Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Default Re: My diesel is so loud! Any mods out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Island Goose View Post
    Thanks for all your input. While browsing through the link that Moss gave, I came across another hearing protection ear muffs that is rated NRR 30. I may give that a try too along with the plugs. Mine is rated at 26 but it sure would be nice to cut that in half.

Eventually I would still prefer to have a quieter tractor. I feel that when I wear the ear muffs, something could be happening around me and I would not be aware of it. My wife may resort to using the pellet gun on me just to call me in for dinner
    I'd swap out that pellet gun for a paint ball gun. Could be fun if you come around the garage and your wife ambushes you from behind the trash cans with some pink paintball splotches!
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Tractor
    2005 Kubota L5030 GST; Farmall 706

-image-3773255964-jpg

Best cheap ear plugs I personally have ever used. Less than two bucks at Wallyworld.

I could never get the foam ones to stay in my ear...these are AWESOME!
    Dean

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    PT 422

Quote Originally Posted by MossRoad View Post
    I'd swap out that pellet gun for a paint ball gun. Could be fun if you come around the garage and your wife ambushes you from behind the trash cans with some pink paintball splotches!
    My Nephew made a muffler for my 422 and the result were dramatic. Still a lot of mechanical noise and hearing protection a must, but my Wife doesn't need to throw rocks and sticks at me anymore

He happened to be at my house when i started up the PT and was dumb founded about how load it was. He asked me if i would mind if he modded up a muffler for it. So i took off the exhaust manifold and he came back the next day with a whole new exhaust system. Made from scrap stainless milk line and a used fire extinguisher. He had asked me what the displacement of the engine was to help him come up with a design. I think he's a flipping genius. When i first started off, i thought i was dragging the bucket on the gravel but it was just the sound of me driving over it and i could hear it over the noise.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Power Trac PT1445

First, yes, the Deutz's are loud. Believe it or not, the upgrade to the FL2011 engines was to reduce noise to meet European regulations.
    Second, on the Deutz's, unlike the 4XX series, a lot of the noise is from the engine, so a custom muffler won't get you much. (Although if I were close to Cqaigy2's nephew, I'd be on his doorstep begging him to wave a magic wand. He sounds brilliant. If you want to send him down here for a few months, I've got a list a mile long. :-) )

I have used a couple of different models of ear muffs; I prefer the Peltor and the Howard Leights, both at a NRR of 30. After driving over a pair because the dark color of the muffs blended in with the tire, I now use the high visibility ones. I don't do the ear plug plus muff, because my hands aren't usually clean enough to be pulling them on and off, and I seem to need to pop off the hearing protectors to chat with others.

All the best,

Peter

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

I have a friend who uses his Bose Noise Canceling on the tractor. $300. But they are comfortable, VERY comfortable. They are robust but I would not feel tractor robust. You might want to look into something like a STIHL hard hat with ear muffs. It is the band that is hurting you more than likely. Also there are some great shooting ear muffs, but again, $$$. But if it s a choice between a headache of hearing loss, I would spend the money as well.
    Power-Trac 1850, grapple, hoe, 90" mower, 72" box blade

Tractor
    Kubota B9200 HSTD and Allis 720

You guys should have told me that I needed ear protection as a kid running the Caterpillars with straight stacks back in the 50's, and dust protection and sun protection and eye protection......

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Quote Originally Posted by npalen View Post
    You guys should have told me that I needed ear protection as a kid running the Caterpillars with straight stacks back in the 50's, and dust protection and sun protection and eye protection......
    WHAT?

MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12