Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    PT425 (Dec 2010)

Default Engine Flooded with Fuel

Tried to start my PT425 today. It seamed like battery was low, so tried to jump start. Noticed fluid leaking from air filter cover. Immediately removed battery cables, etc just as the gas fumes became strong smelling. My retired mechanic neighbor and I drained almost a gallon of gas-oil mixture from the engine. The oil filter and the air filter and pre-filter were soaked in gas. An old fuel shutoff from an old lawn mower was installed. We are letting the engine sit the afternoon and overnight to hopefully dry-out. Tomorrow we will replace the oil and filters and charge the battery. I will report back on status.

This the first serious event I had with the PT. It would have been a disaster had I not noticed the seeping fuel, sat in the chair with my back to the engine and tried to jump start-crank the tractor.... From now on I use the shutoff valve and check the condition of the oil via the dipstick before starting the tractor.
    I married me a hippy, ran away with a stringy haired blond,
    Now we're both old and happy, fishing on our own Golden Pond. -- Merle Haggard

PT 425 (Dec 2010), Blade, Snow Blower, Sweeper, Spreader, LMB, 4n1, Small Bucket/Teeth, Utility Grapple, Brush Cutter, Box Blade, Mini Hoe/Thumb, Forks, Power Dumper

Tractor
    2005 Power Trac 422

Default Re: Engine Flooded with Fuel

Pull the sparkplugs too, let any gas inside the cylinders evaporate.

Time to mount a fire extinguisher on your tractor, if you don't have one already. Makes the difference between a $20 event and a $8000 event....
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Now in Port Orchard, WA
    2005 PT-422
    4n1 bucket, minihoe, auger, 48" mower, land pride aerator, tow adaptor, forklift, crane, Herd GT77 spreader, LMB, 60" blade, M1 abrams turret.
    PT422 (6/23/05) photo page

Tractor
    PT425 (Dec 2010)

Thanks for the advice Tim. Forgot to mention that we also pulled the plugs. I am going to give it another 24 hrs to dry - its kinda cold today. I have a small fire extinguisher on the FOPs, but I think that a larger one will be purchased soon.

PT 425 (Dec 2010), Blade, Snow Blower, Sweeper, Spreader, LMB, 4n1, Small Bucket/Teeth, Utility Grapple, Brush Cutter, Box Blade, Mini Hoe/Thumb, Forks, Power Dumper

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

Did you do anything about the leaking carb?

Probably need to replace the float needle and clean the needle seat. That is where your leak is coming from.
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Tractor
    PT425 (Dec 2010)

Thanks JJ. Well my mechanic put it all back together this afternoon with new oil & filters. He used carburetor cleaner and adjusted the needle and float. He didn't think it needed to be replaced -might do it anyway. Cranked it over a few times to distribute the oil. Earlier, I had charged the battery from 75% to 100%. The PT started reluctantly after three tries and blew drops of oil and smoke from the exhaust for a few seconds. Ran for ten minutes, then stopped to check an top-off oil. Restarted it easily and ran for 30 minutes. Seems to be running smooth with no issues. Will retest tomorrow. The mechanic said the fuel pump works off a vacuum and can become stuck and not shut the fuel flow. The newly installed fuel shut-off valve should help.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clumber View Post
    Thanks JJ. Well my mechanic put it all back together this afternoon with new oil & filters. He used carburetor cleaner and adjusted the needle and float. He didn't think it needed to be replaced -might do it anyway. Cranked it over a few times to distribute the oil. Earlier, I had charged the battery from 75% to 100%. The PT started reluctantly after three tries and blew drops of oil and smoke from the exhaust for a few seconds. Ran for ten minutes, then stopped to check an top-off oil. Restarted it easily and ran for 30 minutes. Seems to be running smooth with no issues. Will retest tomorrow. The mechanic said the fuel pump works off a vacuum and can become stuck and not shut the fuel flow. The newly installed fuel shut-off valve should help.
    Just curious what color is the smoke that you saw?

Tractor
    PT425 (Dec 2010)

The smoke was bluish at first, then a more normal whitish color you see with the choke engaged during a cold start.

The PT started easily yesterday morning after checking the oil and opening the fuel shutoff valve. It was 30 degrees F. We used it all day prepping for the heavy snowfall expected tonight. Heavy pallets of firewood were moved closer to the house. A large portable generator was strapped to a pallet. Then we built a three sided plywood shelter on the pallet. This portable pallet generator + shelter can easily be moved using the forks if power is loss.

Installed studded chains on all four wheels. Attached the snow blower, and backed the rig into the garage ready for action. Will have to clear a mile of private stone road (crusher-mix) and about an acre of dog-run paddocks. Its all fun for a while. Afterwards, will have to take Advil and have a nap.

The PT-425 seems to be operating normally. Looks like I dogged the bullet this time.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    PT 422

Sure sounds like your getting things figured out with your PT.

Tractor
    PT425 (Dec 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by cqaigy2 View Post
    Sure sounds like your getting things figured out with your PT.
    Well I get a lot of guidance from this forum off course. It's also nice to have a retired auto and small engine mechanic as a friend living near to keep me out of trouble.

Tractor
    1999 Bobcat 763F John Deer 850 Grasshopper 723K H2

A fuel shut-off valve should be mandatory. It would certainly solve a lot of carb problems!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast