Making a cheap aerator...

/ Making a cheap aerator... #1  

smartguyz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD318, Power-Trac PT425 with scuffed-up green paint.
Hi guys -

Got a funky idea. I have a PT425, which I love, and I want to rig up some inexpensive implements for fairly light use. For example, I use my plug aerator on a regular basis, but I can't justify spending $1200 for the super unit that PT sells. I have the following aerator for my 9000SF of lawn -
AeratorPlug40.jpg

I was planning on using the 30" forks, and then adapt this aerator to be used as a front-mounted implement in the following way: <ul type="square"> [*]cut some 4x4 wood to fit into the top of the aerator [*]Secure the 4x4s to the tray of the aerator (bolts, most likely) [*]put some 2x4s across the top of the 4x4s [*]attach 2x4s to 4x4s using some kind of large wing nuts [*]sandwich the tines of the forks between the 2x4s and the 4x4s [/list]

The idea would be to make some way to use the forks to both lift and control the aerator, and to apply downpressure during aeration. This would allow me to simply undo the wing nuts and slide the aerator off the forks, and restore the aerator back to its normal use. Thus I could create a really inexpensive front-mounted core aerator that is lightweight, useful, and meets my needs.

What do you guys think of this idea?

-Rob /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Making a cheap aerator... #2  
My concern would be that the PT 425 can provide more down force and "push" than a light duty core aerator can handle.

/ Making a cheap aerator...
Hi Bob -

I agree - this can't take too much downpressure. In fact, the owner's guide suggests that no more than about 150 lbs of weight be placed on the tray. It would be nice to have some way of controlling the downpressure - I can't think of this off-hand - has anyone thought about this aspect of it? Other than that - I think it will work.

-Rob /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Making a cheap aerator... #4  
One thought is that you could leave room to stack blocks on top of it, and just leave the lift arms in float (that way, the attachment only has it's own weight pressing it down).

I was thinking of rigging up an aerator this fall also, but I was thinking along the lines of buying one of these Item# 24055 at <a href="http://www.northerntool.com" target="_blank">www.northerntool.com</a> and welding some eyes to the tonque to put my 3 pins through when the tonque is vertical (the equivalent of welding a quick attach plate to a newer model). I'm not sure if this guy would support the weight of lifting the front of the tractor, but I could probably at least put some weight on it. If not, float should still work pretty well.

Dave

/ Making a cheap aerator... #5  
(not directd at anyone in particular)
Just a note on aerators.
If you are serious about getting an aerator, core aerators are supposed to be much better for the lawn than the spike type as they open a hole without compressing the sides of the hole. This allows for better air circulation and water penetration. I don't own one yet, but wish I did. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Making a cheap aerator... #6  
Didn't know that...thanks MR!

Dave

/ Making a cheap aerator...
Hi guys -

Here in the Pacific Northwest, hard clay soil is the norm. Most gardeners and landscapers know that using a core aerator is the only way to go. You can actually see when using a spike aerator that the cuts made in the soil close up within a few hours, and certainly at the next rain or watering.

All the landscapers that I have seen use power core aerators. The roller-type aerator that you see above is one I purchased at Home Depot, and it IS a core-type. Lightweight, but still a core type. I have found its performance when loaded with rocks to be adequate if I run my tractor over the property several times. My hope with the PT hack mentioned here is to get easier and more precise control of down pressure, and to be able to see the implement as it works, to control it in areas that need more attention, etc.

I'll move ahead with my mods and let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the commentary -

Rob /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Making a cheap aerator... #9  
you are so correct Mr. MR. spiking rather than core aerating compacts the soil even more. the core aerates the soil and creates a seedbed for new grass seed to grow at the same time