Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

Default Deutz Run On help

Okedoke, another new issue. I noticed that when I shut down my tractor (turn the key off) If I have the throttle up the engine keeps running. or takes a while to wind down.

Now last year I had a big issue with water in the fuel tank (came from a bad batch of fuel). What I did not know is that the water sat in the gas tank for a while and rusted the bottom. Since then I have been dealing with plugged filters from the rust coming off the bottom of the tank. That is now pretty much gone but I am wondering if maybe some grit got into something important on the deutz.

I don't know if the machine has a solenoid off or how the fuel system works. Any ideas willl be greatly appreciated. I am assuming something is sticky when it should be shutting off..

Oh I am running a lot of diesel fuel cleaner to make sure that there is no condendstion left in the bottom of the tank. Maybe that is causeing the run on ....
    Power-Trac 1850, grapple, hoe, 90" mower, 72" box blade

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

Default Re: Deutz Run On help

First thing is to find the shut off solenoid and see what it is doing, or not doing.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Power Trac PT1445

Carl- Sticky or bad fuel solenoid. If it were me, I would take it out, clean it, and try it again to make sure that it cycles well. If it is good, I would put it back in, if not, new solenoid.

All the best, Peter

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

Just learned something new.....

While it may very well be a sticky solenoid, Terry thinks it might be related to the cooling fan. He says that they can start to generate electricity when shut off. So, driving the tractor hard, fan is running, turn the engine off with throttle up a bit and the fan will back feed the solenoid keeping it on.

Hows them apples?
    Power-Trac 1850, grapple, hoe, 90" mower, 72" box blade

Tractor
    Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator

A diesel engine can't possibly run without fuel. If it is an old school injector pump, the shut off must not be closing. The fan generating power is a new one on me. Just look at the solenoid and see what it does. If it is the fan, you could probably put in a relay or maybe just a diode in a strategic location to isolate the fan from the solenoid. One would have to see a schematic.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Power Trac PT1445

Easy to check. Leave the hood up, and yank the fan fuse.

It would only do so for a few seconds. How long a run on are you talking about? Does it stop all at once, or does it slow chug down to zero? The former could be the fan, the latter would seem more like fuel starvation from a sticky solenoid.

All the best, Peter