PT 180 vs. Kubota BX1500

/ PT 180 vs. Kubota BX1500 #1  

boduke_43235

Hello,

I'm getting ready for my first tractor purchase of my life due to my new house being built on 1 3/4 acres of land. I have some ? that I need help with. I plan on doing all of the grade work, landscaping, & eventually mowing when there is grass. I plan on using a loader, box blade, & a MMM. The land is relatively flat already & the soil is pretty conditioned already so I don't expect to need that much HP. The little green machine spec. out with loader, box grader, MMM, and a potato digger is 6K. The Kubota with everything as well is going to run me 10K. I have basic mechanical skills and have never really worked on hydralics. The $ I could save would be great...and my little woman would be excited about that as well. Is this little green machine going to be a maintenance hog or will it be reliable based on light to medium work? Thanks for any help/ideas you can offer.

/ PT 180 vs. Kubota BX1500 #2  
In my opinion (and experience) you would be far better off contracting out the grading to a professional and making your equipment decisions based on your ongoing maintenance needs.

/ PT 180 vs. Kubota BX1500 #3  
Hello to you.

I don't think anyone here has the new model PT180. Davesisk has a 1990 PT1418. Might be similar in power(might even be more powerful).

As for doing all the work yourself, landscaping is where the PT really shines. However, for the major dirt work, I agree with the suggestion of hiring it out, or at least get the contractor that builds your house to do the rough grade. Then I see no reason not to build flower beds, berms, etc... yourself.

<font color="blue"> Is this little green machine going to be a maintenance hog or will it be reliable based on light to medium work? </font>

My PT425 is no maintenance hog. There is routine maintenance every 8 hours that takes about 20 minutes. Just lube it up and wipe it down. Every 50 hours you have to change the hydraulic filter. Then is a good time to give it a bath, too. Filter takes about 10-20 minutes including clean up. If the PT180 is as reliable as my PT425, you should be fine.

By the way, what area of the country are you in(don't need to be specific)?

/ PT 180 vs. Kubota BX1500
Thanks for the info.

I live outside of Columbus, OH in Delaware County. So, Just a Buckeye throw away from that Golden Dome...

/ PT 180 vs. Kubota BX1500 #5  
Ah, Columbus. Just a simple 5 hour drive away(we've been to the zoo /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif).

/ PT 180 vs. Kubota BX1500 #6  
<font color="green">( I don't think anyone here has the new model PT180. )</font>

When I first started talking with Power Trac, I was considering a PT-180. The sales folks gave me the distinct impression that they have yet to build any, other than prototypes. I could be wrong of course . . . .

Frankly, after getting and operating the PT-425, and learning a little bit about hydraulics, I would be real concerned about the lack of an oil cooler on the little machine.

SnowRidge

/ PT 180 vs. Kubota BX1500 #7  
<font color="blue"> I would be real concerned about the lack of an oil cooler on the little machine. </font>

As I recall, when I was looking a few years ago there were three models in the 400 series; PT418, PT422 and PT425. I think the 418 had no fan and oil cooler than, either. I went with the 425 because I wanted the largest engine available in the 400 size chassis and the oil cooler, ROPS/Canopy. Dollar per HP turned out to be the almost the same across the entire line, so I got the ROPS/Canopy free(fuzzy math is great!).