Too busy for PT seat time?

/ Too busy for PT seat time? #1  

MossRoad

Super Moderator
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
All quiet on the Power Trac front? :laughing:

I know I've been too busy to do any projects lately, but my kid finished up cross country yesterday, so I'll be getting home an hour and a half earlier each day and daylight savings should kick in soon, so a little more light in the evenings should help, too.... just in time for leaf cleanup. :thumbsup:

/ Too busy for PT seat time? #2  
Did a little firewood job. Friend at work had an oak taken down and i got the wood. Used the bucket to pick up the rounds, man oak is heavy! Mostly on a whim, i said i'd bring the tractor to spread the chip pile out. Really glad i had the pt to pick up the rounds to load into the trailer though.

/ Too busy for PT seat time? #3  
It is good to hear from you anyway. My project last week was flipping two side walk sections over (one at a time) to gain access to a leaking pipe. The weight estimate was 600 pounds each. Very difficult by hand, pretty easy with the 422. I did not get pictures. I have to put them back in a couple of weeks and will try to get pictures then.

/ Too busy for PT seat time? #4  
I guess everybody's machine is working as advertised.

But to get a little cross talk here, what do you guys think about whether motor oil or hyd fluid is best for a hyd system?

I know I am not going to change until someone convinces me that the motor oil is detrimental, and explain why the Power-Trac's have been using it for all these years, and have not had obvious hyd problems.

I know some of the larger machinery also uses motor oil as the hyd fluid.

/ Too busy for PT seat time? #5  
I have been watching mine every day from afar on the security camera. Neighbors son comes up once a week to water trees so it gets a bit of use. But it is sad, just sitting in the carport. So much to do..... Now in Miami for a month..

/ Too busy for PT seat time?
J_J I have no plans to change either. No issues yet from anyone here on TBN and its been 10 years.

/ Too busy for PT seat time? #8  
according to my fluid power professor at the college I am attending he claims as long as the seals are compatible and oil is of proper viscosity no damage should be done , but I might cause damage by switching to hydraulic oil due to incompatibility of base oil (acid reaction) or have to extensively ''flush'' the system to prevent cross-contamination, my pt is still sitting in the woods waiting for me to have time to work on the treadle control, I will probably ''winterize it'' and leave it set till next spring when I have more time

/ Too busy for PT seat time?
What town are you near in SW Michigan? I'm down in South Bend.

/ Too busy for PT seat time? #10  
washita ,

Is your treadle control cable or hyd?

Why not turn on the towing valve and tow the machine of pull it up on a trailer?

Rats and other varmints can get in there and chew or tear up things.