rotary cutter deck cracking

/ rotary cutter deck cracking #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( An alternative theory is that the absence of draft control on the 425 )</font>

What is "draft control"?

Thanks,

Rob /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ rotary cutter deck cracking #12  
Draft control is an hydraulic circuit that automatically picks up a portion of the load of the mower (or any other implement). On the 1400 and 1800 series tractors the draft control is electrically actuated and is adjustable for the amount of "lift".
The draft control transfers a portion of the weight of the mower to the tractor. This transfer improves traction and reduces stresses on the mower wheels. It also reduces turf damage by the deck wheels.

/ rotary cutter deck cracking #13  
From the pictures you posted it looks like a design or manufacturing problem. I suspect that if you weld them up they will not reappear. Just to be sure you could strap them with some thin flat bar.

/ rotary cutter deck cracking
mystery solved!

Saturday morning, as I was loading up my rotary cutter for a trip to the welder, I had it at eye level and noticed something that I had missed when it was on the ground: the whole deck was bent downward by at least 1.5 inches. Suddenly it all became clear, and the reason for the cracks on the sides of the deck was obvious. Also, I had been wondering why my rotary cutter seemed to be cutting closer and closer. Now I know why. The deck was being bent downward more and more so that at the front , the tip of the blade got closer and closer to the ground. When I got to the welding shop several farmers had bushhogs there being repaired. I noticed that every one of them had angle iron or the equivalent welded across the top of the deck to keep the deck rigid. The welder had to turn my rotary cutter upside down and use a come-along and a big wooden block to pull the deck straight (actually reverse bowed a little to account for spring-back). Then he welded some angle iron on the edges to hold the deck straight when he released the come-along. He next turned the deck over and welded two heavy pieces of angle iron on the top to make sure the deck stayed rigid. He finished up by spray painting the whole rotary cutter. Total cost was $80 plus a $10 tip, plus a half day of my time. Moral of the story. With heavy use, the rotary cutter deck will bend and become permanently bowed downward. It has nothing to keep it rigid except the deck plate itself and some flat reinforcement strips on the underside. On a 4 foot span neither is sufficient to prevent permanent deforming of the deck. Terry says they have never had a problem with the rotary cutter deck, but if that’s true, its because no one has reported it. In my humble opinion, and with due respect to Power-Trac, the lack of support (like angle iron or the equivalent) for rigidity on the rotary cutter deck is a design flaw. If you use the rotary cutter hard, you WILL bend the deck. It is an easy fix to stiffen up the deck. I am enclosing some pictures of my fix. The first one shows the whole deck. The second one shows a close up of the angle iron that was welded on the top and sides of the deck. I hope no one has the problem I had, but I will be surprised if some of you don’t. Ken in Mississippi.

Attachments

• 293973-email.1.jpg
    293973-email.1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 219
Re: mystery solved! another picture

Here's a close-up of the angle iron reinforcement. Note that the angle iron pieces on the top are welded to both the deck and the big vertical plates that attach to the deck. Ken in Mississippi

Attachments

• 293975-email.2.jpg
    293975-email.2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 220
   / rotary cutter deck cracking #16  
Re: mystery solved!

i'm glade you got it fixed,and it didn't seem like a bad price. i think the top of the deck should be heaver,all the strain is on it and it is the lightest metal thickness.no body else had that happen,you would have to believe in the tooth fairy to believe that.like they never had the governor come apart never left tools in a machine, put the wrong blades on the mower,low on oil. they make there share of mistakes too,the mowers are the weak link, the cut great but they not that durable.

/ rotary cutter deck cracking #17  

Thanks for the pictures. That welding job for $80.00 seems like a good deal, too.

Just a question, do you always mow with the joystick in float? The the only thing I could figure that would put enough load on the deck to bow it down would be if the joystick came out of float. Then the weight of the tractor could be transferred to the mower deck. I just can't see how the weight of the loader arms could put enough weight on the deck to bow it down in the middle if it was in float and the dump/curl was centered.

But you have the deck in front of you and you have the cracks, so something happened to it. And I only have a few hours on mine, but there is no obvious wear on mine.

Who else has the 48" brush hog here on TBN? Any of you have these cracks? Let's keep an eye out for them. If we get them, we can use the (from here on officially named) Kaon99 modification. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ rotary cutter deck cracking #18  

I'm wondering if it's the way the PT connects to the decks. It connects up high, so that pushing the mower (or bushhog) puts an overturning load on the deck. In heavy ground, this loads up the front castors and puts a bending moment on the deck structure.

/ rotary cutter deck cracking #19  

Ken. Are you putting down pressure on the deck when hogging? If the hog is carrying some of the weight of the tool carrier, then the deck would bend over time. Robert

MossRoad,

Except for special situations where I want to hold the rotary cutter off the ground (like over a rut, or stump), I always mow in the "float" position. Sometimes when I lower the rotary cutter (and other attachments, too) I miss the float position and briefly put the weight of the power-trac on the mower deck. I think the finish mower potentially has the same problem as the rotary cutter. From now on, I will be more careful when I lower any attachment.

On a different topic, how do you post multiple pictures and how do you put pictures in with your text? I have noticed some TBNer's doing that. I would appreciate whatever information on posting pictures that you can give me.

Thanks. - Ken in Mississippi