What to look for when testing a used machine

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #51  
Good for you. Sounds like you might have an honest mechanic. Reward him properly if that is the case. :laughing:

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #52  
Seems like I mentioned those valves in three different post.

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #54  
Intake and exhaust.

washita mentioned the valves

MossRoads mentioned the valves X2

Gravy

Tim_in_CT

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #55  
Sorry JJ. It was an attempt at a joke. I had seen all the posts on valves. I love it when levity fails.

/ What to look for when testing a used machine
Here is what I know about the motor.
It runs good when started. Doesn't smoke. Sounds good. Has plenty of power.
The previous owner had it rebuilt in the fall. The hour meter had 715 hrs on it when I bought it.
I listened to all your advice on the board. Did what I knew I could do my self. Talked to Terry at Power Trac, described the best I could all the information I had on the engine. Took his advice on everything, followed it to a tee. Started once with a spray of gas. It started. Next day would not.
Took the 422 to a very reputable small engine mechanic.
He adjusted the valves. Found a bad wire. Thought everything was ok. Had it in his shop for a few days. He got it running.
So the last few days it has been in the mid 40's, she will start.
As soon as she drops below 40 - she won't start. Unbelievable!!!!
Called Robin Subaru. Talked to tech support. He said I need to change the oil in the winter to 5w30 and to buy a heavy duty starter. He said starter doesn't produce the rpms to start the motor in the cold. OK what is the part number. Told him my engine size and year. His reply was there isn't a heavy duty starter for that year engine. Advised I call Terry at Power Trac.
Tonight it is about 35 degrees. I try to start it. Backfiring through the carb and muffler. She won't start.
Just can't believe how good she sounds when she runs. It is just getting it to run. Wish I could have bought a new one.

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #58  
do you cycle all of the controls, ie: joystick, treadle, steering, to relieve any residual hydraulic pressure buildup in the system? before attempting to start the engine. mine it will not start below 30 degrees if I forget to cycle the controls, if I cycle the controls it will start at 20 degrees without any assistance, anything lower than 20 degrees I have to jump start it but it also resides outside most of the year with a tarp over it

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #59  
Told him my engine size and year. His reply was there isn't a heavy duty starter for that year engine..... Wish I could have bought a new one.

You still can! It can be better then new:

http://www.brandnewengines.com/EH722DSF050.aspx

207694d1302406832-pt422-engine-swap-completed-pics-14.jpg

Ask KMA and Vacuous_One how their Fuel Injected 28 HP engine starts in cold weather. Both installed in PT422s.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/power-trac/202389-pt422-engine-swap-completed-pics.html
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...engine-shaking-sputtering-10.html#post2170245

If my engine dies someday, that is what I will do.

So I got to thinking. What about just mounting the Robin EFI throttle body (which contains the ECU) and an electric fuel pump on an existing Robin engine. I think that is the only real difference. Cheaper then replacing the whole engine.

Well, not by much. $480 for the throttle body. ouch. $91 for the fuel pump.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Parts-Lookup/20K6240100/2204455/pd

back OT, what year is your engine? Clean up the battery connections, run a heavier gage wire directly to the starter solenoid instead of the two-part with a post like it comes from the. Every little bit can help.

Mine is a 2005, and it also doesn't like weather below 40F. Making sure I run it at least every 1-2 weeks during the winter helps. Heater underneath the engine for an hour before starting helps.

Do you keep it outside or in the garage?

Last edited:
   / What to look for when testing a used machine #60  
stick on heating pads, magnetic heaters, etc certainly will help when it is cold as will synthetic oil. A good battery, cable, and connections also go a long way towards starting.