Comparison 422 VS 425

/ 422 VS 425 #1  

Frank Sorbello

Gold Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-422
Other than having more horsepower, larger wheel size, and a higher lift, is the 422 pretty much the same machine as the 425? The 425 is considered to be a commercial tractor according to Power Trac's web site and the 422 is more home owner. Would you have any reservations about purchasing the 422 vs the 425? Hoping to purchase a machine whether new or used in the Spring.

Thanks

Frank

/ 422 VS 425 #2  
I bought the 422. I don't believe the HP difference has been a problem. I can't use the ROPS because of my forest.

BUT...

The two-ram steering makes me wish I'd gotten the 425 and taken the ROPS off. I've only ripped out my single ram once so far but it could happen again, probably it'll pick the most inopportune time.

Phil

/ 422 VS 425 #3  
Higher torque wheel motors.

PT425 comes with a ROPS (which cost me $500 to add to my PT-422). So the PT-425 is really "only" $2k more.

If I was doing it again, I would come up with the extra cash for the PT425. Dual steering cylinder design is far superior. 3 people on this forum have had their single ram mount on the PT-422 rip out. I dislike this design, since there is a "false floor", which hides the hydraulic attachment point. Grass and debris collect in there, which can contribute to rust which leads to failure.

Extra 8" of lift is a bigger deal then you might think... I have ran out of lift height a number of times, especially when dumping a bucket.

A few years ago, the PT425 had a Kohler 25HP, and the PT422 had the Robin 22HP. Conventional wisdom was that the Kohler was a better engine then the Robin. Or at least easier to start in cold weather. Current PT425 come with Robin 25.

Keep your eye on the used-PT page on the power-trac... sometimes they have some good deals on used PT-425.

If you buy a new one, try to sweet talk Terry into delivering it with the Robin 27 HP fuel injected engine. Same engine as the Robin 25, but with FI. Exact same dimensions, so it is a drop in replacement. If enough people pester him about it...

Last edited:
   / 422 VS 425 #4  
The extra wheel motor torque is worth it. There have been many times when I could have used it.

/ 422 VS 425 #5  
I would probably spring for the extra if i did it again, but I love my 422, oh and i sprung for the rops too. It's taken some good hits from stuff falling out of tree.

/ 422 VS 425 #6  
Look at it this way....
PT422 - $8500 = $386/HP
PT425 - $11,500 = $460/HP

Back in 2001 when I bought my PT425 the price per HP was almost equal between the two models and I got a free ROPS.

The only differrences between the two units back then was HP, engine manufacturer, included ROPS and canopy, and dual steering cylinders.

Today, the differences are HP, dual steering cylinders, ROPS and canopy, higher torque wheel motors and an 8" higher lift capacity.

Is that worth $3000 more? Let's say you deem the ROPS mandatory, so that brings the price difference down to $2500.

Wheel motor torque:
I can tell you that my 2001 PT425 has the same wheel motors as the current PT422 and there are times when I could use more torque going up and down the hills in the forrest on our rural property, or powering over logs on the forest floor. That would be a big plus.

Dual steering cylinders:
As mentioned, several folks have found single cylinder steering on the 422 to be a design flaw, as it has torn out. Plus you have the added false floor to deal with, not on the 425.

Higher lift capacity:
My 2001 PT425 has the same lift height as the current 422. There have been a few times I could have used it. 8" is a lot when you're talking about 4'4" VS 5'.

So, I would say, if you can afford it, spring for the extras in the 425.

/ 422 VS 425
What is a "false floor" ?
Did the 422's ever have two cylinders for the steering?
Can you regulate the output on the hydraulics? For example, when using the stump grinder can you spin the blade as fast or as slow as you want it to go?

/ 422 VS 425 #8  
False floor: On the 422 the steering cylinder is attached on the left side of the front tube, right were you would put your foot, so PT put a plate of steel elevated above the cylinder on both sides so your feet are at equal height. The down side is that dirt and trash can accumulate underneath and should be cleaned out from time to time.

I don't know about the stump grinder, im guessing it on or off.

/ 422 VS 425 #10  
What is a "false floor" ?
Did the 422's ever have two cylinders for the steering?
Can you regulate the output on the hydraulics? For example, when using the stump grinder can you spin the blade as fast or as slow as you want it to go?

I believe all the newer machines are solenoid operated, instant on full flow.

My 1445 is an older machine, and had the lever valve for variable speed on the PTO.

However, there is no reason that you can not feed a valve like mine and then that valve will vary the PTO speed.

This is the valve.

Surplus Center - 1/2 NPT HYD FLOW CONTROL VALVE W/RELIEF RDRS150-16

Engine rpm will dictate the GPM to the PTO.