Guess I will keep my 1430

/ Guess I will keep my 1430 #1  

farm23

Silver Member
Tractor
PT-1430, Wright Z-turn mower, BCS 853
We are in the mountains where level ground is a premium and we grow certified organic produce. I was thinking a tractor with rear PTO would be helpful so a dealer brought what he said was a good tractor for the mountains. He was working one of the fields and the tractor turned over. Fortunately no one was hurt. Guess I will continue to drive back wards.

/ Guess I will keep my 1430
No camera with me and I had to use my 1430 to pull demo tractor upright. I have used the 1430 in this area many times and did not think the slope was that bad so I guess I am not very good at judging what is a safe angle for conventional tractors.

/ Guess I will keep my 1430 #5  
So what was the response of the Dealer? Did he comment on the PT as well? He may have hit a pot hole or something like that. Or never set the tractor up for hillside (loaded tires, blah blah blah).

There are some good tractors out there that handle slopes better. I think the MF Boomer is one. But I still would never trade in my PT.

I am going to work this winter on a rear 3PT connector. I guess at one point one was made for the PT but no more. Maybe I will call Terry and pick his brain.

/ Guess I will keep my 1430 #6  
Keep in mind that the wheel motor shafts can only handle so much weight.

/ Guess I will keep my 1430 #7  
I'm glad nobody was hurt.

We're in a similar situation, and it is 100% the reason we bought a PT- safe operation on slopes.

Thanks for sharing the story.

All the best,

Peter

/ Guess I will keep my 1430 #8  
Oh come on and tell us what tractor he rolled!! Was it a brand new one? How much damage?

Seriously though, I'm glad nobody was hurt.

/ Guess I will keep my 1430 #9  
I know there is not a rear PTO but you can use a three point hitch on a Ventrac. How would that work for you? What are you trying to do?

/ Guess I will keep my 1430
I would use a regular tractor for plowing, disking, laying black plastic and other ground engaging work. The tractor that rolled only had sheet metal damage [fenders]. The tractor had loaded tires and the dealer was impressed with the 1430 but not so much when I told him PT did not go thru dealers.