PT425 = Kohler Command, or Kohler Command Pro?

/ PT425 = Kohler Command, or Kohler Command Pro? #1  

smartguyz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD318, Power-Trac PT425 with scuffed-up green paint.
I was just wondering - does the PT425 have a Command, or a Command Pro? My understanding is that the Pro has a little larger capacity oil and air filter, plus an external oil cooler. Do you guys know? Thanks -

-Rob

/ PT425 = Kohler Command, or Kohler Command Pro? #2  
Mine is a 2001 model and it is a Command, not the pro.

/ PT425 = Kohler Command, or Kohler Command Pro? #3  
The PT-425 we just picked up has a Command Pro.

SnowRidge

/ PT425 = Kohler Command, or Kohler Command Pro?
That's interesting -

I called Kristie at Power Trac last week, and she said it was definitely a Command, not a Command Pro. How can you tell? Does it have different markings?

According to the website at kohlerengine.com, it says the main difference is the oil cooler, larger oil and air filters, etc. Not much else, but for those of us in dusty conditions, this is important.

/ PT425 = Kohler Command, or Kohler Command Pro? #5  
The air cleaner housing is labeled Command Pro. The housing has to be removed to see it as the "front" is directly behind the fuel tank. I suppose it could have been mislabeled at the Kohler factory.

The Owner's Manual that came with the unit doesn't mention the term Command Pro even though it covers several model variations.

I think this warrants a little investigation. I would like to find out definitively for my own purposes. I'll post what I find, either here or in a new thread.

SnowRidge

/ PT425 = Kohler Command, or Kohler Command Pro? #6  
Yep, it's a Command Pro--at least ours is. Don't know about anybody else's though.

After searching the net, and getting nowhere, I came to the conclusion that the information must be buried in the "Spec No," a mysterious Kohler number that graces all their engine labels. It consists of the "Model No" followed by a dash and a four digit number. Ours is CH730-0038.

It is fairly easy to find out that CH730 means a 25HP horizontal crankshaft Command series engine of about 730 cc displacement (725 actually), Finding out what the 0038 means is another matter altogether.

It seems that only alchemists and senior officers of Kohler's distributors are privy to this information. I believe they crank it into their secret decoder rings to come up with an answer, which of course they guard closely.

The net yielded nothing, not even a discussion on what the number means. I called Kohler directly, using the closest thing they have to a tech support line. The guy who answered the phone said (I'm quoting here), "I don't know what that other number you gave me is; I've never heard of it."

He offered me a distributor's number in St. Louis, but by then I was more interested in direct action, so I took our engine apart. Ok, ok, I'm exaggerating a little. I took a couple of parts off of the machine to look at their numbers.

According to the Kohler web site, the Pro has a larger air cleaner, among other things (not to be confused with the heavy duty air cleaner, which appears to be optional on both the Command and Command Pro--and too big to fit under the PT's hood). The Owner's Manual lists two different air cleaner element sizes and (fanfare please) part numbers. Our engine's air cleaner element part number matched the number for the larger--taller really--element.

Also, the manual says specifically that a special high performance spark plug is used in the "Pro" model. I was ecstatic to actually find a "Pro" reference in the manual. I believe it may be the only one, but I digress.

So I yanked a plug, and there it was, the magic number. We had Command Pro confirmation. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
laugh.gif
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Your mileage may vary, of course.

SnowRidge

/ PT425 = Kohler Command, or Kohler Command Pro?
Hi SnowRidge,

That's cool. Quite a lot of research! I'll be sure to report when my PT425 arrives.

Looks like mine was built in the same batch as yours (The June batch of 12) - Overnite has confirmed delivery tomorrow - it should be fun! I plan to order about 30-40 yards of mulch immediately after delivery of the tractor!

I'll also check if we have the same weld problem you encountered. - Care to post a photo of it so I can compare?

Thanks again,

-Rob /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ PT425 = Kohler Command, or Kohler Command Pro? #8  
While at Sears the other day I noticed that they carry the oil filters for the Kohler Pro and Command engines. Cost was lower than at PowerTrac. They also have the air filters.
PJ

/ PT425 = Kohler Command, or Kohler Command Pro? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'll also check if we have the same weld problem you encountered. - Care to post a photo of it so I can compare? )</font>

It's too subtle for a photo to show it. You'll know if you have it if the fitting end of the mower's left side PTO hose doesn't quite clear the lift arm crossbar. If you have no trouble connecting and disconnecting PTO'd attachments, you are in the clear.

SnowRidge

/ PT425 = Kohler Command, or Kohler Command Pro? #10  
<font color="red"> filters for the Kohler Pro and Command engines. Cost was lower than at PowerTrac. </font>

Paul: I think you could find filters at Tiffanys cheaper than at Power Trac. Maybe it's the cost of prepping painting them so we can't get manufacturers' numbers for crossovers /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif