Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Steiner 430

Default Circulating Pump / Heater

I was thinking about how hard starting this Robin is, especially with the hydraulic load that it carries. Is it possible to install an electric circulating pump with a heater into the hydraulic tank.

Thanks

Frank

Tractor
    Power Trac 422 (2005)

Default Re: Circulating Pump / Heater

You could just installation in immersion type heater, which I think is a more usual solution to keep hydraulics warm in cold weather.

I have a magnetic block heater, but find it is essentially useless (it is only 300W, and it is the largest I could find). I default to a 220V space heater to get it warmed up when all else fails.
    Last edited by tmarks11; 02-20-2013 at 06:45 PM. Reason: 300W not 220W
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Tim
    2005 PT-422
    4n1 bucket, minihoe, auger, 48" mower, land pride aerator, tow adaptor, forklift, crane, Herd GT77 spreader, LMB, 60" blade, box blade, M1 abrams turret.
    PT422 (6/23/05) photo page

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Steiner 430

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_in_CT View Post
    You could just installation in immersion type heater, which I think is a more usual solution to keep hydraulics warm in cold weather.
    I have a magnetic block heater, but find it is essentially useless (it is only 220W, and it is the largest I could find). I default to a 220V space heater to get it warmed up when all else fails.
    They make a 500 watt stick on heater now: Kat's 24500 500 Watt 5.5" x 8.5" Universal Hot Pad Heater : Amazon.com : Automotive stick it to the bottom and let convection take care of the circulation for you.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Super Star Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Sorbello View Post
    Not unless you use a coolant loop to heat the tank, or like to burn your equipment up. That's intended to heat antifreeze and could light hydraulic fluid on fire.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    They make a 500 watt stick on heater now: Kat's 24500 500 Watt 5.5" x 8.5" Universal Hot Pad Heater : Amazon.com : Automotive stick it to the bottom and let convection take care of the circulation for you.

Aaron Z
    If you stick it on the bottom it will get scraped off rather quickly. The PT hydraulic tank is also the skid plate for the bottom of the unit.
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Super Star Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by MossRoad View Post
    If you stick it on the bottom it will get scraped off rather quickly. The PT hydraulic tank is also the skid plate for the bottom of the unit.
    Ah, I thought it was inside the tub. Perhaps low on a protected side?

Aaron Z

Tractor

Get that engine running well first. That will resolve most of your troubles.

As I see it, the hydraulic fluid in the pumps (there are three pumps) is cold and thick. They cannot be disengaged from the engine, so the starter has to be able to push not only the engine over, but the cold, thick fluid in all three pumps.

If you warm only the fluid in the tank, the cold, thick fluid will still be in the pumps and lines. The starter will still have to push that through before any warmer fluid can get in there.

I just don't see how warming the fluid in the tank will help that much with starting. If I had to warm the unit up, I would probably throw some heat at the pumps and engine instead. Just watch out for the fuel system or WOOF!
    MossRoad

Of It In Action!!!

Super Star Member
    Tractor

Get that engine running well first. That will resolve most of your troubles.
    Sounds like a good place to start
    As I see it, the hydraulic fluid in the pumps (there are three pumps) is cold and thick. They cannot be disengaged from the engine, so the starter has to be able to push not only the engine over, but the cold, thick fluid in all three pumps.
    If you warm only the fluid in the tank, the cold, thick fluid will still be in the pumps and lines. The starter will still have to push that through before any warmer fluid can get in there.
    I just don't see how warming the fluid in the tank will help that much with starting. If I had to warm the unit up, I would probably throw some heat at the pumps and engine instead. Just watch out for the fuel system or WOOF!
    Good point, perhaps a small unit on the pumps (such as Kat's 24050 50 Watt 2"x 5" Universal Hot Pad Heater : Amazon.com : Automotive ) in addition to a big one on the tank?
    Then if you wanted to get really fancy, you could have them plug into a triple tap cord (such as Amazon.com: Coleman Cable 04004 6-Feet 14/3-Wire Gauge SJTW Tri-Source Extension Cord, Orange: Home Improvement ) and just plug that in when you want to warm things up.

Aaron Z

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    Sounds like a good place to start

Good point, perhaps a small unit on the pumps (such as Kat's 24050 50 Watt 2"x 5" Universal Hot Pad Heater : Amazon.com : Automotive ) in addition to a big one on the tank?
    Then if you wanted to get really fancy, you could have them plug into a triple tap cord (such as Amazon.com: Coleman Cable 04004 6-Feet 14/3-Wire Gauge SJTW Tri-Source Extension Cord, Orange: Home Improvement ) and just plug that in when you want to warm things up.

Aaron Z
    That looks pretty good. Cheap price on the heaters, too.
    MossRoad

Of It In Action!!!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast