My diesel is so loud! Any mods out there?

/ My diesel is so loud! Any mods out there? #1  

Island Goose

Tractor
Power-Trac PT1430
Hello all. I have tried searching old postings for any fixes for the loud diesel on my 1430 but didn't find any. Has anyone done any mods to quiet it down a bit??

I have tried several different type of hearing protection already but there has to be something better. I find that if I work for more than a couple hours straight, I get a head ache.

Can I attach a second muffler?

/ My diesel is so loud! Any mods out there? #2  
   / My diesel is so loud! Any mods out there? #3  
Hello all. I have tried searching old postings for any fixes for the loud diesel on my 1430 but didn't find any. Has anyone done any mods to quiet it down a bit??

I have tried several different type of hearing protection already but there has to be something better. I find that if I work for more than a couple hours straight, I get a head ache.

Can I attach a second muffler?

A plate with many holes on the end of the exhaust pipe.

I have seen something like this many years ago and was impressed by the quietness of the exhaust.

Have you considered a plate that covers the end of the muffler with many holes drilled in it for the exhaust.

It seems like the frequency and intensity is based on the diameter of the pipe and the force of the exhaust, and the exit holes..

A comparison might be if you blow air over a 22 bullet shell, the freq will be high, and if you blow air over a shotgun shell, it will be lower.

It will not take but a little bit of effort to take, say a 2 in pipe and increase it to about 4 in, and cover it with a plate, and then drill out enough metal to equal the area of the 2 in pipe to have same back pressure.

If the pipe is 2 in, then the area of the pipe outlet is 3.14 in , so if you increased the pipe to 4 in, and covered it with a plate, and then drilled 64 , 1/4 holes, that would give you the same opening, and change the frequency and loudness.

You might double check my math, because you would want the same back pressure and a lower sound.

Maybe something like this also. or the second picture

Attachments

• muffler spark arrestor.png
    muffler spark arrestor.png
    93.8 KB · Views: 166
  • mufflers_009.jpg
    mufflers_009.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
   / My diesel is so loud! Any mods out there? #4  
Adding to JJ's comments, I'm wondering how much of the "diesel noise" is produced by the engine components in addition to the exhaust.

/ My diesel is so loud! Any mods out there? #5  
Yes, Deutz diesels are inherently loud.

/ My diesel is so loud! Any mods out there? #6  
Adding to JJ's comments, I'm wondering how much of the "diesel noise" is produced by the engine components in addition to the exhaust.

Allot. The Daedongs for example, produce allot of unpleasant sounds, but few of them are coming out the exhaust.

/ My diesel is so loud! Any mods out there? #7  
I have tried several different type of hearing protection already but there has to be something better.

Go to an audiologist and have custom molded ear plugs made. Much beter noise blocking and 5x more comfortable.

My pair cost me $75, and I'd replace them tomorrow if they went missing.

/ My diesel is so loud! Any mods out there?
Thanks for all your input. While browsing through the link that Moss gave, I came across another hearing protection ear muffs that is rated NRR 30. I may give that a try too along with the plugs. Mine is rated at 26 but it sure would be nice to cut that in half.

Eventually I would still prefer to have a quieter tractor. I feel that when I wear the ear muffs, something could be happening around me and I would not be aware of it. My wife may resort to using the pellet gun on me just to call me in for dinner :(

/ My diesel is so loud! Any mods out there? #9  
Eventually I would still prefer to have a quieter tractor. I feel that when I wear the ear muffs, something could be happening around me and I would not be aware of it. My wife may resort to using the pellet gun on me just to call me in for dinner :(

I've never known an open station tractor that I would operate at PTO RPM's and not wear hearing protection.

/ My diesel is so loud! Any mods out there? #10  
Max-lite ear plugs are very comfortable and rated for 30 dB.

Ken