attachments This Time #5  
OK - you caught my post regarding the lift boom. I have a slightly weird idea - so you may commence laughing if you like. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The idea is this: I have a LOT of tow-behind attachments for my JD318 - a 24 gallon sprayer, a thatcher, an aerator, a spreader. I am planning to put a hitch on the PT425, but (Here's the hitch I plan to get) I am concerned that the PT425, with it's poor rear visibility and distance of the hitch from the user will make towing these things a problem (e.g. I believe that the lift arms with the 48" finish mower/brush hog will be very easy to 'place' just where I want it). The idea with the lift boom is to attach these fairly small tow-behind items to the front ring of the lift boom, and then essentially use the lift boom to drag the attachment around.

Weird? Crazy? Just plain wacky? You be the judge, and then let me know.

Thanks,

Rob /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Spend More Of Our Money--On Attachments This Time #6  
I use an ATV for my chores. I tried several implements up front. I found the view much better. The biggest problem was spraying, and fertilizing. I dont want either in my face. I dont like chemicals in my teeth. I seem to swallow on occasion.(SP)
Good luck, and mlet us know with pictures. Robert
Soon to be <font color="blue"> </font> /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Spend More Of Our Money--On Attachments This Time
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How wide is the loader bucket on your Branson? )</font>

Roughly 6 foot, Moss. The only gate we have that isn't a full size cattle gate (no cattle, just gates /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ) is only about 50 feet from a cattle gate, so narrow gateability (term ???) is not an issue at the moment.

I read the boom mower comments from the Tazewell visit link, but I don't really understand them. From the web photo, it looks like it should be possible to angle it to the ground contours--but maybe not. Further investigation seems to be required.

We're interested in this implement for mowing around our ponds and ditches, although it is hard to justify the expense considering the relatively small amount of actual land involved.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The custom attachment plate is only useful if you are going to use it. Do you have something in mind? )</font>

Only the absolute certainty that if we don't buy it, we'll need it.
laugh.gif

I know the pallet forks will be handy; just have to convince the Mistress of the Mower.

As to the mini-hoe, I guess we need to compare it to the Lackender hoe I've read allusions to. Any idea how much they cost? Lackender doesn't seem to have a web site.

SnowRidge

/ Spend More Of Our Money--On Attachments This Time
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( . . . but (Here's the hitch I plan to get) . . . )</font>

I've seen several 2" receivers that mount to garden tractor style pin hitches (term???), and I've always wondered about backing up with that combination.

It seems to me that you would have two pivot points--the pin hitch and the ball. Wouldn't the pressure cause the adapter to pivot and swing into the rear of the tow vehicle, or am I missing something? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

SnowRidge

/ Spend More Of Our Money--On Attachments This Time #9  
Hi Snowridge -

To my understanding, you bolt he adapter down and it doesn't wiggle around - it simply extends the separation between the original hitch and allows you to have a hitch ball, something to attach clevis pins to, and gives you a tow loop. There is no 'swiveling'. -Rob