New tractor purchase

/ New tractor purchase #1  

dbetts

Bronze Member
Tractor
PT 425(2003), Simplicirty Legacy XL
I really appreciate all the information on this discussion site. It has been a big help in narrowing down the
choices as I research new tractor options. I live on a pretty big hill in S.E Tennessee and mow about 2 acres
as well as maintaining 8 acres of woods. I do have a question about how well the mini hoe works as opposed
to a regular backhoe on a Kubota BX22. I will probably only use it for transplanting and digging an occasional
trench or maybe a small pond (garden water feature size).
I have not driven either the PT425 or Kubota which seem to be the two tractors closest to meeting my
needs. I hope to look at each of these in the next 3-4 weeks.

/ New tractor purchase #2  
I was in your shoes last month. I was trying to decide which Kubota to buy, basically. If the dealer had brought a BX2200 by 2 weeks ago, I probably would have it in the garage right now. I did test drive a BX1500, and it's a nice machine.

Having run across PT's website and then MossRoad's site, and having all the guys graciously answer my many questions - I ponied up my money (I was going to go for the 0% financing from 'bota) for a PT425 - check my profile for the list of stuff I bought. I had never seen the PTs. Being an engineer, I was also very analytical - I analyzed the design, reviews, etc. for weeks.

Having now put about 24 hours on my PT425, I am VERY glad I decided to go with the Power Trac. It has been very easy on the lawn, it has climbed the steep hills with ease, has snaked around the garden beds and trees. It has climbed rocks. It has moved 50+ yards of bark chips. It has mowed around 10,000 square feet of lawn on a slope. It has swept a large courtyard and a long, long driveway (up a slope). There is no way the Kubota would have done all this as easily or at as low a price. On certain portions of the property, it is very steep, and I am quite certain that without the articulation and the oscillation, plus the rear engine/low center-of-gravity, I would have flipped ANY other tractor over.

For me, I think the biggest factor is the sheer flexibility, coupled with what I note to be much much easier servicing and use - There are no transmissions. There are no differentials. There are no traditional brakes. There is no traditional steering mechanism.

Here's what I said before:

"However, the final analysis comes down to superior design. The concept of a rugged engine, mounted to a thick steel chassis, driving NOTHING but hydraulics, is a compelling concept for me. NO transmission. NO differentials. NO transaxel. NO steering rack. A LOT less to break down (I think) is compelling to me. Being able to purchase attachments at such a low price point is compelling for me. Being able to stay with a gas engine is compelling for me. Being able to fix things without too much fuss and bother (assuming PT stays around) myself is compelling. Having attachments that you can't get on any other tractor is compelling to me (forks, a brush hog that you can place at almost any angle, a mini-hoe that is under a K-buck). Being able to pick up any attachment to clean it is compelling to me (I dread having to clean the bottom of my 318's 50" deck - getting it off takes a lot of grunting, and then moving it to the side of the lawn and flipping it upside down is a colossal pain - the concept of just having the lift arms flip it up and let me hose if down is HUGE, in my eyes - ditto the brush hog). Making my own attachments. I could go on."

I have had my expectations exceeded in virtually every single area (I WOULD like a bagger - the 'bota has one, but this one doesn't), but I would NOT go back, even if the 'bota was less expensive.

Don't get me wrong. I think the BX1500 is a fine machine, and for someone with more modest needs, and the need for local dealer services, it is the way to go.

My PT425 arrived with a leaking connector and a few paint scuffs - but to me, (after tightening the connector, and dusting it off), it is a far more beautiful, tougher tractor than the 'bota - because it is touch, flexible, easy to maintain, fast, easy and FUN. I really like it.

I wish you the best in your decision.

-Rob /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ New tractor purchase
I agree on all those points. I think the main advantage the kubota seems to have is in
the back-hoe vs. mini hoe. I understand you purchased a mini hoe. Does it
work pretty well?
The bagger discussion is interesting as well. I bought a lawn sweeper to pull
behind my Toro 520-H and it works for sweeping leaves, but is no help with
grass clippings because of the side discharge. It seems to me that with rear
d/c decks (are both the 48" & 60" rear d/c?) a sweeper could get most
clippings. Maneuvering a tow behind accessory would likely be tricky I'm guessing.
I was on BCS tiller/2 wheel tractor web site and noticed thier design for mowing
decks is right/top discharge with the grass catcher on top of the deck. Maybe
that design could work out for PT.

/ New tractor purchase #4  
<font color="blue">Maneuvering a tow behind accessory would likely be tricky I'm guessing. </font>

Really, it's not too bad. I find it very easy to back up a trailer with the Power Trac. You just have to remember where that front mounted implement is and where it is going to go while you are backin up. As for the forward direction, the whole procession is like a catipillar... lots of little sections following the front one.