mechanical clutch for subaru engines

/ mechanical clutch for subaru engines #1  

washita

Silver Member
Tractor
pt 425, JI Case, Gravely Comm.10A
sent an e-mail to Continental engines yesterday to get specifications for a mechanical clutch they are building in- house to see if it would be applicable for the PT it looks promising will post more information as I receive it , unit is not very large judging by the pictures but I wonder about the price?

/ mechanical clutch for subaru engines #2  
That would sure reduce the load on starting.

/ mechanical clutch for subaru engines
update ;Ron,

Thank you for your inquiry at Industrial Diesel Engines & Generators For Sale FPT Subaru Wisconsin Yanmar Hatz Parts - Continental Engines - Greenville, SC - Orlando, FL.

I am not sure what you are looking for. The clutch unit is part of the Power Trac unit. They can be reached at 276-988-6543.

I would need the complete engine specification, to provide pricing on replacement engine (i.e. EH722DS5150)

Best Regards,

Mike Cooper

Continental Engines

800-922-5632 ext 1846

864-235-4704 fax

60 Pelham Davis Circle 1016 West Church St

Greenville, SC 29615 Orlando, FL 32805

Industrial Diesel Engines & Generators For Sale FPT Subaru Wisconsin Yanmar Hatz Parts - Continental Engines - Greenville, SC - Orlando, FL

cid:image001.png@01CDD475.C97347D0

obviously I need to research this a little further

/ mechanical clutch for subaru engines #5  
Good find.

They are coupling it with a reduction gear, but I would sure like just the clutch. I have been looking for an inline clutch like that, but the only v-twin clutches I have seen have had a pulley mounted to them.

Subaru EH72 Gear Reduction Clutch - Continental Engines - Greenville, SC - Orlando, FL

image.jpg

Edit:

Looking a little closer, I suspect that the plate above is just a mountingplate, and not the clutch. I think the clutch is resident as part of the reduction gear assembly, based upon the big lever that I assume operates the clutch throwout bearing to engage/disengage it. Don't think that whole thing could be sandwiched into our engne compartments.

image.jpg

Last edited:
   / mechanical clutch for subaru engines #6  
It is too bad that they don't make centrifugal clutches as inline clutches, with a stub shaft instead of pulleys on it. You see those all over the place, and just about every riding lawnmower around seems to use them.

Screen Shot 2013-03-17 at 12.29.06 PM.png

http://www.noramclutch.com/centrifugal-clutch/trilobe.html

edit: hmm, maybe something like this:

search ebay for centrifugal clutch coupling style, and you find a clutch that accepts 1" diameter keyed shafts from both sides.

!BpzEeR!!Wk~$(KGrHqIOKjwEuuiC8Jw!BLs66gJp3w~~_1.JPG

This looks like a BLM clutch, but at least the ebay one of course has the wrong shaft sizes. It appears that you can spec the sizes at BLM, but I haven't found a vendor for them. Of course, this would require some sort of mounting bracket for the hydraulic pumps, since the current mounting bracket is not big enough around for a 5" clutch cylinder.

Anyone know the shaft diameter of the hydraulic pumps that PT installs?

http://www.blm-cm.com/prod1.asp\

Boston Gear also makes centrifugal coupling clutches. Anyone feel like being a guinea pig?

http://www.bostongear.com/products/clutch/chart-centrifugal.html

Last edited: