Circulating Pump / Heater

/ Circulating Pump / Heater #1  

Frank Sorbello

Gold Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-422
I was thinking about how hard starting this Robin is, especially with the hydraulic load that it carries. Is it possible to install an electric circulating pump with a heater into the hydraulic tank.

Thanks

Frank

/ Circulating Pump / Heater #2  
You could just installation in immersion type heater, which I think is a more usual solution to keep hydraulics warm in cold weather.

I have a magnetic block heater, but find it is essentially useless (it is only 300W, and it is the largest I could find). I default to a 220V space heater to get it warmed up when all else fails.

Last edited:
   / Circulating Pump / Heater #4  
You could just installation in immersion type heater, which I think is a more usual solution to keep hydraulics warm in cold weather.
I have a magnetic block heater, but find it is essentially useless (it is only 220W, and it is the largest I could find). I default to a 220V space heater to get it warmed up when all else fails.
They make a 500 watt stick on heater now: Kat's 24500 500 Watt 5.5" x 8.5" Universal Hot Pad Heater : Amazon.com : Automotive stick it to the bottom and let convection take care of the circulation for you.

Aaron Z

/ Circulating Pump / Heater #5  
   / Circulating Pump / Heater #6  
   / Circulating Pump / Heater #7  
If you stick it on the bottom it will get scraped off rather quickly. The PT hydraulic tank is also the skid plate for the bottom of the unit.
Ah, I thought it was inside the tub. Perhaps low on a protected side?

Aaron Z

/ Circulating Pump / Heater #8  
Get that engine running well first. That will resolve most of your troubles.

As I see it, the hydraulic fluid in the pumps (there are three pumps) is cold and thick. They cannot be disengaged from the engine, so the starter has to be able to push not only the engine over, but the cold, thick fluid in all three pumps.

If you warm only the fluid in the tank, the cold, thick fluid will still be in the pumps and lines. The starter will still have to push that through before any warmer fluid can get in there.

I just don't see how warming the fluid in the tank will help that much with starting. If I had to warm the unit up, I would probably throw some heat at the pumps and engine instead. Just watch out for the fuel system or WOOF! :eek:

/ Circulating Pump / Heater #9  
Get that engine running well first. That will resolve most of your troubles.
Sounds like a good place to start
As I see it, the hydraulic fluid in the pumps (there are three pumps) is cold and thick. They cannot be disengaged from the engine, so the starter has to be able to push not only the engine over, but the cold, thick fluid in all three pumps.
If you warm only the fluid in the tank, the cold, thick fluid will still be in the pumps and lines. The starter will still have to push that through before any warmer fluid can get in there.
I just don't see how warming the fluid in the tank will help that much with starting. If I had to warm the unit up, I would probably throw some heat at the pumps and engine instead. Just watch out for the fuel system or WOOF! :eek:
Good point, perhaps a small unit on the pumps (such as Kat's 24050 50 Watt 2"x 5" Universal Hot Pad Heater : Amazon.com : Automotive ) in addition to a big one on the tank?
Then if you wanted to get really fancy, you could have them plug into a triple tap cord (such as Amazon.com: Coleman Cable 04004 6-Feet 14/3-Wire Gauge SJTW Tri-Source Extension Cord, Orange: Home Improvement ) and just plug that in when you want to warm things up.

Aaron Z

/ Circulating Pump / Heater #10  
Sounds like a good place to start

Good point, perhaps a small unit on the pumps (such as Kat's 24050 50 Watt 2"x 5" Universal Hot Pad Heater : Amazon.com : Automotive ) in addition to a big one on the tank?
Then if you wanted to get really fancy, you could have them plug into a triple tap cord (such as Amazon.com: Coleman Cable 04004 6-Feet 14/3-Wire Gauge SJTW Tri-Source Extension Cord, Orange: Home Improvement ) and just plug that in when you want to warm things up.

Aaron Z

That looks pretty good. Cheap price on the heaters, too.