Oil, oil everywhere! - How do you change oil?

/ Oil, oil everywhere! - How do you change oil? #1  

smartguyz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD318, Power-Trac PT425 with scuffed-up green paint.
Hi guys,

I am totally thrilled with my PT425, which arrived last Tuesday. (I'm also completely intimidated by SnowRidge's super-detailed post, so I'm taking my time to do my writeup /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) The ability to hold onto the slope, and maneuver in very tight quarters (I purchased a spinner knob on the 1st day!) is simply stunning. All tractors should be made this way! I am very grateful for everyone's advice and time - I would definitely NOT have made the purchase if it wasn't for you guys!

I've already put 19 hours (!!) on the PT425, moving mountains (!) of Bark Mulch, using the finish mower on the lawn, sweeping the drive and courtyard (My wife said "Wow! That's really clean, and fast too!") - Haven't had time to try the mini-hoe or the brush hog. I am really enjoying it's utility and super-FUN factor! By the way - the green paint (aside from being of very poor quality) is an exact match for John Deere Classic Green, for those who just have to know. (I painted my JD318 this spring)

OK, here's the question.

It is my habit to change all new vehicles to synthetic oil within a few hours of initial operation - When my PT reached 10 hours, I dumped the oil and swapped it out. Yep, that's right - the operative word is DUMPED. I looked at how tight the space is under the drain plug near the oil filter, and tried to put a small drain pan to catch the expected 2 qts. of oil. Well, the oil didn't flow out in an orderly manner, and ended up dumping most all of the 2 qts. into the engine compartment, and then out the drain/vent holes in the bottom of the engine bay. What a mess! Took me 1/2 hour with detergent and my pressure washer (and a whole roll of paper towels) to set things right again. My kids were wondering why I was so irritated, too.

So, how do you guys accomplish a neat and tidy draining of the engine oil? What do you use? Do you use a drain hose? Some kind of special pan? Inquiring minds want to know! Is there another drain plug that I don't know about that drains more neatly?

Thanks,

Rob /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Oil, oil everywhere! - How do you change oil? #2  
Not sure about the oil part, but looking at your profile, you may now want to include the gorgesly-ugly PT in it.

/ Oil, oil everywhere! - How do you change oil? #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've already put 19 hours (!!) on the PT425 . . . )</font>

19 hours??? I thought we doing something putting eight hours on in one week. Which reminds me, the mower spindles are supposed to be greased every eight hours, in addition to the lift arms and other points mentioned in the manual. You said you changed the engine oil already, but you didn't say anything about greasing the beast. Thought I'd mention it just in case . . .

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is there another drain plug that I don't know about that drains more neatly? )</font>

Left side of engine, points straight down to access hole. The Kohler engine manual mentions the drain plug on the left side, and it looks like PT added the right angle fitting.

When we change our oil, we plan to use that one. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SnowRidge

/ Oil, oil everywhere! - How do you change oil? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( By the way - the green paint (aside from being of very poor quality) is an exact match for John Deere Classic Green, for those who just have to know. )</font>

I asked Terry about touch up paint. He said it was Sherwin Williams Industrial Green. I suspect the Sherwin Williams price will be a little lower than JD's.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

SnowRidge

/ Oil, oil everywhere! - How do you change oil? #5  
I don't know about the PT425, but when I change the oil in my Kubota, I drive each tire up onto 2"x6"x3' boards to give me a little extra clearance.

/ Oil, oil everywhere! - How do you change oil? #6  
As Snowridge said, there should be a drain valve on the left side of the engine with a right angle that points straight down over a large hole in the bottom of the engine compartment. I used a large coffe can to catch my oil when I change mine. As for the filter, I learned to wait about 20 minutes after I drained the oil, then put a layer of super absorbant paper towels down to catch any spill. It also helps to give the unit a bath before changing the oil. Pay special attention to the bottom of the engine compartment. This makes cleanup much easier. The Kohler desing of the filter on the side of the engine makes it a little messy, but not nearly as messy as the hydraulic filter.

When you go to change that, be prepared for an oil bath(a clean oil bath, but a bath none the less /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). It is very helpful to clean the engine compartment before changing the hydraulic filter. Not only to prevent contamination, but to aid in clean up. Use LOTS of paper towels under the filter and have a large pan to put the filter into when you take it out. Also, don't do it when the hydraulic oil is hot(ouch). That is the worst part about the Power Trac. If there waqs a better location for the hydraulic oil filter, or an access door, that would be a major desing improvement. But, if that's the worst thing that I have to deal with every 50 hours, it is still outweighed by the amazing productivity of the machine.

/ Oil, oil everywhere! - How do you change oil? #7  
<font color="blue"> He said it was Sherwin Williams Industrial Green. </font>

Try finding that in a store anywhere. I can't around here. I bought a can of JD green and Oliver green to experiment with later. They were about 3 bucks a can at TSC.

/ Oil, oil everywhere! - How do you change oil?
Thanks, MossRoad. You and your website were very instrumental in my purchase. I truly appreciate all your time, energy, and patience.

I stuck my head under the PT and found the drain. Duh! Major Duh! I can't believe I missed it. Hidden under the Bendix starter, no less.

Oh well, it is another good excuse to get into the engine compartment and do some more cleaning! (I'm now using some Castrol Super Clean, which does a very good job at emulsifying the oil - actually, Dawn dish detergent does a tolerable job as well, but the Castrol can be sprayed, which lets me get to things like hoses)

Thanks again, you guys!

Rob

PS - Good point SnowRidge - I located Super Lube at Lowe's (only $4/can!) and Mobil 1 grease (at Shucks - about $5/cartridge) and have been following the maintenance agressively - actually, I usually exceed the manufacturer's recommendations - Note that Power-Trac recommends changing engine oil very 50 hours, and Kohler recommends changing every 100. I will probably end up changing every 40 hours, maybe sooner. The Mobil 1 grease is nice, since it is a bright red color, and you can tell when it is oozing out of the joint, so you know when to stop. The Super Lube seems to do a good job of lubing all the moving ball sockets and bit and pieces- it leaves behind a good film containing Teflon (I know, they call it PTFE, and Teflon is actually a brand name). seems to work well. I've been spraying it everywhere, including various treadle linkages, ball joints, hydraulic piston rods, quick-attach assembly, etc. etc. The little extention tube on the can works well, and it's fast and doesn't make the slightly-messy little white splatter that white lithium spray grease does. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Oil, oil everywhere! - How do you change oil?
MossRoad, back in Sept of last year, you mentioned Old Post on Supplies

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( As far as maintaining the unit... I purchased a Kohler shop manual at a local small engine house. They will honor any Kohler warranty work. Besides the engine, there is only hoses and linkages. They are very simple to maintain. Two grease guns(regular and high-speed grease) and a can of spray lube, one ratcheting box end wrench, and a roll of paper towels is all I need.
)</font>

Why do you need two grease guns? Why do you use two types of grease, and where does each type of grease go?

Sincerely,

Rob /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Oil, oil everywhere! - How do you change oil? #10  
At the time, I was using regular grease for the joints and casters and such, and high temp grease on the mower spindles. I've since switched to high temp grease everywhere and now only use one grease gun. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I bought a tub of high speed grease(5 pounds?) that was cheaper than 3 tubes. So, I just pop off the end of the grease gun, stuff it into the tub, pull up on the plunger until it locks and it sucks right out of the tub. Wipe off the threads with a paper towel and put the cap back on. Not too bad. Keep the grease in the house in the winter or it gets too stiff to bulk load like that.