What to look for when testing a used machine

/ What to look for when testing a used machine
She won't start. Don't want to use starting fluid on her.

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #12  
Change the engine oil and filter.
Drain all the fuel.
Change the fuel filter.
Put some fresh gas in it.
Replace the plugs with correct gap and check for good spark before continuing.

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #13  
Does the starter turn the engine?

Is the PTO switch on?

Is there a gas shut off switch?

Is battery good enough for whatever?

Check ground connections.

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #14  
Is it below 40 deg F?
Is the choke opening and closing?

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #15  
That depends... African or European Swallow? i dont know that! AHHHHHHHH!
:)

I've been messing with this engine for several hours. I know it will start with starting fluid, but I want to find and fix the problem. The battery is new. The engine was rebuilt in the fall. When it is running, it does run and sound good. I drained all the gas out of the tank, fuel filter, carb and lines, and replaced with high test gas. Oil is fresh and at a good level. Spark plugs look good. The choke opens and closes good. When I turn the key, she sounds like she wants to start. You can see a puff of fire out of the breather and an occasional back fire. You could also see the carb spitting gas in to the breather. It was below 40 this morning when I first tried. In the afternoon the temp climbed to almost 50 and she still didn't want to start.

Thanks
Frank

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #17  
I've been messing with this engine for several hours. I know it will start with starting fluid, but I want to find and fix the problem. The battery is new. The engine was rebuilt in the fall. When it is running, it does run and sound good. I drained all the gas out of the tank, fuel filter, carb and lines, and replaced with high test gas. Oil is fresh and at a good level. Spark plugs look good. The choke opens and closes good. When I turn the key, she sounds like she wants to start. You can see a puff of fire out of the breather and an occasional back fire. You could also see the carb spitting gas in to the breather. It was below 40 this morning when I first tried. In the afternoon the temp climbed to almost 50 and she still didn't want to start.

Thanks
Frank

Below 40 mine will not start. I suspect 50 is marginal. Do you have a block heater? Also you can pull the plugs, warm them with a cigarette lighter and then reinstall them quickly while still warm. Then try to start. I keep mine in a heated garage.

Bob, Has your tractor always been that way? Doesn't make sense that it won't start below 40. Is it because of the hydraulic load the engine has to carry? Bob do you use starting fluid to start?

Very confused. Where is the tow valve located on the pump?

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #19  
Bob, Has your tractor always been that way? Doesn't make sense that it won't start below 40. Is it because of the hydraulic load the engine has to carry? Bob do you use starting fluid to start?

Very confused. Where is the tow valve located on the pump?

It has always been like this. I got a free upgrade from Robin Subaru that had improved ignition coils and a more powerful starter. They did not seem to help. My experience is very limited with cold starting since I keep it in a super insulated (R50) garage that is attached to the house. It very rarely gets below 60 F.

I think the hydraulic loading is slowing the cranking. I will see what I can find on the tow valve. Call Power Trac and they will help. They have the best telephone support.

I have a magnetic block heater which I attach to the hydraulic tank, but I have almost no experience using it.

I rarely use starting fluid.

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #20  
Spark plugs look good.

Replace them anyway and make sure the gap is correct. For that matter, you may want to get one size hotter just to get it running, then once its tuned up see if you can go back to the correct temperature plugs.