PT Steering Project

/ PT Steering Project
Thanks Moss and if it gets worse instead of better I will follow that advice. I believe that it is all due to the spinner knob though. I took it off and low and behold my shoulder quit bothering me. So much so I put it back on. It was a mistake but it made the PT so much better to operate. Son-in-law likes it but I want to protect his rotor cup too. I told him if when I replace the wheel with a leaver and he (after some seat time) does not like it as well or better I would consider the modification to be a failure.
I am right eye dominate and right handed but all controls seem to fit me perfect till this shoulder trouble. Just think though just pull or push on the leaver to steer instead of all that motion. I think I like the idea even without the shoulder trouble. We will see because I sure plan on trying it. Probably be after the holidays though. I will keep everyone posted.

/ PT Steering Project #12  
The hoses that connect to the steering valve are a tight fit. I'd be surprised if there is enough slack to get you to a valve mounted outside of the steering column box structure. You will need hoses and adapters. I can't recall what fitting size is on the valve. Sorry. Whatever you end up doing, I'd make the lever long enough so you don't have to reach for it. For me, that would be belly height a little off center to the left, yet reachable by your right so you can switch hands steering when lefty gets fatigued. Again, a fighter pilot cockpit arrangement comes to mind. You kind of wear a PT VS sitting in one anyway with the center hump. :)

/ PT Steering Project #13  
For those of us without spinner knobs, what is it that you do that you find the spinner knob so useful for?
Just curious.

I don't find myself rapidly cranking the wheel, or at least not very often, so I am interested in what the use is.

All the best,

Peter

/ PT Steering Project #14  
Hi Peter,

I mostly find myself using it with the mini hoe.

/ PT Steering Project #15  
This past year someone had an old pt for sale on the used power trac page. It had a handle bar for steering. Power trac might have made them that way sometime ago. Worth a call to Terry for info and maybe parts to convert?

/ PT Steering Project #16  
Oh my peter. The spinner nob is a life saver. Seriously. You gotta put one on, you will wonder how you lived without it.

/ PT Steering Project #17  
My 180 has very sensitive steering . you could not even think of using a spinner knob. My 1460 has to have it . Maybe switch to 180 steering valve.

/ PT Steering Project #18  
For those of us without spinner knobs, what is it that you do that you find the spinner knob so useful for?
Just curious.

I don't find myself rapidly cranking the wheel, or at least not very often, so I am interested in what the use is.

All the best,

Peter

I use mine a lot when mowing around my fruit trees. Lots of back and forth while turning. Also when plowing snow. Loader work while right hand is on joystick. Same with grappling logs in the woods. The spinner knob makes precision movement much easier and also allows your right hand to remain on the joystick. It is probably the first modification I made. I found one at TSC that was JD greeen, so it matches my PT425 just right.

/ PT Steering Project #19  
Mine is JD green as well and I also got it at TSC. Couldn't live without it now.

/ PT Steering Project
All the praise for the spinner knob I well understand and I know most no one will listen to the fact that using one if doing a lot of turning can be so ergonomically incorrect that eventually it will cause pain, discomfort and possibly permanent damage. Just wanted to say this again because I know how moss is safety concerned. You just wont see it till it happens to you. I am sorry guys but the color of the spinner knob should be RED for danger.
That is interesting about the 180. I wonder why it is so easy to turn. Maybe it has a different steering valve or could there be a setting on mine. I don t think so.
You know by changing from a steering wheel to a leaver I will get to say I operate my PT instead of driving it. I like the sound of that better. LOL
Why does one need a Power beyond valve if one dosn t use the lift valve while steering? I don t think you would but that may be hard to keep form doing.

PS I love my (Green) spinner knob too. It just didn t love me.