PT Steering Project

/ PT Steering Project #21  
The current steering valve provides hydraulic pressure to the loader aux pto valve through a power beyond port if you remove the steering valve you will have to find a new power source for the loader aux pto valve. It also provides steering priority over that valve. You need a power source for the loader valve so why not off of the new steering valve

/ PT Steering Project #22  
As MossRoad said, the main use/need of a spinner knob is one handed turning while operating the loader... However, I rarely use the knob anymore. I have weak wrists and it get painful after a while. There seems to be more "resistance" to turning from the steering wheel than seems necessary for hydraulic steering. Even frequent two hand turning is tiresome sometimes. Does anyone know what causes the resistance? Is it tune-able? I will watch this thread with interest. I think that the handle bar and the "stick" approaches are worth consideration.

/ PT Steering Project #23  
Spinner knob is a must have for me too. I understand the comments on how it may be detrimental to some users. Personally, I get more wrist pain from using a computer mouse than I do the knob.

/ PT Steering Project #24  
So I don't know squat about hydraulics compared to JJ and the rest of the gang, but I wonder if there would be a better control system than agricultural hydraulics. Maybe aircraft or manufacturing controls where control is much more precise and necessary.

I feel you can do this but IMO you are going to have to cut off the control panel, probably where it attaches to the body and fab up a new goer with new guage positions .

/ PT Steering Project #26  
Well, for starters, the machines steer much more easily at full throttle. 3600 RPM gas engines are meant to be run at 3600 RPMs, so make sure you're running at full throttle. Anything less and you aren't running the engine's cooling fan fast enough to keep the engine cool, which can lead to heat build up in the engine and lessen engine life.

2nd, I wonder if a larger diameter steering wheel would help? More leverage = easier turning. Some math genius here do the calculations and see how much leverage you would gain with a 1" or 2" diameter gain in a steering wheel.

Or, let's post pictures of where the spinner knobs are mounted.

Here's mine. It's a tad inside the ring of the steering wheel. I wonder if mounting it farther out from the center would gain significant leverage to decrease the force needed to turn the wheel. Of course, you'd have to be sure your won't be smacking the joystick with your knuckles.
8792d1035743354-pt-additions-modifications-54-205404-spinner.jpg

/ PT Steering Project #27  
Aircraft , tanks and a lot of things use HYD because it is the best thing for low power input to high power output at the moment.

On the subject of spinner knobs, I always mount mine at about the 270 degree position with wheels pointed at 000.

/ PT Steering Project #28  
Why does one need a Power beyond valve if one dosn t use the lift valve while steering? I don t think you would but that may be hard to keep form doing.

I think the use of power beyond ensures that steering has priority over lift/tilt. Because steering and lift/tilt are powered by the same pump, and because safety demands steering priority(in my opinion), then the appropriate implementation is power beyond rather than feeding steering and lift/tilt directly from the common pump.

/ PT Steering Project #29  
Right. Think about if your ran one pressure hose to the front of the tractor and put a TEE in it to feed a steering valve and the loader valve. You're steering along and open the FEL valve and your steering goes bye-bye without some sort of priority flow divider. Why add a priority flow divider when you can get the same effect with one valve that has a power beyond port?

/ PT Steering Project
Ok so at this I do not really need a power beyond valve. Right? Just do not expect to steer while lifting, curling or locking a quick plate in. Or is there more to it than that? In this project let us say to avoid confusing that the steering valve must be removed and a leaver installed.
Also I do understand about the full throttle rpm thing helping the steering valve operate easer. I even redesigned the spinner knob to be further out than the one moss pictured. You just want see the reasoning behind this project till consequences happen to you. If you have the power in your arm with no pain you are just going to keep cranking the wheel. As did I. It might be this never takes enough toll on you to be a concern. I know this. Good Luck! The thing is steering must go and leaver is to be installed. That is my reality.
Thanks for covering these other things just want to keep on the track I intended. Steering NO-- Leaver YES. Now someone write another paragraph on the advantages of a steering valve. That would be hilarious (funny). LOL. Love you guys. Merry Christmas.
PS. seriously don t mind me. Talk about steering wheels all you want to. I am having a good time here.