Engine Flooded with Fuel

/ Engine Flooded with Fuel #1  

Clumber

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601 HST Nov 2019
Tried to start my PT425 today. It seamed like battery was low, so tried to jump start. Noticed fluid leaking from air filter cover. :eek: Immediately removed battery cables, etc just as the gas fumes became strong smelling. My retired mechanic neighbor and I drained almost a gallon of gas-oil mixture from the engine. The oil filter and the air filter and pre-filter were soaked in gas. An old fuel shutoff from an old lawn mower was installed. We are letting the engine sit the afternoon and overnight to hopefully dry-out. Tomorrow we will replace the oil and filters and charge the battery. I will report back on status.

This the first serious event I had with the PT. It would have been a disaster had I not noticed the seeping fuel, sat in the chair with my back to the engine and tried to jump start-crank the tractor.... From now on I use the shutoff valve and check the condition of the oil via the dipstick before starting the tractor.

/ Engine Flooded with Fuel #2  
Pull the sparkplugs too, let any gas inside the cylinders evaporate.

Time to mount a fire extinguisher on your tractor, if you don't have one already. Makes the difference between a $20 event and a $8000 event....

/ Engine Flooded with Fuel
Thanks for the advice Tim. Forgot to mention that we also pulled the plugs. I am going to give it another 24 hrs to dry - its kinda cold today. I have a small fire extinguisher on the FOPs, but I think that a larger one will be purchased soon.

/ Engine Flooded with Fuel #4  
Did you do anything about the leaking carb?

Probably need to replace the float needle and clean the needle seat. That is where your leak is coming from.

Thanks JJ. Well my mechanic put it all back together this afternoon with new oil & filters. He used carburetor cleaner and adjusted the needle and float. He didn't think it needed to be replaced -might do it anyway. Cranked it over a few times to distribute the oil. Earlier, I had charged the battery from 75% to 100%. The PT started reluctantly after three tries and blew drops of oil and smoke from the exhaust for a few seconds. Ran for ten minutes, then stopped to check an top-off oil. Restarted it easily and ran for 30 minutes. Seems to be running smooth with no issues. Will retest tomorrow. The mechanic said the fuel pump works off a vacuum and can become stuck and not shut the fuel flow. The newly installed fuel shut-off valve should help.

/ Engine Flooded with Fuel #6  
Thanks JJ. Well my mechanic put it all back together this afternoon with new oil & filters. He used carburetor cleaner and adjusted the needle and float. He didn't think it needed to be replaced -might do it anyway. Cranked it over a few times to distribute the oil. Earlier, I had charged the battery from 75% to 100%. The PT started reluctantly after three tries and blew drops of oil and smoke from the exhaust for a few seconds. Ran for ten minutes, then stopped to check an top-off oil. Restarted it easily and ran for 30 minutes. Seems to be running smooth with no issues. Will retest tomorrow. The mechanic said the fuel pump works off a vacuum and can become stuck and not shut the fuel flow. The newly installed fuel shut-off valve should help.
Just curious what color is the smoke that you saw?

The smoke was bluish at first, then a more normal whitish color you see with the choke engaged during a cold start.

The PT started easily yesterday morning after checking the oil and opening the fuel shutoff valve. It was 30 degrees F. We used it all day prepping for the heavy snowfall expected tonight. Heavy pallets of firewood were moved closer to the house. A large portable generator was strapped to a pallet. Then we built a three sided plywood shelter on the pallet. This portable pallet generator + shelter can easily be moved using the forks if power is loss.

Installed studded chains on all four wheels. Attached the snow blower, and backed the rig into the garage ready for action. Will have to clear a mile of private stone road (crusher-mix) and about an acre of dog-run paddocks. Its all fun for a while. Afterwards, will have to take Advil and have a nap.

The PT-425 seems to be operating normally. Looks like I dogged the bullet this time.

Sure sounds like your getting things figured out with your PT.:thumbsup:

Well I get a lot of guidance from this forum off course. It's also nice to have a retired auto and small engine mechanic as a friend living near to keep me out of trouble.

/ Engine Flooded with Fuel #10  
A fuel shut-off valve should be mandatory. It would certainly solve a lot of carb problems!!