What to look for when testing a used machine

/ What to look for when testing a used machine
I replaced mine without pulling the engine. I have a model year 2000. It has pumps in front of and behind the engine. Yours may have pumps on only one end.

Bob, did you replace the starter with a larger one or like for like? I have a 1999 422, it has a pump in the front and one in the back.

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #82  
Bob, did you replace the starter with a larger one or like for like? I have a 1999 422, it has a pump in the front and one in the back.

I replaced it with an upgraded starter that Robin supplied free. It was supposed to help with cold starting, but I did not see a difference. They also gave me two new ignition coils.

Bob, How did you ever get the starter out without pulling the motor?

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #84  
Looks almost impossible to me on my 2005 EH65 PT422.

The picture below makes it look like you have to take off the baffle plate (piece 36), and then the starter (piece 6B) unbolts with two bolts (piece 14) from the side.
Screen Shot 2013-04-06 at 4.59.36 PM.png

Image.jpg

View attachment 311999

In the above image, you can see a hydraulic valve with an actuator or solenoid on top. Should there be two wires coming off the top. I only have one, but appears there another wire was coming off the top next to it, perhaps a ground. I also found an unusual ground wire that appears to have broken off from somewhere.

Also you can see the part of the starter. I can barely get my hand in there to feel around, I have not been able to feel the bolts holding the starter.

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #87  

I am sorry, but it has been over ten years and I don't remember. I may have removed the engine mount bolts from the tub and slid the engine to one side to give me better starter motor access. I am not sure though.

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #88  
View attachment 311999

In the above image, you can see a hydraulic valve with an actuator or solenoid on top. Should there be two wires coming off the top. I only have one, but appears there another wire was coming off the top next to it, perhaps a ground. I also found an unusual ground wire that appears to have broken off from somewhere.

Also you can see the part of the starter. I can barely get my hand in there to feel around, I have not been able to feel the bolts holding the starter.

That silver block with hydraulic hoses and a soleniod on it is, I believe, the main PTO diverter valve and relief valve. When you flip the MAIN PTO switch on the dash, it engages that solenoid which redirects the flow to the main PTO connections on the FEL arms. When not engaged, the flow just goes from the pump through that block and back to the tank.

That silver block with hydraulic hoses and a soleniod on it is, I believe, the main PTO diverter valve and relief valve. When you flip the MAIN PTO switch on the dash, it engages that solenoid which redirects the flow to the main PTO connections on the FEL arms. When not engaged, the flow just goes from the pump through that block and back to the tank.

Is there supposed to be a second wire on that solenoid. The reason I ask it appears there is a hole with a very small corroded wire on it. I have found several wires coming out of the harness that have been cut off. I have an orange wire and a white that I am not sure where they go. I also have three ground wires not attached to anything.

Thanks

Frank

/ What to look for when testing a used machine #90  
Is there supposed to be a second wire on that solenoid. The reason I ask it appears there is a hole with a very small corroded wire on it. I have found several wires coming out of the harness that have been cut off. I have an orange wire and a white that I am not sure where they go. I also have three ground wires not attached to anything.

Thanks

Frank
I'd have to look.... and its DARK! :laughing: I'll be using the machine this weekend and try to remember to take a look for you.