What to look for when testing a used machine

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #22  
valve lash is off seen mine do the same thing an inexpensive fix but can be a little time consuming

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #24  
valve lash is off seen mine do the same thing an inexpensive fix but can be a little time consuming

Isn't that supposed to be part of some 500 hour maintenance schedule ( or some timed event)?

I would suggest the O.P. get a service manaul for that model engine. The adjustments should be in there.

/ What to look for when testing a used machine
So I called Terry at Power Trac this afternoon and did my best to explain what was happening to my pt-422. Basically he gave the same advice that you all been giving me.
First thing he said to do was check the oil level, which I did at 10 times since I had the tractor.
Second thing he said was to change the plugs. I had checked the plugs and they seemed fine, almost new. But he said as well as you to change them out.
Third thing he said was to put the battery on a booster. Try starting without the choke at first to get the plugs hot, then try the choke. He said call me back if that doesn't work. I did everything he said to do and it still sound the same and wouldn't start.
I called him back. Told me to a squirt bottle, like a windex bottle, and put gas in it. Take the air filter off and put a squirt into the top of the carburetor, then try to start it. WOW!!!!! She fired right up. I was ecstatic.
I called Terry back.
I said is the fuel pump bad, he said yes and no. He said the only problem with the Robin engines are they are the hardest to start cold especially when the motor is older. But once you start them they are good to go.
I played with the machine for about 1/2 an hour and my hour meter went from 715 to 733, so I am guessing I have a heck of a lot more hours on it than 715 when I picked it up.

Thank you guys for all your help, I am sure I will have plenty more questions for you in the future.

Frank

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #27  
IMO Hour meters PT provides border on worthless. I have had 2 die, go figure, and have racked 72 hours on my machine without running it (leaving the power switch) Take the meter with a grain of salt. It is good for calculating oil changes, and general servicing, but does little to give you an idea of the condition of your PT.

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #28  
So basically, instead of using starting fluid, you used gasoline in a pray bottle. Yikes!

Glad you got it started.

/ What to look for when testing a used machine
Do you think the gasoline spray is as bad as the starting fluid?

Thanks

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #30  
Do you think the gasoline spray is as bad as the starting fluid?

Thanks

Either burns hotter than gasoline...I've seen enough melted pistons to realize it...lots of marine machine shops have an array of them on a shelf under the sign that says "Don't use Starting Fluid"...FWIW...!