Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Power Trac PT-425 (2017)

Default Drilling hole in ROPS of 425 for lighting wire?

With the days getting shorter, I'm ready to upgrade Pedro's lighting. I was planning on replacing the stock lights with LED pods and adding two more pods up near the top of the ROPS. I tried searching the forum for what others have done with not much luck.

My question is, will a hole just big enough for the wiring and probably a grommet cause too much of a weakening to the round pipes of the ROPS.

My thought was to drill through where the ROPS mounts the the frame which is very near where the current light wiring is and then run the wiring up out a hole at the top. I know that just using zip ties would be much easier, but I would prefer to have the wiring protected and out of the way.

Any thoughts?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200

Default Re: Drilling hole in ROPS of 425 for lighting wire?

Do the math!

A 1/4 inch hole in the center axis of a 2X2 steel structure amounts to sheet!

Again, do the math.

I mean, can you even "guess" the loads on a ROPS/

No, I don't think so.

Do you think the "factory engineers" calculated the ROPS to the nth? Or did they give a "factor of safety"?
    my money is on the latter,

But don't be a fool!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere

Don't be a fool!

Are you mad?

It is my understanding (from this far away at least) that the minute, nay second, that you drill into your ROPS you technically 'affect' the integrity of the structure and instantly negate the Certification it carries from the OEM.

Naturally, as a result, you give carte blance to your insurer to deny any claim you may make in the future should there be an 'incident'.

Drilling any holes (no matter how small) and welding any brackets (no matter how useful) "alter" the structure from the certified drawings held on-file and which are the 'bible' in such contested issues.

I don't know why I'm bothering to write this. You may already have bypassed your seat switch as well...

Cable-ties for wires. Clamps for brackets. ("Know safety, no pain. No safety, know pain.")

Of course you could perforate it like a cheese grater (A la B17 bomber) and go and get it re-certified by a qualified engineer. Those ROPS are way too heavy aren't they?? (Just kidding!)

Tractor
    Kubota BX-25D, Z122RKW-42, and JD circa 1990 Lawn Tractor

Yeah the 1/4in hole is nothing... from a static strength standpoint. And probably won't be an issue from a fatigue/corrosion standpoint for you. BUT! Not the best solution or even close. Here is another solution in case you are interested.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/b...?highlight=led
    Last edited by dragoneggs; 09-29-2017 at 04:56 AM.

Tractor
    Kubota M6040

I considered holes in my ROPS to route wiring but found a much better, simpler solution. I found nylon wire ties with external loops for holding wiring. Just wrap the wire tie around the ROPS where you need the lighting wires to be attached - route the lighting wires thru the external loop - you are done.

Easy to attach - easy to route - easy to remove - has no impact on ROPS integrity.
    Ride hard or sit your butt on the porch

"isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2650HST. Kubota Z125S

When I was a working man I was involved in construction safety. As I remember, it was clear that any ROPS modification by drilling, cutting or welding affected the integrity of the ROPS. However minor you think the change is, you do void any engineering. Drilling is a no-no.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Case DX55, Ford 850

I zip tied my wires since I didn't know if I would want to leave the lights mounted in the same area or not. I later found these, https://www.menards.com/main/electri...158-c-6443.htm , which might be a cleaner look than the zip ties all the way around the ROPs tube in several locations.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Power Trac PT-425 (2017)

Thanks for all the feedback. I will definitely be using the wire tie method.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Massey GC1720 & Mitsu MT180D

GC17xx series comes with holes drilled/engineered into the ROPS for OEM wiring so running additional wires through existing holes is a no-brainer, but I would never drill the ROPS and expect it to save me.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25D

Quote Originally Posted by Impulse View Post
    My question is, will a hole just big enough for the wiring and probably a grommet cause too much of a weakening to the round pipes of the ROPS.
    Yes.

Cable ties, clamps. Yes, it's ugly. Life's hard sometimes.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast