Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    2005 Power Trac 422

Default Re: 422 VS 425

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Sorbello View Post
    What is a "false floor" ?
    In the picture below, the black steel floor plates (with nonskid) are bolted by 4 bolts each with risers, creating a cavity about 4" deep in which the steering cylinder operates.

-photo-2-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Sorbello View Post
    Did the 422's ever have two cylinders for the steering?

I believe that is 2003 or 2004, the redesigned the PT422, switch from Kohler to Robin, and eliminating one of the steering cylinders. I bought mine in 2005.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -instrumentpanel-jpg  
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Now in Port Orchard, WA
    2005 PT-422
    4n1 bucket, minihoe, auger, 48" mower, land pride aerator, tow adaptor, forklift, crane, Herd GT77 spreader, LMB, 60" blade, M1 abrams turret.
    PT422 (6/23/05) photo page

Tractor
    PT 425

Tim_in_CT, you have to tell me what is your dash is used for. I see a warning light and a switch and a couple gages. What do these connect to. Looks like a good install.

Tractor
    2005 Power Trac 422

temperature sender on the hydraulic cooler, temp sensor on engine oil, red light/buzzer/switch connected to low engine oil pressure warning.

My installation, not a factory option.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Now in Port Orchard, WA
    2005 PT-422
    4n1 bucket, minihoe, auger, 48" mower, land pride aerator, tow adaptor, forklift, crane, Herd GT77 spreader, LMB, 60" blade, M1 abrams turret.
    PT422 (6/23/05) photo page

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Steiner 430

I have been doing my best to educate myself on the Power Trac 422 and 425 by reading many past and present posts on this forum. You guys have done a great job posting and gathering information on these tractors so that new bees like myself have a resource with a great bank of information to learn about them.

Here are some of things I have learned so far.
    1 Overall, most PT owners seem to love these machines. I think it is evident because there are so very few used machines for sale.

2 I am a little concerned about the Subaru Robin engine. I wish there were more options for engines.

3 I haven't read about anyone rolling one of these machines. I have a Steiner 420 and have come very close to rolling it. I have a few friends with Steiners and they have rolled theirs at least once. Also, the PT seem to be more operator friendly than the Steiner.

4 For some one on a tight budget, you aren't giving up a great deal purchasing the 422 vs the 425. I know you get the ROPS with the 425 and a little more HP. It seems as though most of the 422 owners that have posted on this forum seem pretty happy with their tractor.

I guess if I can't find a good used pt-425, I will probably pursue purchasing a new 422 in the future.
    Thanks for all of your advice. It is much appreciated.
    Frank

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

I think a few have put their PT400 series tractors on their sides. The ROPS does its job.

The ROPS with canopy has kept many falling dead branches off of my head in our woods. It also makes a great hand hold for either hand when operating in rough or hilly terrain.

It keeps some snow and rain off of your head and chest, but your knees will still get wet.

It keeps my bald head from baking in the sun, too.

It also makes a nice "BONG" sound when you hit your head on it climbing off or on the tractor.... you only do that once or twice before you remember.
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Tractor
    2000 Power Trac 422

I have rolled, actually put it on it's side, my PT 422 three times, I just don't like to talk about it. I bought the ROPS as an option, thank God. At this point I would gladly pay $2000 or $3000 extra for the extra wheel motor torque.
    Bob Rip
    Tell me and I will hear.
    Show me and I will see.
    Let me do and I will learn.
    Let me fail and I will understand.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    PT 422

The Robin engine has held up fine so far for me(650+ hrs). It is hard to start in really cold weather, I usually run a kerosene heater next to the PT for about an hour before starting on days below 25 degrees and she'll start up fine. I wish I had more torque, higher lift, etc. but I've always found a way around those limitations. I don't have the ROPS due to very low branched fruit trees that I need to run under so I am extra careful...have been on 3 wheels and a few times have felt like I might roll, but knock on wood(taps head) so far so good.

All that said, if I were to buy again I would probably go the 425.
    If diamonds are a woman's best friend then why does man's best friend like to drink from the toilet??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12