Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    1999 Cub Cadet 2185

Default Re: PT425 48" Brush Hog Broken Bolt Removal Tip

Since I am not familiar with the issue, the following is an observation more than a suggestion...

If I understand the problem correctly, hex bolt heads get severely damaged or sheared off by hitting something hard at high velocity. The rest of the bolt remains in the welded nut, and can be very difficult to remove. (This is a royal PITA.)

I have a blades for my mower that look like a bush hog setup. Basically, short blades that are free to swivel, attached at one end to the edge of a disc. (Four blades per disc.)

These blades are attached with a Button Head bolt (a.k.a. Round Head). These bolts usually have a hex drive or Torx drive hole in the head. Using such a bolt greatly minimizes 'catching' the ground, as the dome has a much better chance/tendency to 'float over' obstacles.

1/2-20 BUTTON HEAD SOCKET CAP SCREW, Each - Palmer Bolt & Supply Co.

Cheers,
    PTWannaHave
    (Currently a Cub IH & Cub Cadet owner)

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

we have reviewed the button head idea on my end and in the end I walked away. I might revisit. Reason for walking away is that the hex portion tends to get bent up, not allowing a hex key to fit in to loosen and remove the blade without substantial work. Now, this is just theory and conjecture but it might take a long time to file the opening on the bolt to get a hex back in. But in its defense I have only once taken a blade off, and that was when a spindle was having an issue. Otherwise I just wait for them to break away.

Second, I am not sold it is only the head that is an issue. while the cutting edge provides a ramp of sorts, the end is blunt, i have broken on small stumps, and y tought was that the blad gets wacked back and on the next time around its blunt end stikes the object.... Theory again.. Probably the blade is staightened out within a half turn of the rotor...

But you know what, why not, right? Next time I am in Woodland I will pick up a bag and give them a try if they make them in our size.

Carl
    Power-Trac 1850, grapple, hoe, 90" mower, 72" box blade

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

How are "regular" brush hog blades attached on "regular" tractors? Do they have the same breakage issues?
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Tractor

O.K. So here's the real problem as I see it. EVERY brush hog that I can find on the internet has GULL-WING BLADES!!! Meaning, the blades have a bend in them so that when the blade comes around after hitting an object it cannot shear off it's partner's bolt!!!

AND, the center drum on EVERY brush hog I can find on the internet is a LOT SHORTER than the PT design, which allows for the dip in the blade. If you tried to put gull-wing blades on a PT brush hog, you would gouge the ground pretty good, even with the wheelsl set on the highest setting.

Someone (Power Trac, are you listening?) needs to come up with a retrofit kit that makes the drum shorter by an inch and a half so that we can put gull-wing style blades under it and resolve this terrible design/saftey issue.

There, I feel all better now and will stop using CAPS in my post.
    MossRoad

Of It In Action!!!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    PT 422

hmmm i may just have to try those out.

Tractor
    2000 Power Trac 422

Could you change the wheel brackets so the mower could be raised higher or would that allow the blades to be too exposed?
    Bob Rip
    Tell me and I will hear.
    Show me and I will see.
    Let me do and I will learn.
    Let me fail and I will understand.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by BobRip View Post
    Could you change the wheel brackets so the mower could be raised higher or would that allow the blades to be too exposed?
    Yeah, I think it would expose the blades too much. It needs a shorter drum. The current one is HUGE. I could probably cut two inches off of it and shorten the shaft, then put on the better blade style. Hmmmm..... DANG! Got me thinking again of projects I don't have time to complete!!!!

MossRoad

Of It In Action!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12