LED Work Lights

/ LED Work Lights #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
So just my notes on LED Work Lights. When I got the PT I hated the lighting, and immediately purchased some 55 watt floods that I hung off the ROPS, front and rear. As a note, I used Calk to hold the wiring down and that has suited me well.

Anyway, I keep blowing bulbs, and I worry about the amperage, so I opened the wallet for some 27 Watt LED's off of EBAY. They came as advertised, appear to be well made, I see no difference between them and the "US" made (and i am pretty sure there is none). The one big bummer was that the mounts are marginal at best. Seems like the could have spent a bit more and had something more effective (they don't hold tilt well, but I am working on a solution).

one thing I did have to do was mount the LEDs further out on the front ROPS. While this opens it up to a bit of exposure, I found now that I can point the lights down and work at night, seeing the close by ground so much better.

Light is a science, and I do understand it. I would say that the system with the truer white (blue) color tends to illuminate the road better. They rate these at 2000 lumens, and as they are LED the lumens measure is more on, they seem to provide better viewing than the 55 watt floods. The 55 watt floods said to be rated at 1500 lumens but in reality, the inneficency in bulb design had people testing them at 400 to 800 lumens depending on housing.

So, I guess my advice is it is a very worthwhile upgrade. And if you do, take your low level lights off and mount them to your ROPS, you won't be disappointed. And those with the smaller engines, you get more lumens for less amps so if you hate the lights on your 425 this could be the a ticket.

/ LED Work Lights #2  
What lights did you get? I am going to install LEDs on the Rops of my L4400 and my BX1500 and like the opinions of others that have actually laid hands on an item. Thanks

/ LED Work Lights #3  
In order to keep the tilt from sagging down put an O-ring between the mounting bracket and the light and snug it back down and that will help keep it from moving.

/ LED Work Lights
I just went to Ebay. There are like 5 companies that sell them. Came from China. I don't loose much sleep about getting ripped from China so I was comfortable with that.

I can find the exact vendor if you want. Just need to dig through emails. Let me know. Oh, spots are easy to find, it was the Floods that were hard.

/ LED Work Lights
In order to keep the tilt from sagging down put an O-ring between the mounting bracket and the light and snug it back down and that will help keep it from moving.

Thanks. I figured that out late tonight but advice is always appreciated.. Still, wouldn't it have been special if .....

/ LED Work Lights #6  
My LED's are only 18W versus Carl's 27W and at the link below, you can see the distinct improvement. So Carl's must REALLY be much better than stock!

PT1850 LED Lights

Ken

/ LED Work Lights #7  
I bought a bunch of these over the last several months. The Chinese ones from ebay look like seconds from the primary line to SuperBrightLEDs. The stainless on the supports is not as high a quality as SuperBrightLEDS, nor as good as the ones on Amazon, and if you look closely there are minor deficiencies in assembly. I don't think for my uses that the price difference is warranted. I've put them on the back of my trucks, trailer, and I can say it makes a world of difference over the Harbor Freight halogen floods that I had before. Backing trailers down narrow roads at night is no problem now. The PT is up next, as soon as one of the floods that are on my ROPS blows.

I agree with Carl, spot lights are all over, but finding the floods are a little harder. My favorites are the SuperBrightLED versions, but I can't rationalize the extra price. They were a much better deal (relatively speaking) at SuperBrightLEDs when Ken first posted them (and when I bought the first ones).

And yes, the 27W floods are a LOT brighter. The illumination is very uniform, which makes night work much easier.

I liked these lights so much that I replaced the floods on my house with versions of these and I'm really happy with how brightly and how far they illuminate the area. (Lowe's had a really good special on 2x24W motion detectors.)

All the best,

Peter

/ LED Work Lights #8  
I know that tractorhelp.com has the 27w LED lights also. I've got a set of them mounted on my loader and they have served me well so far. I made sure that I got the brackets tight and I haven't had any problems with them moving.